Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently riding an '84 Honda Nighthawk S and am considering upgrading. Despite my bike's antique status, I am still usually #1 or #2 to reach the end of the ride of our local sportbike meetup (depends on whether the CBR600RR came that ride or not, there's just nothing my old Nighthawk can do about that CBR's top speed!). I was thinking of upgrading to a Honda Hawk NT650, but was then reading that the SV650 is supposed to be quite a bit better.

If I were to get an SV650, which one should I look for? Carbs or EFI? Round tube or square tube frame, etc? Naked or faired (I hear the faired bikes have a racier clip-ons and rear-sets)? I don't know much about modern motorcycles.

·
Thumper Squad
3,279 Posts
Get a 1st gen (99-02)........but I'm a little biased;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
carb go with the curvies (pre 03) and FI is 03-present. naked vs faired is more of a personal feel. I don't own a sv (YET!), but I hear nothing but good.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You'll be surprised as to how far modern sportbikes have come in the last 25 years. My last naked, prior to the SV, was an 86 V65 Sabre. Wonderful bike with great ergonomics. But my 07 SV is a great machine..very fast for a 650. My advice is to go look around..go vist some good cycle shops and know what you want. The SV is an excellent pick.

·
Registered
601 Posts
go with FI for sure 03+. The standard model is pretty upright, the S model has the clipons and has a little more flexed forward position. The new S model has a full fairing while the 03 to 08 has the 1/2 fairing. Can't go wrong with either bike, I love mine. The S model is not quite as comfortable for long rides but is great for commuting.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Naked is the only way to go! ;D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Go Naked!!!! SDRider that is a gorgeous bike! I almost went with the SM bars -OP be aware that the factory bars sit you higher and wider - SDRider has a very popular set of aftermarket bars that place you closer to what you would get with the S model clipies. I went the opposite direction and mounted up a ProTaper Mini Hon wide as **** bar:)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I like my 1st. gen.SvS .......mostly cause it's gone 70,000mi. w/ out one single problem!!!
& it hauls ass too!!!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I own an 07 but I've ridden a first generation and honestly the handling, ergos, and power delivery feel exactly the same to me...if I did'nt look down and the bike I never would have been able to tell the difference.

The S-vs-N has pretty much been covered, S= hunched over more N= more upright, and of course the S has plastics. Really the only major difference is the FI, if you want easy to adjust go with carbs, if you just don't feel like adjusting anything ever go with FI...The FI is reasonably easy to troubleshoot thanks to trouble codes and what not. With carbs that depends on how much you know....other than that their tit-for-tat, first gens are getting a bit harder to find parts for now also.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
They're all good.
If your Nighthawk still has the stock handlebar, then a Naked would be closer to that riding postion, although a little more leaned-forward, and the S would feel much sportier.
You're already used to having carburetors, so I don't think EFI vs carbs is all that big an issue.
The 1st gen is '99 thru '02, some call them Curvies. They're the ones with carbs.
I've got a 2nd gen but I love the looks of those Curvies, and if I ever find a real sweet stock one I may become a 2-SV owner...
Good luck.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have an SVS that I converted to naked. I too once had a nighthawk. Great bikes. You will probably love (really love) an SV if you like the nighthawk. It's another do anything, cheap to keep bike. This forum is invaluable if you do go with an SV, I know of no other bike specific moto forum with this kind of support and info. Throw us a pic of that nighthawk if you get a chance :)

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I have an SVS that I converted to naked. I too once had a nighthawk. Great bikes. You will probably love (really love) an SV if you like the nighthawk. It's another do anything, cheap to keep bike. This forum is invaluable if you do go with an SV, I know of no other bike specific moto forum with this kind of support and info. Throw us a pic of that nighthawk if you get a chance :)
Agreed on all counts.

Especially the pic request! We love pics of motorcycles here. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm currently riding an '84 Honda Nighthawk S and am considering upgrading. Despite my bike's antique status, I am still usually #1 or #2 to reach the end of the ride of our local sportbike meetup (depends on whether the CBR600RR came that ride or not, there's just nothing my old Nighthawk can do about that CBR's top speed!). I was thinking of upgrading to a Honda Hawk NT650, but was then reading that the SV650 is supposed to be quite a bit better.

If I were to get an SV650, which one should I look for? Carbs or EFI? Round tube or square tube frame, etc? Naked or faired (I hear the faired bikes have a racier clip-ons and rear-sets)? I don't know much about modern motorcycles.
if you want to catch the CBR you'll need the 1000.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I Really the only major difference is the FI, if you want easy to adjust go with carbs, if you just don't feel like adjusting anything ever go with FI.

so what is it that you have to adjust on a carbed SV that you don't have to adjust on a FI'd SV?

both recommend syncronization every 7500 miles

the FI also has throttle positon sensor adjustments

the carbed SV actually requires LESS adjustment

1 - 20 of 31 Posts