Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
First off, dumber is not even a word. So lets not get started here with a dumb or dumber situation pal. I come on here to chat, have fun, and get a brake from my stressfull job of asshole lawyers yelling at me how I need to give this money back to their clients or fix all the damage I have done by liquidating all thier assests so don't get me in gammar coach mode ok.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Crashed, no doubt. First, it's not inevitable that you are going to crash. In 42 or 43 years of motorcycles I've been down twice, once in 1967 (mechanical, engine seized) and once in 1978 (avoiding contact with a truck). In the first case the bike was a mess when I bought it. In the second case I was going too fast in a curve and I had to swerve to avoid a truck entering the highway. Hit some gravel and down I went. I learned a bit each time, and if I had practiced what I preached (keep the bike well maintained, don't ride faster than your line of sight) neither of these would have happened.

Still, stolen is better. It's just stuff, it can be replaced. Can't do that with body parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, as someone who has had both happen in just 2 months, 1st low speed crash that was the other drivers fault, then stolen by someone I know who I cannot locate. They both suck.

Crashed, however, means you still have the bike and you can at least work on it.

I would still ride my bike if someone died on it but I would rather they be maimed. Somewhat disfigured would be O.K. too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I say crash cuz it just ain't fun hitting the pavement going 50mph and rolling through two lanes of highway traffic with a SUV stopping 6ft from running me over... :-\ Getting your bike stolen can sometimes be a good thing hahahha my old roommate had a old ZX-7R and had it stolen...2 years later, this FBI guy knocks on his door and goes "we found your bike" Apparently it was stolen by a notorious ATL bike gang that chops the bikes up and sells it...well when he went to identify the bike, he was like "wait a second this ain't my.....oh WAIT it IS!!! yea yea officer this is my bike ;D" The biker gang took his bike apart, CHROMED EVERYTHING, CUSTOM PAINTED IT, JETTED IT, THREW ON A FULL MUZZY EXHAUST, AND JUST BLING THE HELL OUT OF THAT BIKE" hahahaha he was like wtf.... well I guess this doesnt usually happen...but I'd still rather have it stolen then crashing it...You'll want it to be stolen once you've gone down hard...I was frikkin lucky as hell last time...walked away with only a bloody bruised knee...no other injuries...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
shekshisheki....great story man...congrats on not ending up SUV bait. I was in heavy traffic today and squeazed between a semi and a SUV and this SUV asshole starts blowing his horm at me like an asshole. We were in stopped traffic and I duck walked the bike past the front of his POS SUV. Come on! As many SUVs have cutt me off etc. At that moment I was thinking how I need one of those little hammers like the guys who ride customes have I think they all them mirror busters. You figure they were useing heir mirrors anyway if they just cut you off right.

·
Registered
397 Posts
SUV = Brain dead blondes that can't drive so their daddies get them a big car to protect them...

Their whole mentality is basically "If she's gonna drive wreckless, might as well put them in a tank"

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
If its a honda...I'd rather it stolen. I typically pay less than the insurance payout for a honda bike, so I end up ahead (Hondas hold value very well), which in turn would prompt me to upgrade.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stolen for sure. I crashed (not my fault) in June of this year and won't be off crutches for a few more months and I may have to have another operation before I can ride again. Stolen only hurts your pride.

G

·
lawnboy1956 said:
Stolen for sure. I crashed (not my fault) in June of this year and won't be off crutches for a few more months and I may have to have another operation before I can ride again. Stolen only hurts your pride.

Yeppers.... Crashing hurts your pride, your bike, and most importantly.. you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Blacksun said:
I would think that a crash would be much worse, both to your health and for insurance purposes.  A crash would provide an insurance company with more wiggle room on a settlement (your fault, etc...), whereas I would think a theft would be somewhat more straightforward. 
You are right on. A comp claim is not as hefty a hit as a collision claim, although, with bikes, it raises suspicion w/the insurance company...

·
Registered
703 Posts
This may not be the most "PC" answer but here's my view on the original question. I'd rather have my bike crashed. Reason? I'm a single male and my SV650 is as close to a child that I have. That being said, crashed = handicapped child; you'll do what you can to give it as normal of a life as possible, though it'll never be quite the same as a brand new bike. Stolen = abducted child, used for some else's perverse pleasure before being left to die in shallow grave only a few hundred meters from your front door. :mad:

With a crash you (usually) know what caused it and who was responsible. Stolen makes you want to assume the fetal position and vomit, followed by emptying 17 rounds of a pre-crime bill mag into the nearest perps head.

Just my $0.02....

21 - 35 of 35 Posts