Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 daytona 955 that a friend owned and crashed (destroyed the plastic and took out a chunk of the clutch cover) He couldn't afford to fix it so I bought it off him him for next to nothing. I had planned to try and fix it but just don't have the time/energy.

What is the best way for me to try and recoup my money. The bike turns over clean but doesn't start (he thinks it has something to do with the power commander sitting with no power for like a year). Other then all of the plastic being broken, the shifter broken, and the chunk out of the clutch cover (jbweld?) The fram, rims, tank, etc are undamaged. Any idea what something like this is worth as a whole bike? or should I just part it out. I have about $800 into it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a 2001 daytona 955 that a friend owned and crashed (destroyed the plastic and took out a chunk of the clutch cover) He couldn't afford to fix it so I bought it off him him for next to nothing. I had planned to try and fix it but just don't have the time/energy.

What is the best way for me to try and recoup my money. The bike turns over clean but doesn't start (he thinks it has something to do with the power commander sitting with no power for like a year). Other then all of the plastic being broken, the shifter broken, and the chunk out of the clutch cover (jbweld?) The fram, rims, tank, etc are undamaged. Any idea what something like this is worth as a whole bike? or should I just part it out. I have about $800 into it.
FIX IT!. And sell it for way more :)

Really though- what's it hurt to have it sit around another year or two while you get it together...

Unless this is a woman probelm :evil6:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
The best way to recoup your cash would be to sell it as a whole to someone who wants to rebuild it, or has he time and knowledge to part it out.

Other than that, many hours on Craigslist, and eBay are your other options.

Parting it out will be a much more tiresome task than fixing it. So if you don't have the time to fix it, you font have the time to part it out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just didn't know if I was going to get way more fixing it, I did rough math and I'll have to put about $1200 into it to get it back to being pretty. Which means I have about $2k into it, how much is something like this worth?

Its not really a woman issue (she will probably be the one who rides it the most (I don't like cheating on my sv) but more of a "will it still be worth it in 2 or 3 years". But you may be right, I am 3 years from retirement and I suppose I'll be looking for something to tinker with. I just hate having so much random stuff taking up my storage barn, it feels like a waste to let it sit.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Build it as a project, you might break even. But keeping your time occupied with fixing motorcycles will be much cheaper than golf. Or whatever it is retired people do. My neighbor buys, fixes, and then sells bikes. He usually pockets a hundred or 3. He does it as a hobby. Not a profit deal.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
How many miles on the 955i? That bike in good running and cosmetic condition is worth anywhere from $2,800-$3,400 depending upon locale. I have the older '98 model. You could join the TriumphRat forum and either part it out or put up for sale and easily make your money back and then some. Did the plastic tank get damaged? If the bike needs all new plastics and you can't find on Ebay, your $1,200 estimate is low to fix. Airtech does make full replacement fiberglass body work for the 1gen 955, but then you have to paint. Just so you know, the FI system on the 955 is a lot more complicated than the SV to work on. Power commanders are not very favored for that bike. There is free software called TuneECU that allows you to run full diagnostics, tests, error code finding, and remapping and full dyno tuning. All you need to buy is a OBDII/usb cable to run the program via a laptop.

One other caution, the 955 triple motor uses what's called a sprag clutch in the starter system. The sprag clutch in general does not like to be over cranked and over heated. Crank the motor only for short spurts. If the sprag clutch needs to be repaired, the motor has to be removed and the cases split.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically the plastics are all toast, the shifter and passenger peg are broken, the clutch cover needs some jbweld. The tank and frame seem undamaged. I think I'll just let it sit for now and hopefully I'll make time for it in the next few years. If not I've wasted more money on stupider things in the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts