Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't know of any oil filter specifically made for a car that fits the SV, but there are a ton of aftermarket filters that do fit the SV, and some of them are pretty inexpensive.

There have been a ton of threads about oil filters. Do a search and you'll find many references to specific brands and model numbers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
For the lazy:

These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

None are recommended. Available filters include:

* AMSOil SMF 109
* Bike Master 314-0025
* Champion PH7016
* Cycle Power 314-1919
* Emgo 10-55662
* Emgo 10-55660
* Fram PH6018
* Hi-Flo HF138
* J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
* K&N 138
* NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
* Parts Unlimited
* Per-Form J-509
* ProPart 01-0029
* Purolator ML16818
* STP SMO-18
* Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
* VESRAH vsf-3009

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JaredMcDonley said:
For the lazy:

These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

* AMSOil SMF 109
* Bike Master 314-0025
* Champion PH7016
ect ect......

I'm confused. he listed all those filters including the suzuki filter and says none are reccommended. What up?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bster13 said:
Thats lack of recommendation is based off of this particular guy's research is cutting open the filters and inspecting the filter media, # of please, surface area, bypass valve construction etc. etc.

Yea, he ruled out every filter possible, including the suzuki OEM!!

N

·
0 Posts
JaredMcDonley said:
For the lazy:

These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

* AMSOil SMF 109
* Bike Master 314-0025
* Champion PH7016
* Cycle Power 314-1919
* Emgo 10-55662
* Emgo 10-55660
* Fram PH6018
* Hi-Flo HF138
* J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
* K&N 138
* NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
* Parts Unlimited
* Per-Form J-509
* ProPart 01-0029
* Purolator ML16818
* STP SMO-18
* Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
* VESRAH vsf-3009
What do you use?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I did a write up with a bunch of links, go to this link and see my post on page 2:
http://forum.svrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=40705

Basically, what I found out was that (sorry I dont remember where I read this) Suzuki motorcycle oil filters use an unusual thread pitch...unusual meaning that there arent many (or any?) auto filters that fit it. For comparison, my buddy found out that a number of different car oil filters fit his VTX...some of these oil filters are longer, some are shorter, but it's a relatively common thread pitch and filter diameter among car filters, and he has no problem picking one up at any local auto parts joint.

Secondly, DONT USE A FRAM OIL FILTER! Although they do make one that fits our SV, the filters use glued on cardboard ends that could theoretically become loose when exposed to hot oil and end up somewhere inside your engine!

Thirdly, IMO, you should use the OEM filter at least until the warranty is over. Although SuperTech was a well recommended oil filter on many sources I read, I seriously doubt your dealership would honor your warranty if you had an oil related engine failure and they find a $1.50 WalMart branded oil filter on your bike. Just my opinon there :wink:

Some big makers (STP is the one I have in mind, I'm sure there are others) do NOT manufacture their oil filters, they just rebadge them. So, the quality of their oil filters may vary depending on who made them.

So...my search was nearly fruitless. I wanted something I could easily buy locally, and all I found locally that would fit (besides the OEM) is Fram (which I wont use) and STP (of which I had a few concerns about consistency of quality). But all of that stuff was interesting reading nonetheless.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If what you want is an oil filter that you can find at your local auto parts store: I sometimes pick up a Purolator ML16818 at Pep Boys. It is a motorcycle specific filter, but Pep Boys carries them, at least around me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i personally think its a hoax. Difference in oil? Yes. Different in oil filter? Yes, but so very minimal. OEM/generic has been fine for 15,000 mi and i probably wont use anything else. JMHO

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Randy - no pep boys locally, but I'll look into the purolator. how much did it cost?

tyger - You're right, to an extent. There probably isnt much of a difference in many of them. And that's my point - the OEM one that you're using costs about $12 at the dealership (if memory serves), many auto oil filters are MUCH less expensive...some less than $2. And that's what I was doing - searching for one of good quality (as good as the OEM one...I was NOT searching for the top-of-the-line), at a good price, and readily locally available for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts