Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on a search to find a set of used wheels -- salvage, extra parts, whatever -- for the track bike. The prices I found are outrageous. It might be time to go into the aftermarket wheel business.

However, in the short term to expand my possibilities and enhance the opportunity to find cheap wheels, what, if anything, from other models will fit right on the SV, preferably with rotors.

·
Registered
514 Posts
F3 rear wheel with some mods, depending on year.

What year is your bike?

I have a mint front wheel I'll sell you.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The track bike is a 99. I thought the wheels from all years and models were interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
OldGuyOnBlu said:
So I went on a search to find a set of used wheels -- salvage, extra parts, whatever -- for the track bike. The prices I found are outrageous. It might be time to go into the aftermarket wheel business.

However, in the short term to expand my possibilities and enhance the opportunity to find cheap wheels, what, if anything, from other models will fit right on the SV, preferably with rotors.
yep... you can get F3 wheel cheep if you watch ebay... sometimes you can get SV wheels cheap on ebay too though many times the price climbs higher than you would expect.

I had thought about looking into aftermarket wheels but came to this conclusion... don't think anyone makes an aftermarket rear wheel smaller than 5.5" which would put me on at least 170-180 rear tread (which I don't desire at all) and considering the costs for a good set... I am sticking with F3 rear for track days and have another SV front I use.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
for the price of sv wheels, i dont see why anobyd wouldnt get an f3 rear wheel and get twf's spacer kit, you still save and now u have a badass looking rear wheel,

G

·
novakane said:
for the price of sv wheels, i dont see why anobyd wouldnt get an f3 rear wheel and get twf's spacer kit, you still save and now u have a badass looking rear wheel,
I don't get the 'badass looking'. IMO it doesn't fit with the aesthetics of the bike. That's for 2nd gen BTW - looks perty good on first gen.

I can' thelp but think there has to be a simple wider rim swap that fits the 'suzuki 3-spoke' scheme - Bandit 1200 comes to mind. GSXR looks good to me because it is 'angular', more so than the stock rims. I prefer the rounder, more organic look in general, but in terms of fitting with the 2nd gen aesthetics, angular with triangles seems more complementary.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
toddpnewton said:
but in terms of fitting with the 2nd gen aesthetics, angular with triangles seems more complementary.
Yes, I agree that sharp angle look better.... but all the differing opinions are what keeps each bike interesting and different.... I mean until someone who lacks personal creativity just mocks anothers bike, but thats neither here nor there.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think the F3 rear wheel is one of the best looking things I've done to my bike! I only wish the I could get the front F3 wheel to fit too! I think it goes perfectly with the second gen's angular aesthetics. Three spoke Suzuki wheels are dull.

G

·
Novadesigns said:
I think the F3 rear wheel is one of the best looking things I've done to my bike! I only wish the I could get the front F3 wheel to fit too! I think it goes perfectly with the second gen's angular aesthetics. Three spoke Suzuki wheels are dull.
I'll admit that as a pair they would look pretty dang good; I definitely don't like the mismatch. I kind of like the sparseness of 3 spokes. I would definitely like it if less spokes always meant lighter wheel!

GSXR to me looks better than stock (if you take the time to notice the difference). F3 vs GSXR? To me F3 looks better on paper or side-by-side, but doesn't seem to fit the bike as well. Maybe if I saw one in person instead of pictures all the time I'd change my mind.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
toddpnewton said:
Maybe if I saw one in person instead of pictures all the time I'd change my mind.
It really sticks out more on the silver framed bikes, in perfect side profile shots.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Folks:
I don't care about the looks at all. I'm trying to get a cheap set of wheels to mount a separate set of tires on. If the F3 will fit my first gen SV without adaptation, that will add to my possibilities. As for second generation wheels, is it an easy swap out of bearings and spacers to get them to fit correctly?

I need to stay with 160s, which is why wider rims are out of the picture.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
used sv wheels usually go on ebay for $100-200

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
OldGuyOnBlu said:
Folks:
I don't care about the looks at all. I'm trying to get a cheap set of wheels to mount a separate set of tires on. If the F3 will fit my first gen SV without adaptation, that will add to my possibilities. As for second generation wheels, is it an easy swap out of bearings and spacers to get them to fit correctly?

I need to stay with 160s, which is why wider rims are out of the picture.
you can still put a 160 on an F3 wheel, wait till the end of the winter when everyone starts bringing their bikes out after the mods this winter, i'm sure there'll be a set of 1st gen sv wheels on here for sale

·
Registered
381 Posts
1998-and up Katana 600/750 rear wheels are the same-not sure about the front-I heard they were slightly different(like bearings) but you can pick up a a very Nice SV rear wheel for like $50 if you look around. They may eb listed as katan wheels

G

·
LordMDP said:
1998-and up Katana 600/750 rear wheels are the same-not sure about the front-I heard they were slightly different(like bearings) but you can pick up a a very Nice SV rear wheel for like $50 if you look around. They may eb listed as katan wheels
subbed for 1st gen I assume.
Re-ask this question - is the only diff between 1st/2nd the bearings?

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
toddpnewton said:
subbed for 1st gen I assume.
Re-ask this question - is the only diff between 1st/2nd the bearings?
The spacers are different as well, but in this situation, a moot point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts