Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Track Junkie said:
With clutchless shifting you are doing manually the exact same thing a power shifter does. If you load the shifter, then momentarily back off the throttle, the transmission will smoothly slip into the next gear. The only difference is that with the power shifter you don't have to cut the throttle since the power shifter does that for you. I haven't used a clutch for upshifting for at least 10 years. What may not be good is when you have a brain lapse and do clutchless downshifts. :oops:
+1 Junkie, I've been telling ppl that for years now. Some are just too cautious to believe it.

G

·
ShaggyZ said:
"...Last I checked, our trannies didn't have synchronizers...."
Constant mesh = no synchros, but the engagement dogs do have to, well, engage...

Even with an airshifter, it doesn't make it an automatic. The primary disadvantage to clutchless shifting is that you lose the cushioning effect of the clutch (more gradual loading). Instead, the power spikes more suddenly...on-off-on... which will increase the transient loading on the dogs.

Will it live? probably. I'm not saying don't do it (I do it!), but just be aware that there's no such thing as a free lunch.

The link that uthaug posted really is a good read, by someone who knows wherof he speaks (at least ASAIK- this is the internet, y'know!)

:)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Assuming

The article explains why you can shift clutchless without doing serious damage to the transmission. What isn't emphasized is that old statement "if you do it correctly". I've known skilled riders who shift clutchless for years without a problem. I've known more ham-fisted types (not necessarily newbies) who wrecked their transmissions in a matter of months.

Me, I'll assume I want to keep the bike and use the clutch. Even though I'm 58 my reactions are still good enough to enable me to operate the clutch, shifter and throttle at the same time, thus avoiding potential damage from mistakes and taking advantage of the cushioning effect of the clutch.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
scooby doo said:
I always use the clutch down shifting and I clutchless up shift only when I am hard on the throttle.
Yeah I'm doin more of the clutchless shifts over 7k cause that red line comes on like whoa!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
racing motocross we always downshift clutchless. it locks the rear, but on dirt that doesnt really matter. i never had a single transmission issue ever.

·
Registered
597 Posts
owndjoo said:
racing motocross we always downshift clutchless. it locks the rear, but on dirt that doesnt really matter. i never had a single transmission issue ever.
+1 Dirt riding is perfect to push the limits of everything you can do on two wheels.

G

·
treoff said:
owndjoo said:
+1 Dirt riding is perfect to push the limits of everything you can do on two wheels.
Not to beat a dead horse -I think we're already past that point again- the key phrase here is "...it locks the rear, but on dirt that doesnt really matter...". If the rear wheel doesn't lock (as on a streetbike), where does that force go?

:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
but I think he meant for downshifting. I always use my clutch for downshifting. But when i quickshift up it's nice and smooth. It just sucks the lever into the next gear.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
treoff said:
o_town_racer said:
"O_Town" = Orlando
"Racer" = I used to autocross

I've used this same screen name for years....has nothing to do with the SV650.

What does TREOFF stand for? Was that you riding that red SV into the tree?
Orlando, Flordia .... Hummm just curious what you think a twisty road with elevation changes looks like?

Just stop talking.
Don't be so sure we don't have twisty roads in O-Town, the center of the state is vastly different then the coastal areas.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Nexus242 said:
treoff said:
o_town_racer said:
"O_Town" = Orlando
"Racer" = I used to autocross

I've used this same screen name for years....has nothing to do with the SV650.

What does TREOFF stand for? Was that you riding that red SV into the tree?
Orlando, Flordia .... Hummm just curious what you think a twisty road with elevation changes looks like?

Just stop talking.

Don't be so sure we don't have twisty roads in O-Town, the center of the state is vastly different then the coastal areas.
So answer the question then...Pics?

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Shit, NW indiana is the place for sh*tty as roads... I think i've maybe 3 good twisty roads up here..good as in...good compared to what else is in this area.

:evil:

·
Registered
12 Posts
YAY...I just started clutchless upshifting this week......it's much faster and smoother.....don't know that I'll do it all the time on the street, but it should help me keep up on the straights on the track (that and apparantly I need to turn the fast handle more :roll: )

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.