Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to Pep Boy's to check out if they had the SV fitment filters. They did not. When I asked if they could order it for me, the answer was 'no.' They had all the Auto apps available, but they don't even stock the part I need in their warehouse.

So where are you Purolator filter users get your part from?

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just called another Pep Boys and they have it in stock. Maybe the parts guy couldn't find the part cause I gave him the Fram number to look up the Purolator part. Or he just friggin lied to me about not being able to order it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i don't have any pepboys nearby up here...any other parts stores that sell them? advanced? autozone? etc...

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I went down to Pep Boy's to check out if they had the SV fitment filters. They did not. When I asked if they could order it for me, the answer was 'no.' They had all the Auto apps available, but they don't even stock the part I need in their warehouse.

So where are you Purolator filter users get your part from?
Your Pep Boys sucks turtle nuts. Please go back there and tell the store manger that it does.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your Pep Boys sucks turtle nuts. Please go back there and tell the store manger that it does.

dude, I was at the filter isle for 30 minutes looking... they don't got it in stock at that particular Pep Boys. Though for sure they got to stock it in the warehouse. Parts guy must had a bad day or something, he didn't look quite right when I talked to him. Oh well, the other pep boys had only 2 in stock and they are holding one for me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
thanks for the link. amazon seriously sells anything..they're almost turning into the non-bidding ebay!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,911 Posts
Just called another Pep Boys and they have it in stock. Maybe the parts guy couldn't find the part cause I gave him the Fram number to look up the Purolator part. Or he just friggin lied to me about not being able to order it.
That's a big problem with stores like that - if the computer doesn't show it, or you don't have a p/n, it doesn't exist...

I like to see parts guys/gals with dirty clothes and greasy fingernails - they're the ones that know what they are talking about can get you what you need when you don't know exactly what you need.

I run the Purolator also, but was surprised to find out (true -from SVR) that the bike filters were made in China - car filters are not. I've always respected Purolator, but now I'm not sure.

I may look for another brand when I use the ones I have.

Jay

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a big problem with stores like that - if the computer doesn't show it, or you don't have a p/n, it doesn't exist...

I like to see parts guys/gals with dirty clothes and greasy fingernails - they're the ones that know what they are talking about can get you what you need when you don't know exactly what you need.
Yeah, for the most part. I usually look for the ASE patch on their shirt. If there is an ASE'ed parts guy on staff, that's the guy/girl I want to talk to. I think a lot of autozone guys are ASE certed. At least the ones I've been to. Usually the manager or head salesperson. NAPA parts also have a high percentage of their parts guys ASE certed.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know. Haven't installed it yet. Shouldn't be any worse than pretty much any other oil filter. If you've seen the filters cut open, you would see it's of very high quality construction. From what I've seen, the construction looks like a Bosch filter but with more filtering element. And I KNOW Bosch make some good oil filters. This is my opinion from experience. I've always used Fram for the cost and track record of never ever having one failed. Since the Purolators don't cost much more than the Fram filters that are made with cheaper materials, why wouldn't I buy the better filter for the same money? Purolator appears to give you more filter for you money. I really don't see any reason not to try it out.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Thanks for the Purolator link at Amazon. Even shipped, the price from Amazon is way better than any price I can find locally.

I use Purolator Pure One filters in my Honda Accord, they are rated No. 1 by SAE for filtering efficiency. The filters for motorcycles are not the same grade, but might be as good as anything else out there.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No prob. I didn't order it from amazon cause I want one NOW! lol I didn't want to wait for it in the mail. If I like them I'm probably going to get quite a few from them and stock some. They got those twofers with other models. Good thing Mazda and Nissan use the same thread pitch on the filters, probably get a case of those with a few suzuki filters. The filter fitment will cover most Mazdas, Nissans, and Hondas. I guess Toyota wanted to be different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
why not try out the wix filter , have used them for many years on my cars and trucks , and now on my bike a k7 .......even made in the good old usa not f-ing china part # 51359

·
Registered
789 Posts
why not try out the wix filter , have used them for many years on my cars and trucks , and now on my bike a k7 .......even made in the good old usa not f-ing china part # 51359
I used to use the Wix/Napa filter... only once because the filter costs about $10!!! :eek:

I went to purolator hoping that at least purolator quality control has some influence over the China manufacturing site. I hope that they're not using china products and only the labor... sorry if that sounds kinda inhumane.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Where can you get Wix Does it cost the same as Fram like the Purolators do?

The good ole USA make a tone of crap too. Just slightly better crap than China. You think the auto companies would have need to be bailed out if the DIDN'T make Crap? (good on Ford motors)

They say Buy USA to support the economy. Dude, dont you think it is the Americans making the money? Who is profitting more from the cheap labor? The factories in China or the retail stores in the US that jack up the profit margin? Do you not think the shippers are American and Truckers who transport the China crap don't make any money off of these thing? What about "Joe the warehouse guy? " The shipments of goods from China gives him a job... work to do and money in the bank, thus food on his and his family's table. Yada yada. blah blah. you get the picture.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think I've seen the Fram motorcycle filters cut open before. Hmmm..

Would a can opener work? lol... NO, seriously. I'm going to cut that sucker open and take a look see.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts