Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm quite happy w/ my SV650. plenty of bike for me. from time to time i muse about moving to a liter bike. maybe the big-boy SV1000 or an aprilia RSV.

but then i get to thinking about what my "decision point" would be to make that move. what's the reason(s), aside from "i just want it", to make the move from a supersport to a superbike?

i dont do track days. i dont race on the track or on the street. i dont ride like a stunting *******. i generally ride solo and like my curvy roads when i can find them and i do like to ride in an "athletic", dynamic way.

but my riding rarely requires me to have my throttle pinned. so if i'm *not* regularly using all that my 650 has to offer in the power dept, then why the heck would i need more?!

edit: i *have* upgraded my SV w/ the GSXR front-end and ZX10R shock so that the bike handles appropriately for the way i ride. i'm also in the process of fitting the 5.5" GSXR back wheel w/ 180 rubber, too -- more for aesthetics, though!

·
Registered
233 Posts
you probably don't, the big advantage to those supersport bikes and the RSV etc. are the suspension and the huge amount of researchand development that goes into every part of those bikes. All the adjustments, plus steering dampners on most new sport bikes makes for a much different ride than the SV.

Also, if you like to just ride at your own pace and are not really pushing it, you might actually like riding a big liter v-twin or i-4 and just cruising with it. I'm sure the same stretch of road on the SV will feel a bit more frantic.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The only reason I want a liter bike is aestetics. I really love the looks of the Speed Triple. The Street looks similar, but it's missing that SSSA which makes the bike to me. I wonder if its possible to put the Speed's SSSA on a Street?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'd advise you to ride one before you buy/if you buy.

Doing as many group rides as I've done and getting to know as many riders as I know has afforded me lots of chances at other peoples bikes of all shapes and sizes.

Honestly there is just no other japanese bike I would trade my SV for....NONE!

Sure the 1k supersports are fast but as anyone who's ridden an SV can tell you, Fast does'nt equal fun.

The only bikes I've ridden so far that offer the fun level of the SV imho, would be have to be triumph speed or street series bikes, or the buell lightening, they both have great torque and are super agile and stable bikes.

Thats just my take on the problem at hand, torque+agility beats horsepower+stablity any day when it comes to having fun with your mistress.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Inline fours have never interested me. I've owned an SV650, Speed Triple and Daytona 675. Now I'm back, looking for another SV. It really is the best bike out there IMO.

The liter bikes may have more power but are also noticeably heavier.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think you answered your own question....
You're happy with your SV, and you don't need more power....
We're seldom able to use all the SV's power for more than a few seconds. On a literbike, using all the power makes one instantly eligible for a reckless driving ticket!
I've ridden a lot of faster bikes, but I've never had more fun on a bike than I have on my SV.

I say keep it!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I recently got the opportunity to try a buell firebolt since the guy was gonna trade me for it. I took everyone on here's advise and passed. When I road, it feld solid an no problems. Had some scratches on left side but not bad. As I was cruising, I realized that the SV has just what I want for the turns and the gearing of that bike wouldn't fit my needs. Tomorrow on our ride I will be trying out my bosses raven and we will see. My last bike was a 94 gsxr 750 and it was not as fun as the sv.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Is there a real need to upgrade to a liter bike?? I mean you don't see people who drive 4 bangers asking when they should step up to a V8 or V6 twin turbo.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I keep flip flopping on the issue,wanting a bike that will just go like hell and lift the front wheel with a flick of the wrist at virtually any speed /gear ,and then reality checks in the sv is already quick enough to get me in a ton of trouble,if you somehow get noticed at or near any of the limits by the police tickets and insurance and lawyers, i just don't make money to burn like that. If a REALLY good deal were to present itself,i'd have to get it as a second bike,but it would have to be as good a deal as my sv,it's been a year and a half and 8k miles on the sv, and i still see similar bikes sell for more than i paid. hell an dual purpose or sm is nearly as tempting as well.......

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you like your SV650 but you want a liter bike, just get an SV1000. I love mine. More power than you will need 95 percent of the time. The 5 percent of the time you do tap the big v-twin for all it's got, you will be pleased at how much power you have at the twist of a wrist. I bought the SV1000S and have never ridden a SV650. After riding my bike for a year and a half, I could never go to a 650. I know I would miss the extra power too much. I don't know what your priorities are for riding a bike but if you did decide to upsize to the 1000, you would never regret it. It's a whole different animal.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I keep flip flopping on the issue,wanting a bike that will just go like hell and lift the front wheel with a flick of the wrist at virtually any speed /gear ,and then reality checks in the sv is already quick enough to get me in a ton of trouble,if you somehow get noticed at or near any of the limits by the police tickets and insurance and lawyers, i just don't make money to burn like that. If a REALLY good deal were to present itself,i'd have to get it as a second bike,but it would have to be as good a deal as my sv,it's been a year and a half and 8k miles on the sv, and i still see similar bikes sell for more than i paid. hell an dual purpose or sm is nearly as tempting as well.......
Sounds like you wan't a CR500 more than a literbike, thats really the only bike I know of that will come up in every single gear with just a blip of the throttle...I think if you've never ridden a 1000 your going to be pretty dissappointed with the power delivery unless your in the habit of running it at 12k rpm constantly...and even then you don't FEEL the power like you do with a twin or triple, you pretty much only have your tach and speedo to tell when the power comes on.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Sounds like you wan't a CR500 more than a literbike, thats really the only bike I know of that will come up in every single gear with just a blip of the throttle...I think if you've never ridden a 1000 your going to be pretty dissappointed with the power delivery unless your in the habit of running it at 12k rpm constantly...and even then you don't FEEL the power like you do with a twin or triple, you pretty much only have your tach and speedo to tell when the power comes on.
Liter bikes redline at ~12k. Peak power is generally 7-9k with significant power starting at 4k. Your statements are full of holes. Please dont misinform. The power delivery is in your face. You feel the power. I still can't fathom this pseudo behavior regarding the liter bikes of today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently rode a 09' GSX-R 1000 and I have to say, I was impressed. I was wanting one bad for like 2 weeks after that; but I never once thought of selling my SV. It was not better than my SV, but it was different. The new Gixxer 1000 has plenty of low end grunt and does not feel peeky at all; it just gets faster, and faster, and faster. While it handles great for it's size, I could run rings around it on the roads in my area on my SV.

If you wanted another bike in addition to your SV, I say go for it. If you are loooking for a replacement, then I would think twice about it. From the sound of it, you already have the best bike for you.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Liter bikes redline at ~12k. Peak power is generally 7-9k with significant power starting at 4k. Your statements are full of holes. Please dont misinform. The power delivery is in your face. You feel the power. I still can't fathom this pseudo behavior regarding the liter bikes of today.
Ok ok you got me I've never ridden a literbike, now I feel like a filthy poser.

Heres a dyno chart from sportrider magazines 07 shootout...look at that all but the ducati twin peak anywhere from 11,400 to 12,150.

My eyes must be retarded because it does'nt look like they even start measuring power untill 5k and then at 6k they only put out as much power as the SV650.

Before you shoot your mouth off try cracking the throttle open at 4k where you say a 1k makes so much power in 4th,5th, 6th gear and count the days it takes to reach the powerband....sorry bub I've ridden plenty of 1k's and unless you work the clutch and keep the revs up it feels like your dragging a corpse behind you...far far from having any sort of bottom end power...or mid range for that matter.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Far from midrange? Using your chart they all are making more than the SV650 peak by 6k. Ya dont think thats midrange eh? Perhaps you missed the reason for this thread, SV650 owner wanting to move to liter. Its about comparison, the OP questioning and wondering. Its not comparing a R1 to a CBR900RR. I dont care if you've ridden however many bikes however many times. It makes no difference. Like many members here, you're stuck in this mindset that hovers in the wrong. As always, everyones open to their opinions. Except you. I can argue semantics forever. Point is, your opinion is heavily flawed and in general, sucks.

SV650 is the best!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts