Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Well, it is a brand new bike, but yeah I'd pay $7000 for that easily, it's not often you find a street legal XR-R

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Well, it is a brand new bike, but yeah I'd pay $7000 for that easily, it's not often you find a street legal XR-R
It took him about $50 and a half hour to get the license plate and title for that bike here in CO. I had a NY plated Honda CRF250 and a Kawi KLX300 when I lived back east where it is much harder to pull off, but if you look in the right places you can find whatever you want for far less than that seller is trying to convince people it's worth.

Out of my riding group back in NY/NJ I think 3 or 4 of them had plated 650XRR's

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
It sure is clean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a 2001 XR-R and it was very easy to plate here in IN. It was an awesome bike though and I wish I never sold it. People kill me with how much they over-value their stuff. They're usually the same people who are lowballing the crap out of you when you sell something.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I give aftermarket parts almost no value. They act as a tie breaker in the event of two evenly priced similar year/mileage vehicles.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
You need to get out more. They're everywhere. Especially the 650s. They're sold from the dealer street legal. That's about a $3k bike. And that's being generous.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I give aftermarket parts almost no value. They act as a tie breaker in the event of two evenly priced similar year/mileage vehicles.
+1

When used car dealers buy trucks, 90% of the time they remove any modifications they can. Aftermarket parts actually hurt the value of cars. I would imagine it would be the same with bikes.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Upgrades/accessories/add-ons are selling points for motorbikes, but don't always increase the value.

However, it never hurts to start high with expectations to negotiate down. You can't exactly negotiate up on a price.

Example: 2010 1098SF with $5,000 in extras. NADA might be $12,000, so you ask for $19,000, and negotiate $17,000. Buyer gets a good deal, seller still profits.

All assuming the motorbike is in great condition.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Asking $19000 isnt a way to get $17000. It is a way to not sell your bike.

You're going to scare off buyers with that outrageous asking price. They probably won't even contact you. Most people don't like confrontation, and asking a guy to take 26% off his price can make people angry.

Add $2500, not $5000. People feel they can negotiate 14500 down nearer to 12000.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Mods do add value, if the mod is desirable for the buyer. However, most times people seem to think the new purchase price of the mod is what that added value is, which is incorrect. They depreciate just like any other part on a vehicle.

If someone ever told me the things I've done to my bike don't add value, I'd tell them then if I take them off, you'll still pay $xxxx (book value)? Chances are no, they either wouldn't be interested anymore, or would want to haggle more.

Now, if you don't care if the bike has a stock exhaust or Two-bro's slip on, then maybe that mod doesn't add value for you. But it could for someone who would add a slip-on anyway.

It's all about having the right bike, for the right buyer. Mod's just decrease you're pool of potential buyers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
To me, buying a bike with cosmetic modification robs me of the oppurtunity to change it myself.... which is a huge bummer.

I would never buy a performance modded bike, because I assume anyone that is modding the bike for performance is probably riding it hard. (which they should be). Too much risk that they didn't do something right.

For instance, I personally just took my crankcase apart to replace my transmission. I personally know that i did everything right...but if i went to BUY a bike from an amateur mechanic and he told me "i just tore the motor down and rebuilt it"...i would RUN AWAY. You never know if they stripped out threads in there somewhere and are just trying to sell it before it falls apart.

The zero miles bike that's listed may be a good deal.. or it might be someone who is looking to get rid of that bike because of some unknown issue.
Edit: the price is definitely not a "good deal"..i'm just saying it might not be ruined.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Mods do add value, if the mod is desirable for the buyer. However, most times people seem to think the new purchase price of the mod is what that added value is, which is incorrect. They depreciate just like any other part on a vehicle.

If someone ever told me the things I've done to my bike don't add value, I'd tell them then if I take them off, you'll still pay $xxxx (book value)? Chances are no, they either wouldn't be interested anymore, or would want to haggle more.

Now, if you don't care if the bike has a stock exhaust or Two-bro's slip on, then maybe that mod doesn't add value for you. But it could for someone who would add a slip-on anyway.

It's all about having the right bike, for the right buyer. Mod's just decrease you're pool of potential buyers.
+1. If I was buying another SV, and 2 options were available, one completely stock and the other with GSXR front end, Penske shock, better tires, luggage, etc etc, and the second was asking $1000 more, in that case the mods would play a large role, and both the buyer/seller woudl win in that situation.

This bike is definitely priced a bit too high, sure is clean, but still too high. Do all those mods, might as well keep and ride the bike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Regardless of all the farkles on this thing, who buys a 2004 bike, pimps it up, and never rides it for 8 years? And you want full retail for it?? He is going to have that bike for a long, long tiime at that price.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts