Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 04 sv1ks, with gixxer forks installed by the previous owner. Under hard braking, I'm getting play in the steering head bearings, so it's time to replace them. My question is, which kit should I be picking up... The one for the 04 sv1000, or the one for the gixxer?

I haven't had a "hybrid" or setup like this before, and my brain just won't process this idea tonight. Sigh.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You may only have to adjust the preload with the steering stem nut.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you throw me some more information on that? It looks like the stem has some play front to back, as I can look down and see the black circular "collar" right above the frame moving back and forth probably1/16th of an inch under brake load. It definitely feels "loose", but only in that situation.

Full disclosure, I haven't taken the weight off the front end and taken a closer look yet, I just sort of assumed it had to be the bearings.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
That's a LOT of movement for that.

I believe the bearings are the same for the two.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a LOT of movement for that.

I believe the bearings are the same for the two.
It might not be quite that much, but it's enough that I can see the collar moving, which is too much. It would make sense that they would. Be the same given the simplicity of the swap, anyone with this setup know for sure though?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
You have to remove black cap and tighten the funny shaped nuts.

And yes, Suzuki uses these same bearings in a ton of bikes. GSXR and SV are the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts