Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

when to make the move to a liter bike? if ever...

9K views 77 replies 38 participants last post by  mad8vskillz 
I'd advise you to ride one before you buy/if you buy.

Doing as many group rides as I've done and getting to know as many riders as I know has afforded me lots of chances at other peoples bikes of all shapes and sizes.

Honestly there is just no other japanese bike I would trade my SV for....NONE!

Sure the 1k supersports are fast but as anyone who's ridden an SV can tell you, Fast does'nt equal fun.

The only bikes I've ridden so far that offer the fun level of the SV imho, would be have to be triumph speed or street series bikes, or the buell lightening, they both have great torque and are super agile and stable bikes.

Thats just my take on the problem at hand, torque+agility beats horsepower+stablity any day when it comes to having fun with your mistress.

I keep flip flopping on the issue,wanting a bike that will just go like hell and lift the front wheel with a flick of the wrist at virtually any speed /gear ,and then reality checks in the sv is already quick enough to get me in a ton of trouble,if you somehow get noticed at or near any of the limits by the police tickets and insurance and lawyers, i just don't make money to burn like that. If a REALLY good deal were to present itself,i'd have to get it as a second bike,but it would have to be as good a deal as my sv,it's been a year and a half and 8k miles on the sv, and i still see similar bikes sell for more than i paid. hell an dual purpose or sm is nearly as tempting as well.......
Sounds like you wan't a CR500 more than a literbike, thats really the only bike I know of that will come up in every single gear with just a blip of the throttle...I think if you've never ridden a 1000 your going to be pretty dissappointed with the power delivery unless your in the habit of running it at 12k rpm constantly...and even then you don't FEEL the power like you do with a twin or triple, you pretty much only have your tach and speedo to tell when the power comes on.

Liter bikes redline at ~12k. Peak power is generally 7-9k with significant power starting at 4k. Your statements are full of holes. Please dont misinform. The power delivery is in your face. You feel the power. I still can't fathom this pseudo behavior regarding the liter bikes of today.
Ok ok you got me I've never ridden a literbike, now I feel like a filthy poser.

Heres a dyno chart from sportrider magazines 07 shootout...look at that all but the ducati twin peak anywhere from 11,400 to 12,150.

My eyes must be retarded because it does'nt look like they even start measuring power untill 5k and then at 6k they only put out as much power as the SV650.

Before you shoot your mouth off try cracking the throttle open at 4k where you say a 1k makes so much power in 4th,5th, 6th gear and count the days it takes to reach the powerband....sorry bub I've ridden plenty of 1k's and unless you work the clutch and keep the revs up it feels like your dragging a corpse behind you...far far from having any sort of bottom end power...or mid range for that matter.

Far from midrange? Using your chart they all are making more than the SV650 peak by 6k. Ya dont think thats midrange eh? Perhaps you missed the reason for this thread, SV650 owner wanting to move to liter. Its about comparison, the OP questioning and wondering. Its not comparing a R1 to a CBR900RR. I dont care if you've ridden however many bikes however many times. It makes no difference. Like many members here, you're stuck in this mindset that hovers in the wrong. As always, everyones open to their opinions. Except you. I can argue semantics forever. Point is, your opinion is heavily flawed and in general, sucks.

SV650 is the best!
NO it's not best, but it's really hard to get used to something else, especially when your used to actually going when you crack the throttle....you know, being responsive, inline fours suck when it comes to throttle response off the bottom and in the middle "FACT", it's only my opinion that it makes them less fun.

I'm not comparing literbikes to literbikes ****tard, I simply stated their weakest point which is why myself and most other twin riders would'nt own one, but if you got such an erection for them i'll say that an SS bike is a lot more stable and holds a line better than the SV...FACT! but other than that their just boring to ride...OPINION! and the power delivery sucks for anyone that's use to a twin...OPINION!

I labled this post so you know what to and what not to take as a literal and universal statement of fact. Maybe in the future my opinions won't make your cooz bleed so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.