Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Puts on Flame Suit* ;D

Hey, just curious if anybody knows of anyplace in the PNW where I can look at some salvaged bikes? I'm dying for a project this winter, and if I can save some $$$ then it'd be even better. So, where should I start my search? Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
381 Posts
theres always salvaged bikes on ebay-heck some bikes are wrecked but have clear titles-i'd do a goodle search for insurance auctions though. The become friends with a dealer unless you can sneak your way in

·
Registered
381 Posts
i picked up my race bike off ebay

it only cost me $945-but had a lot of bent/broken parts and a COD title-still worth it though

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing I don't like about Ebay is their usually too far from me, and I ESPECIALLY want to inspect a salvaged or wrecked bike in person. Thanks though, I'll keep an eye out!

Michael

·
Registered
165 Posts
In florida depends on what type of title it is.. certificate of destruction wich is never to be ridden or registered again or you have the R title wich you will have to produce all reciepts for repairs and if frame was replaced the original title and it must be inspected.

Every state is different so you will need to check with yours.

·
Registered
381 Posts
most bikes probably have salvaged titles-here in Georgia inspection is a joke. they dont even turn the bike on it some cases

hell -i got my YZ426 street legal here-didnt have any lights or anything but still had a plate

this is why i'm glad i dont live in kalifornia

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
WaRider said:
*Puts on Flame Suit* ;D

Hey, just curious if anybody knows of anyplace in the PNW where I can look at some salvaged bikes? I'm dying for a project this winter, and if I can save some $$$ then it'd be even better. So, where should I start my search? Thanks.

Michael
what state are you in?

check here for yards.

http://www.moto-directory.com/salvage.asp

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
kabolhasani said:
whats the deal with registering and insuring a salvaged bike in most states?
-Kamran
well,basicaly(in NY anyways)...

you get the bike with the salvage title.NY requires you to fix the major problems the bike has (ie tank,frame,wheels,lights..).You need a receipt for every part purchased,and VIN numbers of the vehicles if they were used parts.Then,you set up an inspection and they check to see if the bike is stolen,if the parts are stolen.If ANY part is found to be stolen,it's comphiscated on the spot. IF it passes, the state will send you a re-built salvage title and you can register the bike no problem.

other states have different rules,VT just checks to see if the bike is stolen,then gives you the re-built title.other states offer a new clear title.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Lots of cities have local shops/junk yards that deal with salvage bikes. Got my current ride from a local dealer whom I happened to find on the internet. He'd bought it at auction. Cycletrader.com is a good start.

Being a cheap, bargain-hunting tinkerer, I have a weakness for salvage bikes. Having said that, it's like other mechanicial restoration projects, you aren't going to save any money by the time you're through - just the opposite! But it sure is fun. Fortunately I lack the garage space, at least for now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm holding off on the bike right now, I got truck problems I'm dealing with!

Michael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts