Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some noobs around here tucked in at or about 35mph! that seems totally rediculous to me. i don't normally tuck in until around 55mph+ if it's a long streach of road. even then i feel kinda odd doing it, cuz it's not like it's 55 is all that fast, but it sure is a lot quieter when i'm behind the windscreen. even with my ear plugs in, it makes a huge difference.
i'm just curious how everyone else feels about it.
sorry if it's a repost.
also include some synonyms for tucking in.
dave

btw: the earplugs that i use are Moldex Pura-fit 6800 brand and have about 30db noise reduction. best that i've used so far. give them a shot if you get the chance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
...windscreen?

I ride naked, and i tuck in at about 55.. try to hide behind the headlight &gauge cluster

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Whenever I feel like it: Wind, rest my back or hands, fart, play race the little kid in the back of the mini-van who points at me and yells "look mom, a motorcycle!" as I pass...

p.s. I do the 'jockey-whip' as I pretend to have difficulty passing their van--it drives the kiddies wild... ;D

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
on a windy day, after about 45mins into a ride, if im resting my back/hands...
typically its anything over 65ish just to get out of the majority of the wind...

I also do the jockey whip sometimes just to make people laugh...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
p.s.  I do the 'jockey-whip' as I pretend to have difficulty passing their van--it drives the kiddies wild... ;D
dackler said:
I also do the jockey whip sometimes just to make people laugh...
Cute

J

·
0 Posts
How much HP does jockey-whipping add? Sounds like a pretty advanced technique......better wait to try that one since I'm still a noob.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I voted "never" - nothing to tuck behind

I cant stand it when I see people tucking going down the highway or cruising at like 50mph, you really loose a lot of ability to move the bike around when your tucked

·
Registered
398 Posts
Tucking in makes you look like a poser and like you're racing on the highway. The only real time to tuck in is during inclement weather when you're really trying to use the protection.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
ls14ever said:
Tucking in makes you look like a poser and like you're racing on the highway. The only real time to tuck in is during inclement weather when you're really trying to use the protection.
I find that its a good time to tuck in if its extremely windy, or to rest my back when traveling on the highway. I really dont care if it looks like im racing, because im not.
A poser? what am I being a poser of?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't really care what people in cars think about me, so I tuck whenever I feel like it. That doesn't mean that I tuck all the time, but whenever I want to rest my neck, back, wrists, or if it's cold out I might do it. It doesn't seem to help anything if I'm going less the 80 or 90km/h though, so I don't do it then. On the highway, the point where I always seem to tuck is ~125km/h. I just happened to notice that last time I went for an extended rip on the highway.

Edit: I do care about what some people in cars think about me - cops. If I'm speeding (or even if I'm not) I usually make sure not to tuck while passing cops. I don't want to give them any extra reasons to think that I'm not the upstanding citizen that I am. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
p.s. I do the 'jockey-whip' as I pretend to have difficulty passing their van--it drives the kiddies wild... ;D
Never thought of that :-[

Gotta remember that next time I go by a schoolbus full of little ones calling for a wheelie.

I don't tuck in, but then, on a Nekked, wouldn't it be "tuck down"?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Don't tuck much but I do have the double bubble windscreen. Helps quite a bit for us shorter people. If I'm tucking I'm probably over 100.

N

·
0 Posts
On the freeway I tuck in, put my chin on the tank, hang my feet up on the passenger pegs or rear seat and put my left hand on my hip- partly because I'm just too cool, and partly because it keeps my baggy shorts from blowing off in the slipstream...

:)

...but really, if it's crappy out I'll do the dirt track tuck (head down, left hand on fork tube) but never where there's any traffic.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Last week I saw this kid(maaaybe 18 tops) on a brand new 636, riding in shorts, t-shirt & sneakers (actually did have a helmet though!) going 40mph in full race tuck, like... chin firmly planted on the gas tank. He wasn't accelerating or anything, just putting along with traffic. Weather was perfect, no wind, no rain. He was just a doofus.

·
Registered
238 Posts
only tuck when a long straightaway and I'm going 100+ You look super silly unless you're just flying, in that case no one see's you long enough to judge your silliness ;D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts