Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my mind set on buying myself a sv650 but having trouble deciding which to get. There are currently a couple sv650's for sale on my local craigslist. My choices are between:

2003 SV650s Savaged Titled, no mods, spray painted fairings - $1500

2005 SV650 Clean Title, perfect - $2700

2006 SV650s Savaged Title, good condition, already has some mods that I would end up doing - $2000

I eventually want to have a naked sv650, and I could do the conversion myself if I got either of the SV650s's, but the SV650 is already a naked and exactly what I want. Would it be worth it to save $1200 and do the conversion myself? Or save 700 and buy the one with mods I want, such as exhaust, tail eliminator, new fork oil, new battery, new tires. Also I really like the black frame but I guess I could live with the 2003 silver frame since its so much cheaper. My eventually goal for the bike would be to have it look similar to the member ASCSurveyor's white sv650, not sure how a similar paint scheme would look on a silver frame.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Hard to give an honest opinion with so little info.

Maybe include the links to the listings would help.

From the sounds of it I would go with the 05 or 06, with the 05 being the better one of the two as it has a clean title which hints more that it is in better consition.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
How many miles on the '05? Did the seller say you you need new battery, tires, and fork oil? Would the other bikes also need such items? All might need new chain and sprockets if original, new shock, etc.? $2700 is in between the KBB retail value and the trade-in value. If you want a naked, it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Must be nice to be able to buy/sell salvage title bikes! Obviously making a decision is tough. If you can have the salvage bike checked out than that leaves you more money to upgrade it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard to give an honest opinion with so little info.

Maybe include the links to the listings would help.

From the sounds of it I would go with the 05 or 06, with the 05 being the better one of the two as it has a clean title which hints more that it is in better consition.
The ads don't have much info on them. The only ad with any info really is the 06:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3039837353.html
The seller doesn't believe it can be licensed in my state but I have researched this extensively and it can be, its just quite a process.

Here is the 03:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3065759880.html
I have talked to the guy and he sent me pictures, its a bad spray can paint job but all the plastic/tank seems in good condition.

And the 05, least info in the ad of them all:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3036512097.html

How many miles on the '05? Did the seller say you you need new battery, tires, and fork oil? Would the other bikes also need such items? All might need new chain and sprockets if original, new shock, etc.? $2700 is in between the KBB retail value and the trade-in value. If you want a naked, it's a no-brainer.
I feel like I could do the naked conversion myself and save money in the end if I bought one of the s versions. From what I have read people do the conversion and can break even/ make money after selling their old fairing, lights, ect.

Based on the provided info. 05 all day. Salvage titles are a killer
Why are salvage titles killer if I can get it so much cheaper, obviously it wouldn't resell easy but I'm not worried about that.

Must be nice to be able to buy/sell salvage title bikes! Obviously making a decision is tough. If you can have the salvage bike checked out than that leaves you more money to upgrade it.
I plan on having a friend who buys/sells motorcycles and cars come with me to the check out the bikes before I buy one. I feel like if I got the 03 I would have 1200 extra vs buying the 05 which I could spend making the bike exactly how I want.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Based on the limited info given, I would only consider the '05. I personally wouldn't want to deal with a salvaged titled bike.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Agreed, go for the clean title.

If you do buy a salvage title bike, make sure they'll let you register it. Most states won't without a re-inspection which can sometimes be a PITA (it is in CT at least).

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
salvaged titles could be no big deal. get the story behind it first. the price to repair a dropped bike might be more then what the bike is worth and then you get a salvage title.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I wouldnt trust the salvage titles because even if you are told what happened, you cannot trust that there is more you arent being told. If you go for the salvage title, I would make sure it is thoroughly inspected first.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
After seeing the ads. I would keep looking, unless you like the white paint job.

The 03 is spray painted, yuck. And is obviously owned by a less than functional member of society, judging by his engreish skilz. Usually I don't give those ads a second look. If they can't freakin' write, why would you trust any work they've done on a motorcycle?

Maybe, if you got the 06 for the right price it could be worth it. I would only pay about $1,500 for it assuming everything checked out on it, which seems less than likely.

Almost no one wants a bike with a salvage title, They are usually screwy to register, and no matter what the PO says, the bike was totaled. I don't care what story he tells me. The bike was totaled. That's why it has a salvage title. You say you don't care about resale value, I say BS. When it comes time to sell you will learn why most don't bother with them. Heck, even the guy selling the 06 says
I will only consider clean title motorcycles.
What does that tell ya?

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
used clean titled bikes could be just as bad. you crash then repair it without telling your insurance bike stays clean, but could have been "totaled".

want to be sure buy new...

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
used clean titled bikes could be just as bad. you crash then repair it without telling your insurance bike stays clean, but could have been "totaled".

want to be sure buy new...
Oh I won't argue that at all. It sure happens. Which is a good reminder to always check every nook and cranny you possibly can.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
2003 is the "Bastid child"............it has many parts that fit ONLY that yr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After seeing the ads. I would keep looking, unless you like the white paint job.

The 03 is spray painted, yuck. And is obviously owned by a less than functional member of society, judging by his engreish skilz. Usually I don't give those ads a second look. If they can't freakin' write, why would you trust any work they've done on a motorcycle?

Maybe, if you got the 06 for the right price it could be worth it. I would only pay about $1,500 for it assuming everything checked out on it, which seems less than likely.

Almost no one wants a bike with a salvage title, They are usually screwy to register, and no matter what the PO says, the bike was totaled. I don't care what story he tells me. The bike was totaled. That's why it has a salvage title. You say you don't care about resale value, I say BS. When it comes time to sell you will learn why most don't bother with them. Heck, even the guy selling the 06 says What does that tell ya?
Some of the best deals I have got from craigslist have been from "less than functional member of society", as they aren't smart enough to realize they are selling their item for much less than it's worth. I am also a little leery when buying something from someone who can't type a sentence, but where I live their seems to be an abundance of them.

2003 is the "Bastid child"............it has many parts that fit ONLY that yr.
I have read something about this, could you expand on this for me? Which parts only fit that year? From what I have read it has a different subframe which means the tail section is slightly higher which means seats and tail eliminators have to be year specific for 03s.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Hold out for a blue one, it's faster.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I have read something about this, could you expand on this for me? Which parts only fit that year? From what I have read it has a different subframe which means the tail section is slightly higher which means seats and tail eliminators have to be year specific for 03s.
Subframe, little triangle pieces that go underneath the seat, FI system, all '03 specific.

My google-fu tells me the seat height is the same from 03+ (800mm) but the first gen gives you an extra 5mm!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts