Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am going to buy a torque wrench (probably craftsman) in the next week what should I get. I figured 3/8" drive but what style: electronic, the one with the twist handle or the one with the needle that points to the amount of torque. I am going to have it forever so cost is not really a factor (within reason) I just want the best one. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Click wrenches are NOT necesarily more accurate. They have to be calibrated regularly. Electronics I don't trust at all, but then I'm old and crotchety. Beam wrenches are not as easy to use, but they never need calibration. You really need a couple of ranges. Note that many of the fasteners on the bike are only 15 ft-lbs of torque, some are 120+. One torque wrench will not do a good job on that wide a range.

If you decide on a click style wrench definitely get a name brand that you can have calibrated (annually if you use it a bit).

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'd get one inch pound 1/4" o 3/8" click style and one ft pound 3/8" or 12" click style.

You want an inch pound torque wrench for small, low torque bolts, like the ones found all in and around the motor.

Then you also want a big monster torque wrench for your car and big bolts, like motor mount bolts, counter shaft bolts, and rear axle bolt(s).

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have two 3/8. One is inch/lb for smaller stuff.--click style Snap-On

I recently bought a Snap-On digital torque wrench that does inch/ lb, foot/ lb and newton. meters>>>5-100ft/lb

It was pricey, but I like the wide range for more usage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts