Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 03 K3(1000S) my clutch slave cylinder is leaking. I would rather replace it than rebuild the seals(since it's 10 years old might as well get a new one). So far the only place I have stumbled upon a new one is from GDLCycles. Anyone have any recommendations on where else to find a new one, other than a dealer of course.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
GDL's is a used part is looks like. But...about half price from what the online dealer types will charge. Keep in mind the new parts will be upgraded from the K3-4 specs. Is it in that bad of shape that it can't be rebuilt? Looks like you'll burn most of a Benjamin on a new one.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't removed it yet, It looses quiet a bit of fluid. Just figured since it's nearly 10 years old wouldn't hurt to put a brand new one on it.
Noticed that too on GDL after I posted that their stuff is used.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Seriously, if it isn't pitted inside....I'd think a rebuild would make it like new. Remember the latter cylinders have an extra seal your K3 probably doesn't...or didn't. The slave seals take a beating down there in the heat and being exposed to all that chain mung. Have you noticed the fluid getting dark? Many bikes seem to do that, and it is supposedly the seals deteriorating and flowing back up the line to the reservoir. My K7 is getting new slave cyl innards this winter I think.:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seriously, if it isn't pitted inside....I'd think a rebuild would make it like new. Remember the latter cylinders have an extra seal your K3 probably doesn't...or didn't. The slave seals take a beating down there in the heat and being exposed to all that chain mung. Have you noticed the fluid getting dark? Many bikes seem to do that, and it is supposedly the seals deteriorating and flowing back up the line to the reservoir. My K7 is getting new slave cyl innards this winter I think.:)

I'm not having much luck in finding a new one. I am going to look for the rebuild kit and go that route. Might as well add an HEL clutch line while I'm at it. Yes the fluid is dark, I read somewhere that could also be the clutch line needing to be replaced. Looking at it from the perspective that the bike is almost 10 years old too, might as well change out the clutch line while I have the system apart.

spears enterprise sells a cable conversion kit for clutch i think it around $160.
Not really interested in going to a manual cable, I'm pretty happy with the hydraulic setup. The HEL clutch line and rebuild kit is also only going to cost half as much as a conversion would.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I replaced my clutch line with an HEL line and it cured the dark fluid issue that I had. Fluid has been in there almost a full season now and still nice and clear/yellowish.

Mine's an '05 and I haven't had to do the rebuilt yet, but I'll bet it's coming soon though...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...486/Model/SV1000S/GroupID/271260/Group/CLUTCH

Part #23

Looks like it is $88 though. You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.
You friggin rock!
I found ronayers site this morning after I posted on the boards. However, I couldn't find a few part numbers the chart you provided is AWESOME! Exactly what I needed! I use to have that site, www.suzukisv1000.com in my bookmarks, never realized it went to a new server(found it again thankfully).

I am going to order the seals and debating on the spring, any input on if it's worth replacing the spring? It's only $3.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
You friggin rock!
I found ronayers site this morning after I posted on the boards. However, I couldn't find a few part numbers the chart you provided is AWESOME! Exactly what I needed! I use to have that site, www.suzukisv1000.com in my bookmarks, never realized it went to a new server(found it again thankfully).

I am going to order the seals and debating on the spring, any input on if it's worth replacing the spring? It's only $3.
A properly designed spring operating within it's correct range should last for a LONG time.

Is that the case with the slave cylinder? I have no idea.

For $3 I would probably order it because if I didn't and I needed it later then the shipping would cost more than the part itself. That is just me, though.

Edit: Ron Ayers website is great! From the main page click on Fiche then go through the steps to find the part you need for your bike. The hardest part is figuring out which diagram Suzuki uses for a part. The slave cylinder was easy, it was under clutch. The brake pedal for instance, is under "stand". Go figure.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm actually not finding the case p/n but mine should be fine. The paint is a little wore off so I am going to remove it, clean it, and repaint it flat black before I re-install it.

My thoughts are the same on the spring, $3 is nothing to loose sleep over. Going to order it.

A local shop has braided lines in stock and told me over the phone they can sell me a BFG clutch line for $60. If that's an accurate quote I will just buy it locally vs ordering online.
I may also pick up a stainless rear brake line at the same time. I have the Vortex hydraulic brake switch I need to install before next months inspection. Might as well swap out the brake line as well since it's old and rubber.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I also have an 03, and had to get the second seal. When I rebuilt mine a couple years ago, I never replaced any of the other seals. Just cleaned up, and put everything back together, including the new seal that Suzuki added in years afterwards, and have not had an issue since.

Try to keep chain as clean as possible, as gunk from the chain will fly off at drive sprocket and coat the clutch push rod, which can then mess the seals in the slave up.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also have an 03, and had to get the second seal. When I rebuilt mine a couple years ago, I never replaced any of the other seals. Just cleaned up, and put everything back together, including the new seal that Suzuki added in years afterwards, and have not had an issue since.

Try to keep chain as clean as possible, as gunk from the chain will fly off at drive sprocket and coat the clutch push rod, which can then mess the seals in the slave up.

Good to know, I've been trying to wipe my chain down once a week and lubing it. I got some new lube and it is looking really clean after riding around.

Do you recall what type of lube/grease to use when reassembling the clutch slave cylinder?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
check out www.hondaeasttoledo.com and www.oneidasuzuki.com

they are typically cheaper than Ronayers a few % across the board.

I really appreciate those two links, I have been looking for something like that.
Unfortunately though the Ronayers parts are less expensive than the ones on either of those sites. Ordered the cup, spring and cover all for $24.66 shipped.

I hate ordering stuff but I love saving money, I want it now so I can install it :)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Do you recall what type of lube/grease to use when reassembling the clutch slave cylinder?
The same brake/hydraulic fluid you use in the system.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts