Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going down to Deals Gap with a couple of buddies on the weekend of Sept . 21. We have never been down there. What is a good place to stay, a cabin would be nice. Please provide any recommendations.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
+1, Fontana Village. A genuine '50s mountain resort. There are always riders and/or groups of riders staying there, especially during the off season. It should be quiet when you're planning on being there. If you go to see the fall colors it's wise to make reservations.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This place in incredible:

http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

I've stayed there three times now.  The people running the place are bikers, they have the place set up on a wonderful piece of property with a nice stream running through it.  We hosted the 2005 YZF600r.com rally there as well as the EASTOC (St1100 rally) rally there in 05 and there are no plans to change.  They have private cabins, bunkhouse (a bed to sleep on basically) and nice lawn to camp out on with your tent or theirs.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
andyauger said:
+1, Fontana Village. A genuine '50s mountain resort. There are always riders and/or groups of riders staying there, especially during the off season. It should be quiet when you're planning on being there. If you go to see the fall colors it's wise to make reservations.
Another +1 for Fontana. A quick jaunt to Robbinsville if you want some down home cookin', and their room/cabin prices are pretty affordable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
While the people that run the Ironhorse are nice, Fontana has more options with different cottages and numerous ones to choose from. It is also that much closer to the Dragon. The ironhorse is a much smaller, more quaint, not as established. Either one is fine but I would go with Fontana if given the choice and I have stayed at both.

·
Registered
799 Posts
+1 On Ron & Nancy's places.  Shortly after the 2nd SV rally I went right back down with another group of riders who had booked "The Ridge".  You are literally right at the Robinsville end of the Cherahola.  The house was great and runs $750 a week or $140 a day.  That's a huge bargain when you check out all the ammentities the place has.  Blew my mind.    :eek:

·
Registered
213 Posts
How much does a room at the fontana cost? I stay for $18 a night, tax included at the IH. It just has much more character and a nicer setting than other places I've tried and a great lodge with a projection TV in which u can watch any deal's gap or racing video u want at night and no one will complain...unlike any motel/hotel in which there is no lodge area with projection TV and not all the guests are into bikes. :)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
frayed said:
+1 On Ron & Nancy's places.  Shortly after the 2nd SV rally I went right back down with another group of riders who had booked "The Ridge".  You are literally right at the Robinsville end of the Cherahola.  The house was great and runs $750 a week or $140 a day.  That's a huge bargain when you check out all the ammentities the place has.  Blew my mind.    :eek:
Ron is cool to talk to, he's always up to date on the condtions, and good rides in the area, where you need to go to get things etc.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
+1 on The Ridge. Several of us (three bikes and three sports cars) stayed there about this time last year and it was PERFECT. That HUGE garage was real nice to have! Extremely reasonable when you split the cost up like that too. I'll be back.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I like to spend 1 night per trip right there at the gap. They have renovated the rooms and they are pretty reasonable. What I like about it is you can just hang out and watch the show and pick your time and space to ride. Then blow out of their and really see the area without all of the squids

Why don't you choose a new place each night so you get a overview of the area on your first trip. If time permits you should head down to GA and stay at TWO. Its an easy day trip from the gap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts