Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good article on the Pros/Cons Like/Dislike of mandatory helmet laws.

Some motorcyclists like their helmets but dislike laws

In Wisconsin, 92% of those killed in motorcycle crashes last year were not wearing helmets. That was up considerably from previous years, when the high was about 76%, according to Greg Patzer, manager of the Wisconsin Motorcycle Safety Program, part of the state Department of Transportation.
P.S. Make sure you check out the 'Comments' section!

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Comments are pure gold. So much stupid packed into so few words.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
The level of childish self-importance in the general public is both alarmiing and comical. A significant segment of our population clings to the position that if they simply choose not to believe evidence, they can avoid the consequences of reality.

·
Registered
850 Posts
"There's a knee-jerk reaction that if you wrap your head in plastic and foam, it's got to help,"
I like this comment. It shows a lot of ignorance.

A helmet is about absorbing energy. I'd rather have that piece of plastic and foam directly absorb energy, than directly by my skin, skull, and brain. Of course it helps. It's not a "knee jerk" reaction.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
The level of childish self-importance in the general public is both alarmiing and comical. A significant segment of our population clings to the position that if they simply choose not to believe evidence, they can avoid the consequences of reality.
So sad but true.

For me, if you don't want to wear basic safety equipment (helmet/seat belt) then that is fine. Just don't turn around and make me pay for it through unpaid medical bills and/or insurance.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well helmets are nice but no one can see my full badassness while i ride around scowling on my 25k+ harley.:mad:

I live here and id say 95% of cruisers are no helemts or if anything those useless beanie style ones but on other bikes i do see a fair amount of helmets.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ouch... One rider was killed when a tree fell on him... That's just bad luck man.
I kind of saw that happen, assuming only one rider was killed by a tree last year in Wisconsin.
It was a severe microburst out of nowhere - I think the winds hit 80mph+ for a brief period of time. Knocked over some trees in my area, branches everywhere, etc. I was outside workin on my SV and I saw a bike go by. About 30 seconds later the microburst hit and blew **** all over.
About five minutes later I look down the road and see a tree had fallen across the road, and I saw a motorcycle underneath it. The homeowners on that spot were already outside and had called 911, but the dude was likely dead on impact.
I'm pretty sure a helmet wouldn't have saved him.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
:roflmao: I love your comments

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
"When it comes right down to it, dead people can't tell you much"

A coroner would dispute this statement.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
NEAT

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
So sad but true.

For me, if you don't want to wear basic safety equipment (helmet/seat belt) then that is fine. Just don't turn around and make me pay for it through unpaid medical bills and/or insurance.
I'd be really, really careful with that train of thought. The "you shouldn't make other members of society pay for your lifestyle choices" reasoning can be used to ban ANY activity the majority deems "too dangerous". You think riding with gear is on one side of that line and riding without is on the other. Opinions vary. What if the majority thought that people riding a bike at all cost them too much??

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
"a helmet weighs 6-8 lbs." ?

wow, that one WILL break your neck, and without even leaving the garage.

the level of ignorance is truely amazing. that comment was from someone who claimed to be a rider of 22yrs, but what he didn't say was that the 22 yrs. were between 1918 and 1940, and the helmet was one he captured from a german soldier during the war.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I strongly believe that forcing someone to wear a motorcycle helmet is nothing more than a minor inconvenience to them at worst and has little to do with true freedom.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I kind of saw that happen, assuming only one rider was killed by a tree last year in Wisconsin.
It was a severe microburst out of nowhere - I think the winds hit 80mph+ for a brief period of time. Knocked over some trees in my area, branches everywhere, etc. I was outside workin on my SV and I saw a bike go by. About 30 seconds later the microburst hit and blew **** all over.
About five minutes later I look down the road and see a tree had fallen across the road, and I saw a motorcycle underneath it. The homeowners on that spot were already outside and had called 911, but the dude was likely dead on impact.
I'm pretty sure a helmet wouldn't have saved him.
That's some crazy shizz. When I was younger my mother lost a horse to a microburst. Not a good way to learn the phenomena.

·
Woody's Lackey
1,464 Posts
this reminds me of one day i was at work and a discussion about helmets started, and of course the place i worked at at this time was full of diehard harley riders. one guy told me that helmets dont help anything and are useless. then he went into a speech that if he could take a sledge hammer and bust a helmet apart with one hit then how could it help. i looked at him and said, for the times i have wrecked, ive never had sledge hammers swinging in the air trying to hit me. then i tried to explain that a helmet isnt 100% all the time, but he went into his harley talk about helmets and then everyone got on his side saying there nothing but a waste. later that week we all started talking about motorcycles and they told me you dont countersteer a harley either.

·
Registered
688 Posts
this reminds me of one day i was at work and a discussion about helmets started, and of course the place i worked at at this time was full of diehard harley riders. one guy told me that helmets dont help anything and are useless. then he went into a speech that if he could take a sledge hammer and bust a helmet apart with one hit then how could it help. i looked at him and said, for the times i have wrecked, ive never had sledge hammers swinging in the air trying to hit me. then i tried to explain that a helmet isnt 100% all the time, but he went into his harley talk about helmets and then everyone got on his side saying there nothing but a waste. later that week we all started talking about motorcycles and they told me you dont countersteer a harley either.

Harley's probably don't require much counter steering considering they'd probably break down before the got off the driveway anyhow...

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.”
― Ayn Rand

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
... if he could take a sledge hammer and bust a helmet apart with one hit then how could it help...
i guess it wouldn't help to mention that's the point of the helmet; it busts so your head doesn't have to.
pointless to argue with someone who refuses to accept facts. maybe next time steer the conversation to pan heads and jockey shifts and see if they even know anything about harleys. it's always nice to expose jerks like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts