Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm sure that someone has posted about this in the past, but I haven't been able to find it. I was wondering what the general opinion concerning fuel octane is. I bought my 1st gen SV650s about three weeks ago and I've already put a little over 1,000 miles on it, so you know I'm enjoying myself. I've been keeping high-octane fuel in it, but didn't know if anyone thought it made a difference. The extra fuel price isn't a big deal to me, I just want to take care of my new toy as well as I can.

Side question: which octane brings best fuel economy...hmmm....

Any sort of opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
87 and nothing more. premium won't do anything to "take care" of your baby.

·
Registered
533 Posts
to be honest it depends on how you are setup , if your running lean high octane may help if you're running rich low octane could help as well there really isn't a huge benefit with octane levels. I personally have an m4 exhaust and never got it tuned, so if i don't run on premium gas I tend to be way to lean, resulting in backfiring etc.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you feel like paying for the expensive stuff, then go for it. But you don't need to. 87 or whatever the lowest is works just fine. Some people say that the lower grade stuff will give you better fuel mileage, however I'm not so sure about that one. Seems a little urban legendy.

The thing about octane ratings is that people BELIEVE it gives them more power and stuff if you buy the higher grades. When most of the time, the engine doesn't need it and it's simply the person imagining things. And you know how that works- once a person truly, truly believes in their heart that it works........no amount of facts can change their mind. Nevermind that engineers and scientists work really hard on that stuff- it makes their car/bike go faster, ******! Haha.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
to be honest it depends on how you are setup , if your running lean high octane may help if you're running rich low octane could help as well there really isn't a huge benefit with octane levels. I personally have an m4 exhaust and never got it tuned, so if i don't run on premium gas I tend to be way to lean, resulting in backfiring etc.
you don't know how gas works.

you're still lean on premium too.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
ive ran 87, 89, 92, and 93 on a stock motor and stock jetting.

Cant tell a difference in performance so I use 87.

·
Registered
414 Posts
There is'nt any more Kinetic energy in 93 octane that in 87. Sv engine is not high compression so there is no need for the lower flash point of high octane gas.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
There is'nt any more Kinetic energy in 93 octane that in 87. Sv engine is not high compression so there is no need for the lower flash point of high octane gas.

Higher octane fuel has a HIGHER flash point than lower octane fuel. This higher flash point is why it's needed in high-compression engines.

·
Registered
370 Posts
A buddy told me to fill up on premium one day. Gave it a shot.

Didn't notice jack. Stock map, full yoshi trs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
you got it backward jbswear. the low octane fuel can combust with the heat a pressure of high compression engine, this is what causes the knocking sound thus the need for high octane gas that does not combust until the spark plug ingites it.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts