Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy way to take the **** stuff off?

I installed some a few months ago and shortly there after it started cracking. Found that it was caused due to using a wet application method. The seller sent me another set and i set to work removing the cracked stripes.

Well, they just wont give up without a fight. I've tried heating them, wetting them, scraping them.. i get pieces of it at a time. I finally got my left rear side cleared but not without first scratching the **** out of the rim. (My own fault sorta for not going slower and taking my time)

So now I ask, is there an easy way to remove the stripes without stabbing one's self with a screwdriver?

:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try acetone or MEK. Just be careful not to get those solvents on the tire.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, as I just spent a fair bit of time today getting all the factory stickers off my bike (with quite a bit of difficulty I might add), this is my recommendation for "tough sticky stuff" removal:

Wet down the surface with a removing product. I used Goo Gone, others recommend Goof Off or just pure acetone. All of these (as I was assured by the man at my hardware store) will work and not damage the paint. I would be careful around your tire however.

Next (this is probably the most important step). Is yes, a hairdryer. I know you said you already tried it, but I would urge you to try it again. The reason your using a hairdryer here is to soften and melt the glue. Now, the glue will adhere again very quickly after heat is removed, so try and peel it off WHILE you have high heat on it. I would also say to keep the hairdryer very close to the wheel tape for a while (maybe as long a 3-5 minutes). You really want to get that glue melted. That being said, watch your tire here, you don't want to damage it.

Maybe that helps, after that, put more of your "cleaner" on a rag and just scrub away.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts