Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a fork lift and rear lift. I noticed most threads give advice on brands and advise getting spools and a spool lift for the rear, but I don't see any advice for the forks. I've seen (a) single-pin-type that goes in the hole at the bottom of the forks, and (b) double-peg-type that rests underneath the fork. Any advice? I may go with the T-Rex since I don't do much bike work, and I have a naked 04 SV650.
thanks!
Thomas

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Get the pin type that rests underneath the lower triple for the front stand. The benefit is that you can remove the forks while on the stand.

·
Registered
830 Posts
T-Rex are fine. Great product. I store my bike on them in the winter in a room where a clumsy 90 Lb. German Shepherd hangs out and she's never knocked it over, and I've left the bike on the stands in the driveway with no forks for days (waiting for parts) with no trouble. Some claim they're a rip-off of someone else's design, but

a) They're cheaper.
b) How many ways are there to design a motorcycle stand?
c) I don't care.

I don't know how I lived before I had front and rear stands. +1 for getting a front one that can lift with the pin under the triple as opposed to just lifting under the forks. I'd also go ahead and get spools for the rear, makes it much easier.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The only kind that I have any experience with is the head/stem type (I have a Pit Bull New Front). I've been pleased with it... it's very quick to in place and lift the bike, though it MUST Be used in conjunction with a rear stand for stability purposes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All- thanks! i'll avoid the under-the-fork type and go with the one that lifts via the triple, along with a spool rear lift. i love it when advice is almost unanimous!

·
Registered
789 Posts
All- thanks! i'll avoid the under-the-fork type and go with the one that lifts via the triple, along with a spool rear lift. i love it when advice is almost unanimous!
well, you've already decided, but I just wanted to note, that had you gone with the under-fork lifts, this would have happened:
SVR - Front stand issues thread (Post)

·
Registered
830 Posts
You know, you'd think an engineer designing a bike _might_ consider the fact that he was designing a set of forks that would make a very common piece of maintenance equipment unusable.

Are there a lot of bikes that would have this problem?

·
Registered
172 Posts
...it MUST Be used in conjunction with a rear stand for stability purposes.
I'd like to reiterate what BurnOut said just because I think it's important...if you're putting the bike on the front stand, it's gotta be on the rear stand first. The whole thing could come crashing down if you don't.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I bought the T-Rex front and rear stand last summer for maintenance/winter storage and they have held up great. Definitely go with the pin front and spool rear...makes them much easier to use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts