Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of many riders not having licenses and some not having insurance. Hadn't heard it in awhile until my neighbor (the one with the '06 GSXR1000 with the single front brake rotor) told me he doesn't ride with insurance. He rides the freaking thing somewhat regularly, too.
That's just dumb for his sake and that of others (those he might collide into).

·
Registered
92 Posts
i'll be the first to right here that i do not have insurance. My bike already carries a salvage title but i did a lot of work on it to understand what's wrong with it. That being said, i do not ride twisties but rather just commute to school and library. I also ride with gear. I also ride very cautiously and keep steady with how much throttle i give it.

I don't have insurance because i accept the low probabillity that i will not get into the type of an accident where i would direly need it. One day i will get insurance if i decide to ride more seriously. However, having an sv650 + salvage title as a young college student doesn't do well with insurers except to get the medical coverage or just liability.

·
Registered
197 Posts
In FL you don't have to have it on a motorcycle. It's a no fault state, so the only person you are screwing is yourself. I don't have insurance though either. If I'm in an accident, the bike would be a loss, the only thing I'm worried about is medical.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
athflying79 said:
so the only person you are screwing is yourself.
+1. I can't understand how NEbody living in FL DOESN'T have insurance on their bike.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
gahdzila said:
I thought all state laws required at least liability insurance on all motor vehicles, including motorcycles.

I have full coverage right now, since my bike is financed.  After it's paid off, I will probably drop the full coverage and carry liability only.
many states do not require insurance, for instance NH, requires financial responsibility, if you get in a accident without insurance and can pay your obligations, you all set, if not, then you lose your license until you can show proof of financial responsibility.... I think its called a SR22 form.... I carry insurance, not minimum either, minimum is a joke, you might's well not have insurance

I would not go on the road with less than 1million liability coverage

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
ride_naked said:
+1. I can't understand how NEbody living in FL DOESN'T have insurance on their bike.
I haven't gotten it yet either and I'm riding every day. I'm gonna give up my storage unit to save that cash and will find something to cover the bike mainly from theft. I'm more worried about going down myself, which I've done already, instead of hitting something else. Hopefully if I do I'll be dead so I won't have to worry about paying anything and what ever life insurance policy I may have will cover the other persons losses.

Personally I think I'll be hit and run off the road by some stupid British tourist trying to cross 3 lanes of traffic to goto Wet-N-Wild or get onto I-Drive. So Florida doesn't require insurance on bikes .

:)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
you don't necessarily need insurance to cover your bike in an accident, but to ride without insurance to cover you or someone else involved in your accident is just stupid.

jersey requires that you carry a minimal amount of insurance.

G

·
A lot of states require an uninsured motorist fee if you can not show proof of it at registration, not sure if this goes for bikes here either as I've always insured them.

I'm pretty sure I have
300k liability
300k uninsured
5k medical(I may dump this since I have health insurance)
comp/$500 ded

Its like 510 a year, with about 100 being the friggin medical alone.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have full medical through work. I have liability fire and theft on the bike but no colision. I had a split policy on this same bike when I first got it. It was fully covered all but 3 winter months out of the year. The bike got stolen. Guess what months it was stolen in? 24 days before my full coverage started it was stolen and I got jack $hit from the ins. co. The bike was recovered after a joy ride and run from the cops. My bullet proof little bady was worse for the wear but all things considered only cosmetic damage nothing internal. So now I carry theft fire liabilty. PS....I never heard of a state that didn't require at least liability.  

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
ok, those of you whom don't have atleast liability are dumb. For me it cost $300 a yr with progressive and allstate offered me $173 for the same coverage{to lazy to switch}. If you get pulled over and given a No insurance ticket that itself is worth $250 then you just lost out. Now, on cars, which i do have insurance at $117 for liability is a rippoff. Considering I never get in my cage.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Muddturtle3 said:
Its your bike now?
Pretty much, turns out my bud says he wont be able to pick it up until middle of next year, so it stays with me. He's talking about getting a new R6 or something, so I may just buy it off of him for cheap or whatever. It was insured in my name, so it became my financial obligation. Too much moola though...not worth it since I ride it maybe once every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i think you should have atleast liability. my friend doesn't even have his licences (i don't know why he just doesn't go for the road test i mean he can out ride me for god sakes) but his bike is inspected and insured.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
B.a. said:
i think you should have atleast liability. my friend doesn't even have his licences (i don't know why he just doesn't go for the road test i mean he can out ride me for god sakes) but his bike is inspected and insured.
How can he have insurance on a bike without a license? one of the first prerequisites for insurance is a valid license.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Novadesigns said:
How can he have insurance on a bike without a license? one of the first prerequisites for insurance is a valid license.
Might be a state thing, cause the same went for me here in NY, they didnt give a rat's ass (wonderjosh) at the DMV.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts