Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying forged alum. aftermarket wheels for the SV. Anyone know who makes wheels for Gen1 SV650s? I could also use suggestions on which wheels are direct bolt-on replacements... I'd prefer not to have to get custom spacers or weird sprockets, etc. I have an '02 GSX-R750 front end and a standard '00 SV650 rear wheel. I'd like to keep the standard size tires (120/70/17 front, 160/60/17 rear) because most tires come in these sizes.

This is for a trackbike, btw if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Ray

T

·
0 Posts
check those Caprozzeria wheels.I just installed set on ducati monster.
they look same as PVM 5Y spokes but lighter and about $800 cheaper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TWF said:
Carrozzeria? I'll take a look. They seem to only be $500 cheaper though :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
We sell Marchesini and are running them on all of our race bikes. Sometimes you can find a deal on a used set if you keep your eyes open, but normally they're Gixxer wheels and not SV, so if you don't have a Gixxer front end that won't work. SV ones are harder to come by, we normally have to order them new.

·
Registered
47 Posts
sv ray said:
TWF said:
Have you tried contacting them directly? I got a quote from them of $825, shipped, including EVERYTHING -- even sprocket. Unfortunately I am having a hard time getting them to understand (Caprozzeria is a Japanese company) that I need a GSXR front wheel. They keep thinking I want a 2nd-gen SV front wheel.

EDIT: OK, I just got confirmation. GSXR front with SV rear IS available. Tempting tempting.

J

·
0 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested, I've got a set of Dymag Lite Magnesium wheels for an SV sitting around. Stock size front with upgraded rotors, and a 5.5in rear made to fit the first Gen SV's (can be made to fit 2nd gen's too I believe). Not only is it near impossible to get a set of these now (although support is still availible), but to get something to fit the SV's rear you usually have to wait about 10 weeks (PVM, Marchesini, etc) according to the EMA guys.

Only downside is you need the stock SV forks and brakes, but there's a BIG upside with the weight savings (not to mention they already have rotors and various rear sprockets).

joe z.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Marchesini and Marvic make SV specific wheels! For Superbikes we alter GSXR magnesium wheels.

M

·
0 Posts
DucOwner said:
Marchesini and Marvic make SV specific wheels! For Superbikes we alter GSXR magnesium wheels.
If i were to send your shop a gsxr rear wheel could you guys do the machining, spacers, etc and send it back to me ready to roll?
If so how much would that cost?
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quasi888 said:
sv ray said:
TWF said:
Have you tried contacting them directly? I got a quote from them of $825, shipped, including EVERYTHING
Wow, do you have the # or website? I can't seem to find them on Google.

·
Registered
186 Posts
damn, check out the picture of the RC51 with the black anodized.

:shock: :shock:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Mineral said:
DucOwner said:
If i were to send your shop a gsxr rear wheel could you guys do the machining, spacers, etc and send it back to me ready to roll?
If so how much would that cost?
Thanks
Yes we could. It is not cheap. Call the shop evenings or weekends, we'll explain what is involved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quasi888 said:
OK, I just got confirmation. GSXR front with SV rear IS available. Tempting tempting.
It IS tempting. It looks like from the website the SV only comes in a 5.5" rear. Wasn't looking for that big a rear end though!

Hey, didn't I meet you before? Friend of Jimmy Lin, right?

Ray

·
Registered
47 Posts
sv ray said:
quasi888 said:
OK, I just got confirmation. GSXR front with SV rear IS available. Tempting tempting.
It IS tempting. It looks like from the website the SV only comes in a 5.5" rear. Wasn't looking for that big a rear end though!

Hey, didn't I meet you before? Friend of Jimmy Lin, right?

Ray
Yup. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mstingray said:
maybe we should get a group buy going :lol:

i'm in for a gix front :twisted:
Hell, if you guys are serious, I'm in! Who's organizing, Quasi seems to already have the hook-up! :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
There is a bit of debate going on at sv650.org about lighter wheels. It's one of those ones where no-one has actually tried it, so what do you guys think of lighter rims? Nice extra or big step to handling nirvana?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Big Step.

I have a set of the Carrozzeria v-6's on my Ducati Monster street bike. Very noticeable decrease in turn effort at any speed (but esp so higher speeds). Suspension compliance is way better and that is particularly noticeable in my pothole and frostheave strewn NY/NJ metro and backroads. Stops quicker and feels sprightlier on the gas. They also look the business.

I personally feel that anyone who says they don't make a big difference (over stock) either has their bike set up like a turd, or is talking out of their ass. But we've covered this ad nauseum in other threads here.

Johnny Rod said:
There is a bit of debate going on at sv650.org about lighter wheels. It's one of those ones where no-one has actually tried it, so what do you guys think of lighter rims? Nice extra or big step to handling nirvana?

T

·
0 Posts
SV_kage said:
Big Step.
I personally feel that anyone who says they don't make a big difference (over stock) either has their bike set up like a turd, or is talking out of their ass. But we've covered this ad nauseum in other threads here.
there is funny part to it.
you can have aftermarket wheel with lets say dunlop tire on it and I can have stock wheel with michelin tire on it.my is lighter than your.
my PVM front wheel(forged aluminum) is 1 pound lighter than stock gsxr wheel.
same look caprrozeria wheel was another 1/2 pound lighter.
sometime difference in tire weight between brands or styles can be more than wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh you bastid Z, :p I should have put the caveat of tires and the lastest gen sportbikes. IIRC, the dunlops are amongst the typically the heavier of the brands.

FWIW, the front weighed 7.2lb with bearings/spacers (no rotors) . Stock 3 spoke brembo was ~11.5.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts