Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently told by a freind how to quickshift and that's all I do now. Does anyone else upshift this way? Are there any drawbacks to this type of shifting? I heard that as ong as i don't do it in the shift to second I should be alright. is that true?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I always use the clutch down shifting and I clutchless up shift only when I am hard on the throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do it sometimes. Not all the time though b/c im not sure if it "hurts" anything... Im a noob to motorcycles. Im pretty sure you cant do it from 1st to 2nd though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why would you even take a chance at damaging your bike? If you really want to "quick-shift", there is a device that racers use to shift without the clutch that momentarily kills the ignition to allow you to shift without the clutch and not do any damage to your engine, clutch, transmission, etc. Here's a description from the Holeshot website:

" In the beginning...

In 1977 when Dale built his first 8 second Kawasaki turbo charged drag bike, air shifters, rev limiters, and under-cut transmissions were unheard of. The rider would simply back off the throttle for an instant (throttle-shift) or hold the throttle wide open and fan the clutch (power-shift) to select the next gear during a drag race. Running 30 lbs of boost with around 250 horsepower on tap was awesome back then. But when you missed a shift it got really ugly. Bent valves, damaged pistons, cylinder head damage, and even a trashed crank shaft was not uncommon.
The Electric Powershifter Idea

Design a system that would kill the engines ignition system momentarily between shifts. This would allow the rider to hold the throttle full open and just move the shifter pedal to complete the upshifts without clutching. The first unit worked so well that Dale decided to make kits for many other models (over 50 to this date). Since then, racers worldwide have been using our Powershifters with great success. The Electric Powershifter not only makes a lightning fast shift, but is also very easy on the transmission, clutch/clutch basket, and the entire drive train.
The Holeshot Electric Powershifter 2TM is Born

In 1991 Dale developed the Electric Powershifter 2. After a year of testing, he came up with the most user friendly unit yet. It's a snap to install, works on just about any motorcycle, and is easy to dial in with the external kill time adjustment. It can be used for dragracing, roadracing, superbike or GP, Harleys, quads/ATV, and shifter race karts. It's awesome!"

The web site says it's only $199.95....cheap insurance IMHO.

http://www.holeshot.com/shifters/ps2.html

N

·
0 Posts
I don't think the world will stop spinning if you shift 1-2 without the clutch, but it's more difficult to match speeds in the lower gears which may be where that caution comes from.

As far as drawbacks- of course, isn't there always! In addition to disengaging the driven shaft from the driving shaft the clutch reduces shock loading on the trans as you change gears. When you speed shift you're momentarily unloading the driving gearset by blipping the throttle but unless you're doing this with supernatural precision you're still shock loading the trans more than you would if you used the clutch.

Unless you're ham-fisted you won't see any ill effects immediately, but over time you may see increased wear on the engagement dogs resulting in missed shifts, false neutrals and popping out of gear.

:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
o_town_racer, I have a bridge to sell you real cheap.

If you don't want to damage your bike, throw away the key and keep it in the garage! What's the fun of having a bike (An Sv no less) if your not gunna have some fun and build your skills.

Not every bike you ride is gunna have a quick shifter. But every bike I throw a leg over will. Hardware is no replacement for software. 8)

Edit: Period :lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Treoff - not all of us are "wanna-be" racers. I enjoy "riding my bike and improving my skills" just as much as the next guy, but I intend to use my clutch when I shift. I did not say that I had bought the holeshot device, I was simply trying to enlighten minds as to a safe way to shift without a clutch. If you plan on doing it on every bike you ride, more power to you. You're never going to be offered a ride on my bike though!

T

·
0 Posts
o_town_racer said:
Why would you even take a chance at damaging your bike? If you really want to "quick-shift", there is a device that racers use to shift without the clutch that momentarily kills the ignition to allow you to shift without the clutch and not do any damage to your engine, clutch, transmission, etc.
With clutchless shifting you are doing manually the exact same thing a power shifter does. If you load the shifter, then momentarily back off the throttle, the transmission will smoothly slip into the next gear. The only difference is that with the power shifter you don't have to cut the throttle since the power shifter does that for you. I haven't used a clutch for upshifting for at least 10 years. What may not be good is when you have a brain lapse and do clutchless downshifts. :oops:

·
Registered
597 Posts
o_town_racer said:
Treoff - not all of us are "wanna-be" racers. I enjoy "riding my bike and improving my skills" just as much as the next guy, but I intend to use my clutch when I shift. I did not say that I had bought the holeshot device, I was simply trying to enlighten minds as to a safe way to shift without a clutch. If you plan on doing it on every bike you ride, more power to you. You're never going to be offered a ride on my bike though!
"Treoff - not all of us are "wanna-be" racers." - o_town_racer Hummm....

"You're never going to be offered a ride on my bike though!" - That's allright, yellow is faster anyway. :wink:

N

·
0 Posts
Both DW's quick shifter and Treoff's "software" do the same thing. Holeshot's just does the exact same thing every time, something important in drag racing.

An air or electric shifter makes sense for drag racing since it eliminates one variable. With a modified trans (undercut gears) it would be safer than having the rider shift (miss a shift, blow the motor).

Either way may cause more wear on the trans than using the clutch. Not a real concern for a race engine, but it may be for a street engine.

:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
"O_Town" = Orlando
"Racer" = I used to autocross

I've used this same screen name for years....has nothing to do with the SV650.

What does TREOFF stand for? Was that you riding that red SV into the tree?

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I think I'm gonna have to lean towards using my clutch on this one. I've never been in a situation where I need to shift that fast. Granted, I've test the... acceleration capabilities... of my bike. But I just like practicing letting off, pulling in, clicking up, letting go and getting on as quick as I can. I don't know. Guess it's just me... and o-townracer

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
When I'm "in hot pursuit" I'll tach it up until the rev limiter kicks then let off the throttle a little and gently tug the shiftert up the next gear.
I don't think I've ever done this into second...

It can't possibly be good for the syncros or shift dogs though I beat the crap out of my FZR600 like this on the track (no rev limiter to bounce off of either!) and the bike was still 100% after 2 seasons.

·
Registered
597 Posts
o_town_racer said:
"O_Town" = Orlando
"Racer" = I used to autocross

I've used this same screen name for years....has nothing to do with the SV650.

What does TREOFF stand for? Was that you riding that red SV into the tree?
Orlando, Flordia .... Hummm just curious what you think a twisty road with elevation changes looks like?

Just stop talking.

·
Registered
597 Posts
'03 Silver SV 650-Suzuki Fender Elim/Ermax hugger & belly pan/Givi A755 mini-fairing/FIAA Freeway Blaster low tone horn/frame & swingarm sliders/aluminum radiator guards/Koubalink mirror extenders/Fenda Extenda
Oh BTW, I bet your bike looks real nice sitting at a coffee shop.

You gunna post what gear you wear too?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Last I checked, our trannies didn't have synchronizers.

I upshift and downshift clutchless 90% of the time in my street riding. Once you become adept, it's great. I can safely upshift when leaned over in a turn because the shift doesn't upset the bike nearly as much as clutched shifting: mostly because it's so much faster.

I thought I'd mention that the friend of mine who has a turbo Hayabusa has been running an airshifter for awhile. It came with his turbo kit. He just flips a button on the throttle which cuts the ignition and a mechanical piece kicks the shifter up a gear. He's about to hook up an RPM activated switch that automatically upshifts for him at designated RPMs in each gear. It's an AUTOMATIC, HYDROMATIC... grumble, something, something.

Josh

·
Registered
142 Posts
:roll:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts