Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off does the SV use 10w40 or 15w40

second where can I find either of those weights in Royal Purple?
I can get 5w30 royal purple for my car at pep boys and at checker but I can't find either of those weights anywhere....

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so it doesn't really matter whether you use 15w40 or 10w40?

anyway, I care more about just finding either of those weights in Royal Purple

thanks though

·
Registered
24 Posts
you can adjust the oil weight depending on the oil..and the season.. in the summer you need more heat and friction protection so a bit thicker could be good for you... In the winter you need easy starts and thinner oil to turn easier in cold weather.

So if your truly hardcore you change your oil everyday depending on the forcast.
I personally have a hyper-tuned magneto charged oil changing station with its own personal weather tracking satellite and prediction software in geo-synchronos orbit above my home based, mega-awsome racing shop.

but just get Rotella-T...sells at G.I Joes by the gallon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not a bad deal with the free shipping, but I was hoping to find somewhere I could buy it from so I could do an oil change tonight.... how quick do they process orders there? then add UPS ground shipping time which is usually a week isn't it?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Coming from the oil sticky:

-4°F - 86°F: 10W-30
-4°F - 104°F+: 10W-40, 10W-50
6°F - 104°F+: 15W-40, 15W-50
14°F - 104°F+: 20W-50

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Jared,

I try to search for posts on this site before posting a repeat but I have a really hard time with the search function on this site... it seems pretty poor compared to some of the Honda forums I use (www.hondaswap.com and www.honda-tech.com)

anyway, if you are in MN and around St. Paul you can get Royal Purple in 10w40 or 15w40 at MAS racing on University ave near 280
address is 2288 University ave

$5.50 a quart

I'll probably head over there tomorrow after work and pick up some so I can change the oil at the 7k mark on the odo

thanks guys

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Why would you pay $5.75 per quart for oil? There are riders on this board with a lot of miles (one well over 100,000) who have used "just plain old oil". In spite of the advertising, Royal Purple isn't any better for your engine than "plain old oil" of the correct viscosity.

I know a bit about lubricants and I like diesel specific oils (Rotella, Delo, Delvac, etc.). You can buy them per gallon what you will pay for a quart of Royal Purple.

There are two places where I've found Royal Purple superior: utility steam turbine bearings and right angle gearbox drives.

·
Registered
56 Posts
well, I like running synthetic because of the smoother shifting (1st noticed on my 1st bike). My sv runs on whatever the dealer puts in, since I have a service plan with them. After that, its full synth. To each his own, right? ;)

André

1 - 12 of 12 Posts