Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '03 "S" and recently did the Racetech fork spring upgrade. Now I'm looking to do something with the rear.

Question: When looking for a GSXR shock, which are preferred? 600, 750, 1000? Also which years are the closest match (with minimal modification)?

·
Registered
505 Posts
All of the GSX-R shocks have fixed reservoirs and require cutting the battery box on the SV to mount. Not sure what you mean by "closest match", are you talking spring rates or fitting? Match on spring rate will depend on your weight. Only the later GSXR 1000 shocks have a stiffer spring on them than the stock '03 SV shock does. Here are some thoughts on rear shock swaps that we posted on our SVRaceShop web site a while back, might answer some of your questions: http://www.svraceshop.com/SVShockUpgradeFAQ.asp

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
although i haven't ridden on mine yet. i have to say the install is pretty painless but it takes a while to get in it. i'd say probally the better part of an after noon with a buddy. i know that cutting the battery box is a pain. my words of advise on this is to look at it carefully b4 doing it to ensure you don't cut to much out of the wrong part. also its much easier to take the black plastic part off and then put the shock in and try to put the plastic back on than it is to cut and try to put the shock in. i'm not sure how to 03's are but on my 05 i had to pull some foam off he seat to get it on. the sub-frames ar supposedly higher on the 03's than the 04-05's so the battery might not be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Penske ... with remote reservoir!

Look at how many people here started with the 636 or gixxer and ended up with a professional shock.

You have *********** that is giving every one a run for the money and also Elke is just as good.

The real question you have to ask yourself is, am I going to keep this bike or trade it in for something bigger?
I am keeping mine, even if I replace it with another SV650, I will just move my mods to the new one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies...

The raceShop link was helpfull, although no mention of any differences in the model year GSXR shocks. From what I gather most any (600, 750, 1000) prior to 2000 are acceptable, '99 being preferred.

The match I was asking about was in FIT. As to if any were a closer match than the other... As for spring rate, I would "think" the 600 would be a little lighter than the 1000, or are they exactly the same.

I'm guessing the one from a 750 might be a good compromise, but I read some where that it would raise the rear 3/4 in. Will a 600 shock do the same?

Guess I'll start looking for deal on e-bay... there seem to be a sh**Load of em...

Thanks Again! 8)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a SRAD shock that I just pulled off of my '02 and it is the easiest to fit on a 1st gen. Send it off to SVRaceShop and have them re-build it to fit you. I did it and they sent me the baddest looking shock ever. I havn't had a chance to ride it yet, but I'd recommend them already! I'll send you the shock cheap and you can try it out or send it straight to them. They were running a special on the SRAD shock and I got it for $149 I think...PM me if you are interested. I'll make you a great deal!

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
this should help:
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=48973.msg527814#msg527814

best option (depending on your weight) is probably the 03-04 GSXR 1000.  only a couple of mm longer than stock, sprung a little heavier than stock but not too heavy. second choices would be 03-04 ZX10R, 03-04 636, 05 GSXR 1000...again, depending on your weight.

you will have to cut the battery box on your 03, but probably not quite as much as B.a. and I did on our 04-05's.

it isn't a perfect upgrade, it isn't nearly as good as buying a new aftermarket shock.  but it is better than stock and is worth the low price of a used shock on ebay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RedAggie03 said:
I have a SRAD shock that I just pulled off of my '02 and it is the easiest to fit on a 1st gen.  Send it off to SVRaceShop and have them re-build it to fit you.  I did it and they sent me the baddest looking shock ever.  I havn't had a chance to ride it yet, but I'd recommend them already!  I'll send you the shock cheap and you can try it out or send it straight to them.  They were running a special on the SRAD shock and I got it for $149 I think...PM me if you are interested.  I'll make you a great deal!

Thanks,
Jason
Thanks for the offer Jason, But I'm already gettin one off e-bay... We'll see how it goes. Hell, they're soo cheap that it's worth takin a chance. Of course like eveyone says, I'm gonna want better, but I'm trying to do this cheap... Maybe it will suffice for a while... It's gotta be better than the stocker. Who knows, I'll most likely want to have it reworked too. Just not right now.

Thanks again for the offer!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gahdzila said:
this should help:
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=48973.msg527814#msg527814

best option (depending on your weight) is probably the 03-04 GSXR 1000.  only a couple of mm longer than stock, sprung a little heavier than stock but not too heavy.  second choices would be 03-04 ZX10R, 03-04 636, 05 GSXR 1000...again, depending on your weight.

you will have to cut the battery box on your 03, but probably not quite as much as B.a. and I did on our 04-05's.

it isn't a perfect upgrade, it isn't nearly as good as buying a new aftermarket shock.  but it is better than stock and is worth the low price of a used shock on ebay.
Thanks gahdzila! For the info and the link Really good info there ;D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Heard that stock 636 shocks are better than anything else - ever. I read it somewhere, so it must be true. ;D NOT ;D

·
Registered
505 Posts
DucOwner said:
Heard that stock 636 shocks are better than anything else - ever.  I read it somewhere, so it must be true.                            ;D  NOT  ;D
Every time I have to disassemble one of those '03-'04 636 shocks I end up bleeding......... :mad:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
jarelj said:
Every time I have to disassemble one of those '03-'04 636 shocks I end up bleeding.........  :mad:
maybe you should just start throwing them away :p

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Is this the ditch next to the curve where the infamous RED BARN is located? ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.