Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Never been in here before! :eek:

I just recently went through a Precision Cornering School out here on the Horse Thief Mile track at Willow Springs Int'l Raceway. I've never been on a track before. It wasn't a racing school per se but more of a workshop for mountain road touring. I was able to do pretty close to 80 miles on that track throughout the day with the last hour being allowed to run at our own pace within the "no passing" limitations forced by the situation.

This is pretty typical for me but this really opened up a can of worms!!

I'm planning on doing a track day this season. I want to go through one of the organizations that has an "Academy" where you get some schooling and some one on one on your first day out in addition to the regular "track day" arrangement. I think I'll be good to go on my current SV for the initial track day or 2 but being only 3 hours from Willow Springs and only 2 from Buttonwillow Raceway, I have a pretty good feeling that this will become addictive.Like I said before...it's pretty typical of me to dive into sh!t pretty deep!

For now, I only invision myself doing this on a "C" class or level 1 basis, just to get my yaya's out and have fun on a track. However, I DON'T want to jeopardize all the effort and money I have sunk in to my '03 SV which I have really set up more as a Sport/Tour rig. I'm thinking of aquiring something like a salvage title SV that I can strip down and make a designated fun track bike out of...or maybe even buy one that has been converted.

I lean towards looking for Gen 2 bike since that's what I have and I think I like the idea of the Fuel Injection factor but I would yield to suggestions from those of you guys that have "been there, done that" already.

Where should I set my sights for this potential aquisition?

·
Registered
827 Posts
i haven't exactly been there or done that, but i've ridden a gen1 SV on the track (cirsory's). it's fugly as heck, but man does it ride like a dream. at first, when he offered to let me ride his, i was almost like no way, i only know gen2's. but all it took was one day and i was hooked not only on trackdays in general but his gen1.

the only difference between his and mine is a FI, elka shock, SS lines & race take offs.

if i had to choose between the gen 1 or gen 2, i would prob go with the gen1.

i would look into a salvage or track prepped gen1.

just my .02

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome to the addiction.
Either gen will be fine, just use good judgment when buying a used bike and not get too excited/anxious to buy the first thing out there. It's usually cheaper in the long run to buy a bike with all the typical track upgrades. I only paid 2200 for a completely setup track bike ready to go, but this was on the east coast.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Definitely gen 1. Hey...what a coincidence, I just happen to have a gen 1 for sale! 2000 S model. How much do you weigh? I swapped out the front springs with Sonic Springs and some heavier oil. The rear shock is swapped out with a GSXR the was resprung and revalved. The bike is set up for a rider weighing about 180 pounds. Just under 16k miles and runs like a champ.

Sorry for the shameless plug. I think you'll be safe with either generation. There are enough people who race / track both generations so you'll have plenty of available parts.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads-up. If I had a track day or 2 under my belt by now, I'd probably be interested in your rig.

At 200# I run the .90 Racetech Springs and Emu's in my '03 and have an '05 GSXR 750 shock as well. Would likely want to go with a .95 for the track, I believe. If I get a sudden desire to do something...I'll keep your machine in my mind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I race a '99, for what it's worth. They are mostly interchangeable, as far as I am concerned. Not parts-wise entirely, but as far as performance is concerned, they are so similar as to make it a moot point.

·
Registered
828 Posts
At 200# I run the .90 Racetech Springs and Emu's in my '03 and have an '05 GSXR 750 shock as well. Would likely want to go with a .95 for the track, I believe. If I get a sudden desire to do something...I'll keep your machine in my mind.
wow at your spring rates. i'm 135 and have .9 rt springs in my '02 track bike. and .95 in my street sv1000 that has gsxr front.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow at your spring rates. i'm 135 and have .9 rt springs in my '02 track bike. and .95 in my street sv1000 that has gsxr front.

Then I'd guess you're over sprung, perhaps?

Both Racetech and Sonic show spring rates for the SV and my weight class on the street to be .87 so I run the .90 rate. For the track I should be .93, so the .95 would be in order. I don't know what the appropriate rates are for a SV1k or a GSX-R.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey guys,
Never been in here before! :eek:

I just recently went through a Precision Cornering School out here on the Horse Thief Mile track at Willow Springs Int'l Raceway. I've never been on a track before. It wasn't a racing school per se but more of a workshop for mountain road touring. I was able to do pretty close to 80 miles on that track throughout the day with the last hour being allowed to run at our own pace within the "no passing" limitations forced by the situation.

This is pretty typical for me but this really opened up a can of worms!!

I'm planning on doing a track day this season. I want to go through one of the organizations that has an "Academy" where you get some schooling and some one on one on your first day out in addition to the regular "track day" arrangement. I think I'll be good to go on my current SV for the initial track day or 2 but being only 3 hours from Willow Springs and only 2 from Buttonwillow Raceway, I have a pretty good feeling that this will become addictive.Like I said before...it's pretty typical of me to dive into sh!t pretty deep!

For now, I only invision myself doing this on a "C" class or level 1 basis, just to get my yaya's out and have fun on a track. However, I DON'T want to jeopardize all the effort and money I have sunk in to my '03 SV which I have really set up more as a Sport/Tour rig. I'm thinking of aquiring something like a salvage title SV that I can strip down and make a designated fun track bike out of...or maybe even buy one that has been converted.

I lean towards looking for Gen 2 bike since that's what I have and I think I like the idea of the Fuel Injection factor but I would yield to suggestions from those of you guys that have "been there, done that" already.

Where should I set my sights for this potential aquisition?
something tells me you're going to the Track Daz Academy this sat at streets of willow? =P!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I found out about it too late! It's sold out and I'm headed up to the Bay Area to go catch some Halibut this Saturday anyway. Unfortunately, the next one they offer isn't till October and it's too close to when we start getting prepped for Duck Season.

I did find a similar course done by Fastrack in May, however. That's the one I have my eyes on but I liked the sound of the Track Daz group better.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you are just going to do track days either one is fine. Just get one that is in good condition mechanically. The gen 1's work great and are probably cheaper right now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I race a 2000 sv650 and have a 2006 sv650 for the street and like the gen1 better. The gen1 bikes are cheaper which is a huge plus.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have no bias other than cost, which puts the first gen first in my book. However, I see way more first gen SVs at track days than I do second gens. Once you get out there, you won't care a bit what the frame looks like, what the fuel delivery system is or how new your bike is... so why spend more? First gen parts will be cheaper as well which is good for a dedicated track whore... getting back on the track after spills will be cheaper.

Also, in my opinion, a cheaper bike is funner to ride. I never once worried about consequences of laying it down which allowed me to ride faster and harder. I would not have been so relaxed on a new(er) bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts