Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been the victim of both. Just wonder about some other thoughts and comments on the topic. Which is worse and why. I have never personally crash my own bike but when my bike was stolen it was involved in a police chase and a crash so that is how I come about saying I have been the victim of both.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think crashed is worse. Generally speaking, there's no physical injury when it's stolen.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
if you only carry liability, a crash is better... at least then you get something back.   :-\

I've had 2 bikes and a car stolen.  The car came back, neither bike was seen again.  

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would think that a crash would be much worse, both to your health and for insurance purposes. A crash would provide an insurance company with more wiggle room on a settlement (your fault, etc...), whereas I would think a theft would be somewhat more straightforward.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I would prefer to crash as at least I had some hand in that. I think it is inevitable that I will crash at some point, although I hope I won't - but having someone else take your bike is worse to me as it is not within my control.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
hmm, crashing is better if you can guarantee that i walk away unhurt

stolen is better if you can guarantee i have insurance to cover the theft.

·
Registered
449 Posts
what about this scenario? someone stole your bike, and then, during a police chase, crashed and then died at the scene. Would you want your bike back?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AlexJ is on to something that I felt after I realized my bike was stolen.......VIOLATED..I just wanted to curl up in a ball and suck my thumb......No actually I was super pissed then paranoid and I felt I knew who had stolen it. There are some thugs that lived in the apartment across from mine with the stretched out swing arm Hybussa crowd. They used to eye ball my bike and one of them said something to me about it. Then during the same weekend as bike wee in Myrtle Beach (not too far form me) it ends up gone. I almost put one in the pipe of the Beretta and walked over and slashed their bike seats, etc... but I choose not to. As days past I got more pissd and almost came to blows or whatever with these guys then I got a letter in the mail from teh DMV, then the CMPD telling me it was at a police impound yard. I rented a Uhual to go get her and I should have just brought a wheel barrel. She didnt look pretty. Today......my pride and joy again. I too would have rather had a hand in her defaceing by way of a crash.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spirit of Bunny said:
what about this scenario? someone stole your bike, and then, during a police chase, crashed and then died at the scene. Would you want your bike back?
What are you talking about dude I would have rather they died at the scene. THEY STOLE MY GOD DAMN PROPERTY that I worked very hard for and wanted half my life. I have much like for my fam. freinds, etc.....for someone who steals my shit I hope they smoke turds in hell for all I care.....NO love...none

·
Registered
514 Posts
Spirit of Bunny said:
Yes, cause my bike did me a favor, and killed a theif.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Spirit of Bunny said:
hell yes i would, even if my bike was forever stained by the perpetrator's blood. not that i wish bad things for anyone, but i have absolutely no sympathy for thieves, particularly if theyre stealing something as dear to me as a bike. would i ride that bike again? depends on how forked up it is. but if theres anything recoverable on it, heck yes i want it, because it was MINE.

btw, interesting topic, kevin. :)

personally, i think it would bother me to no end if someone stole my bike. a while ago someone knocked over my smaller cruiser when i was out of town, and even though my insurance paid for the damage (and then some), it really irked me that someone was brazen enough to be screwing with my stuff without my permission.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I wouldn't want my bike back if someone had been killed on it - if it was not a total loss I would sell it and buy another bike.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I am glad to see people on here agree with me and not the Silly Bunny or whatever....stupid question man. My bike is now like a trophy to me or a badge that says hey you stole my bike asshole but I got it back and everytime I roll on that throttle I think of your punk ass. You know how the guy on America's Most Wanted John Walsh always comments on how stupid thieves really are? He is correct, this jack ass had a lost or stolen title application form from the DMV under the rear seat that was partially filled out with his name on it. What a dumb ass. Something like a stolen bike leaves you pretty paranoid man. I almost crash my wifes new VW GTI chaseing down a pickup with a blue partially torn down bike on the back that I swore was my bike.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it was crashed fatally by the thief, I'd clearcoat over any bloodstains and rechristen the bike "Widowmaker." ;D

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Kevin said:
Well I am glad to see people on here agree with me and not the Silly Bunny or whatever....stupid question man.
I don't agree with you, even stupid people leave behind a grieving mother and others who cared about them.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
You guys are ridiculous! :D Stolen is better and here is why. Nothing is more important than your person. You can get a new bike if it is stolen. If you crash you will never be the same. Gone is your perfect streak of crashlessness. You could die, serious injury, never walk again. And you would take crash damage over stolen? Stolen is much better! I prefer neither though. ;)
ac

·
Registered
34 Posts
Flatline said:
If it was crashed fatally by the thief, I'd clearcoat over any bloodstains and rechristen the bike "Widowmaker."   ;D
Widormaker- Nice.

If someone died on mine I'd slap a Skull and crossbones logo on the side of the gas tank.

No doubt that I would ride it again, if it wasn't totalled.  Since I got the bike I've given up on modding my car, no matter what I do it will never be able to keep up with the SV (or any bike for that matter).

To answer the original questoin I'd rather have it stolen, it's not my fault and I wouldn't have to spend any time in bandages.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I should have been a little more clear though. By crash I didnt really mean like rearending a pickup truck at 55mph I more meant like a lower speed low side or something where your gear kept you in good shape but not your bike. Not a fatal flying over the bars 45 yards through the air kinda thing. Obviously people no one is going to pick a fatal or serious injury wreck over theft. Anyway, just thought I would add that for clarity. I had no full coverage on my bike only liability so as far as that aspect is concerned I got really screwed. Actually the theft, or hotwire, damnage to my bike ended up being a bigger pain in my ass than the crash damage when it came to fixing the bike.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Kevin said:
Well I am glad to see people on here agree with me and not the Silly Bunny or whatever....stupid question man.
I never really ever had a position to agree or not agree on so save it. I admit it was a morbid thought but its one that pops up every now and then and I know one guy that it happened to so yeah something like that scenario is bound to happen.

for the record, I'd rather have my bike stolen than me crashing it cause well, you can get hurt crashing it and my body and my health is much more important to me.

Your question was actually dumber than mine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts