Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drink plenty of water. It was pretty bad here this weekend at Blackhawk Farms for teh CCS races. Some people were starting to show signs of heat exhaustion. One racer apparently passed out and fell of his bike.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Just last weekend, I drank about 1.5 gal H2O just to maintain proper hydration. And by 1 or 2 pm, I was feeling signs of heat exhaustion.

I agree and highly recommend lots of water, proper diet/electrolyte balance, shade, etc. My next trackday is in a week.

Keep safe everyone!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
My two favorite tricks:
- Camel Back (during track days, not when I'm racing)
- Damp towel in the bottom of the cooler. Every time I come off track, that bad boy goes right around my neck.

Helmet fans help, too, but they're more of a convenience than a safeguard against heat exhaustion. Putting on a dry & cool helmet is much nicer than a nasty sweaty one.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
something that worked for me in my MX days...canned peaches, fruit cocktail, etc...

AND water/gatoraid etc...

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Remember to start hydrating the day or two before. If you neglect, you won't be able to drink enough water the day of.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
It was brutal at Summit Point this past weekend too...

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
+1 to drinking plenty of fluids in the days before the event. By the time you start feeling thirsty, it is probably already a problem.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Do your own research on pedialyte - it has half the sugar but twice the salt of Gatorade (typically).

I have used it and it works great, as sugar is my biggest problem with drinking Gatorade.

Lots of people have great results with it so certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't forget you are going to need some potassium intake to help you absorb the water. To the same effect, if you're taking something like pedialyte, it should help balance the increase in sodium. Had a hot day at VIR yesterday, could definitely feel it the last few sessions.

Another thing to do is soak a shirt in water and put it on under your leathers just before you go out.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I make sure I have plenty of fruit , bananas , pineapple , grapes etc. nothing with added sugar I drink lots water with propel and a couple gatorades for the electrolytes . If you are not peeing fairly clear pee at least every hour you are not hydrated enough . We all need to pay attention to our bodies in this heat if you blow a couple corners wondering what the hell , come in judgement is definately affected by getting overheated nobody wants to get hurt we all gotta work ! Its gonna be brutal this weekend at HPT !!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
2 sandwich sized ziplocks full of crushed ice. Leave them partially open, and stick them in the front of your suit. The ice melts and you get a cold water bath as the water comes out the top. Take it easy the first time you try it because it can surprise you the first time you're down on the tank. Sounded crazy the first time I heard of it but I tried it at the track on Saturday and it was great. And then when you get back to the paddock, take them out and combine whatever is left and put it on top of your head. I used a hat to hold it in place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Doing a track day at The Ridge in Shelton WA this Thursday that is supposed to be 35 degrees. Being from Vancouver, BC I've really only had a few days in my life spent in Mid to high 30 degree weather, and it's always been spent in a pool or on a golf course! I'm going to use the trick of keeping towels in the cooler and drink a TON of water. I may have to try the crushed ice in a zip lock trick too. It will be an awesome day though!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I can't believe no one chimed in from Florida. Try Jennings, Homestead, PBIR and Otlanta, Barber. You want to talk about heat!! I understand that up north you guys are surprised by it for sure. I don't go to the those tracks between June and September. Talk about tire wear!!
I drink at least 1 1/2 gallon of water and lots of fruits, I raced MTB down here and hydrating the night before is super important.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Remember to start hydrating the day or two before. If you neglect, you won't be able to drink enough water the day of.
+1

Drink enough so that you pee is clear the entire day before you go and continue that rate of hydration during the day.

Soaking a cotton tee shirt in a cooler's ice water and putting it on right before each race should help keep your core temp down a lot too.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't believe no one chimed in from Florida. Try Jennings, Homestead, PBIR and Otlanta, Barber. You want to talk about heat!! I understand that up north you guys are surprised by it for sure. I don't go to the those tracks between June and September. Talk about tire wear!!
I drink at least 1 1/2 gallon of water and lots of fruits, I raced MTB down here and hydrating the night before is super important.

Actually I ddint have too much issues at BHF that weekend. It wasnt like typical WI/IL hot spell where its very humid. It was more of a desert heat. Hot, but not crazy humid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts