Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you guys change your oil during the first 3000 miles? I changed it at 600 and am at 1000 now. When should I change it again? The only reason I ask is because I finished the break-in and am wondering if I should change it again or wait the recommended 3000 miles. I know it won't hurt, but will it help?

---thanks

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
oh no! :eek: ;D

you can change it again at 1500 miles or so for peace of mind if you want. but your bike won't know the difference unless you are riding it really hard. don't expect your bike to 'last longer' because you change oil more frequently (maybe 1 in 10,000 bikes reach end-of-life due to anything dirty-oil-related not counting people who never change oil). also don't expect your bike to make more horsepower at 50k miles because you changed the oil more frequently (the difference between a bike changed every 3k miles and one changed every 1k miles is negligible).

my recommendation is if you ride real hard at track days, change it again at 1500 miles, otherwise just wait until 3k. the bottom line is do what makes you feel good-- as long as you change your oil consistently, your bike will never be in danger of any damage due to dirty-oil-related issues.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Since you don't have to change the filter, do it as often as you want to untill you need to do another filter change too.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Follow the manual. Also, what beats up oil is short trips where the engine is not up to full operating temperature long enough to cook out the inevitable initial blowby and condensed water. The rule of thumb is 30 minutes at full temperature. Racing is not as hard on the oil as daily short-trip commuting and errand running. O.K., maybe drag racing is as hard.

Also, maybe I'm just old school but I do change the filter every time. The dilution factor is too high for my comfort. Will it make a difference? Maybe not, but as mentioned above, oil and filters (Purolators in my case) are cheap enough that you should make yourself happy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies! My riding consist of a 2 mile commute to school and 100 mile trips on the weekend.

I will change it at 1500 and then go every 3000 miles. I thought I would check first to see if I should change it after the break in is done with.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I changed mine in the parking lot of the dealership...after I turned it on to drive it out of the building. Then I changed it when I got home. Then I changed it every 130 miles or a tank of gas(whichever came first.)

This is the only way to change your oil during break-in. Anything else will cause your bike to explode.

BTW, I didn't not rev above idle...I coasted around for the first 1500 miles. Again, anything else will cause your bike to explode killing everyone in a 500ft. radius.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts