Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Warning, I'm about to ramble... I hope I don't bore or offend anyone. Background: I'm drinking some nice wine after some back breaking brush clearing on my property and starting my first week of furlough tomorrow. Been riding since 12, just turned 58. Traveled all over the world, returned to the US after 14 years in Brazil last year. Married now, one son 12 YO's. They are both Brazilian and now we live north of Seattle. Yeah I've had fun life. Pandemic hit recently, total curve ball. I'm underemployed as a field engineer but happy to be in the USA again despite how much it's changed. Bought a KTM 1190 adventure last year. Had some fun but such a big bike and over reached a bit on my budget. I was raised off road in the 80-90s (XR's CR's) so this was a big jump even after owning an 800 GS recently. Bought a house, good school district, one mile from the best school and my "great" job. Told you I would ramble... Then corona hit. Life changes, fast sometimes. I get that. I'm flexible. Seen a lot of suffering in Brazil. I've got perspective. I have a deposit on the Tenere 700 btw. Looks perfect for me. But you know what. I think it's gonna get worse (economy I mean). Adapt now before someone else restructures your life. Digression #1, I've got a CRF450X in the garage too, great bike, no time to ride a dirt bike probably, other old two strokes and thumpers throughout the planet..etc... I digress (#2) but you know the weather sucks here in the pacific northwest right? It's true. I arrived January 2019, put my head down, made it through, sun is coming out now, it's in the 50's most of the time... jobs at risk remember, I'm 75% employed remember... drink some more wine...
Ok. I'm back. I'm thinking I shouldn't buy this 10K plus taxes, Tenere (I still might, but today I have a dose of responsibility). So last week, what do I do? I always knew the SV650 was a great bike. I had a Vstrom 1000, ridden my brothers 650 I can't remember when. So I look around and find a 1999 SV650 standard. It was bought at an auction with 11K on the clock, all stock, and I take a chance and buy it ($1400). New battery, registration, insurance, sunny day and...
F**king thing rocks! I have just as much fun as my KTM and don't feel like I'm one corner away from prison. It was a nice bike but not five times the price. No electronics on the SV but it just fits me better, call me a redneck or what ever. This thing is a value machine that returns in spades. I appreciate you listening to me. I hope I didn't push any buttons on anyone. Just being the honest, transparent guy I have always been. I'm gonna hit send and you all have a great night.
Cheers,
Brian
Mukilteo, WA

Attachments

Premium Member
After a succession of liter bikes and a half century of riding I bought a Gen 1 about this time last year. I have nothing to add, except that I wish I had discovered the SV650 twenty years ago.

Registered
I enjoyed reading your background story. Some parallels with mine. I鈥檓 51, was bought up on a diet of Honda dirt bikes and I鈥檝e travelled some and sampled a few bikes over the years too. I like my wine. 馃嵎
The SV鈥檚 are a bit of an underrated gem. The motor is a sweet unit that doesn鈥檛 mind a few revs. They also transform well into racing bikes of which I have an 鈥07 model.
Just bought a new 2020 model last week with sexy blood red trellis frame. Prrrrr 馃槏
Hey that aftermarket fairing on your bike looks like a great wind cheater. I could of done with one of those the past few days running in the new bike. We鈥檙e going into winter down this part of the world now. 馃槙

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys. Always nice to connect with other riders via forums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts