Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
I lube my chain once a month. I wash it completely off with WD40, then ride the bike for 10 mins and put on honda chain lube. Remember to get the O-rings!

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I think the SV service manual recommends every 600 miles

I don't follow that religiously though... usually I will lube before any of my long rides 200+ miles and then I try to do it twice otherwise in between oil changes

·
Registered
198 Posts
The service interval is 600 miles. BUT - In addition, I do it every time I clean the chain, or after riding in dusty or severe rain conditions.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It needs it when it needs it. That varies with conditions (like rain), with lube product (gear oil versus chain wax for example), and probably even with how well you applied it. So the best thing is probably to inspect your chain regularly, get familiar with it, and keep it clean, lubed, and properly adjusted, rather than trying to go solely based on recommendations.

·
Registered
745 Posts
and remember, lube it when it's gonna be parked over night. That will prevent chain fling. ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I purposefully stopped doing mine so that I can have a good reason to upgrade to a 520 conversion and a new Vortex sproket

·
Registered
63 Posts
Randy S said:
It needs it when it needs it.  That varies with conditions (like rain), with lube product (gear oil versus chain wax for example), and probably even with how well you applied it.  So the best thing is probably to inspect your chain regularly, get familiar with it, and keep it clean, lubed, and properly adjusted, rather than trying to go solely based on recommendations.
+1.  Also, I don't really see a problem with over lubing.  If you lube after your ride and let it sit, it shouldn't make a mess.  Chain lube is fairly inexpensive and your chain is kind of important ;D.  So,  I do a quick check after each ride and lube if needed. No real schedule.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts