Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to practice wheelies on an sv1000 2004 ,Im 240 but have a muscular build and Im starting to really get some hard acceleration down pat.I dont want to wreck my bike but if it can be practiced safely(relatively)Ill try it.All opinions appreciated,even the ones who say not to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the front wheel up by going 15mph reving to 8000 and poping the clutch but it seems all or nothing am I doing something wrong(speed,rpm,gear)?

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is on a 1000? You gotta be doing something wrong. My 650 will loft the front just by twistin the throttle hard in first. You really need someone with a 1000 to answer this. Maybe they are weaker that the 650. ;D

·
Registered
68 Posts
duane said:
Got the front wheel up by going 15mph reving to 8000 and poping the clutch but it seems all or nothing am I doing something wrong(speed,rpm,gear)?
Geeziz, nice knowin' ya...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was some pretty bad advice from somebody.I have tried to throttle up from 20mph and Im not sure of my position because Im 250 and Im not sure if Im leaning to much on front?I have had the front wheel off the ground but recieved bad advice last time and poped the clutch at 7-8000 and yanked my back good but it went back down when I released the throttle.If you could please explain body positioning because I have heard gsx and ninja riders talk about poping the clutch and bouncing the front wheel but that seems to be alot of risk and I wont try that again.From 20mph it launches really hard but I think Im leaning to much on the front but dont want to wear out the clutch or sit wrong on the bike when it lifts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you're just wanting 1st gear wheelies, try the bounce technique. wack open the throttle in first real quick-off throttle-wack again and be ready. This causes the front end to "bounce" somewhat and uses the fork compression to help raise the front. I imagine with the torque of the twin, this should work for the 1000 also. "Wack" like you're quick reving the engine. Just be careful and start with moderate throttle that second time so as not to suprise yo' self. Good Luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
first off I not verry good at wheelies on a streetbike but I can easily wheelie my sv1000 in 1st gear just wack the throttle open I did one from 5 mph by just giving it alot of throttle quikly. i accidently did one shifting into 2nd gear at 70 mph once. if you sit back as far as you can on the seat and just give it alot of throttle it will do a wheelie. My sv650 would allso do a wheelie using this method

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just sit comfortably in the seat and grip the tank GENTLY with your knees. Roll along in first gear and DO NOT TOUCH THE CLUTCH. Don't think about a "bounce" yet, Keep It Simple Stup... :) Even though the bounce can help, when you are first starting, I think it pays more to concentrate on being smooth.

Anyway, you're rolling in first below your torque peak, say, 6000rpm. Then GENTLY roll off the throttle to load the front springs a little. You might drop to 5500rpm. Once the springs are loaded, just twist the throttle open, quickly, but smoothly. Try different rpm, too. You have to practice to get the feel for it. If the sensations involved don't allow you to feel everything that's going on, you are probably not comfortable enough on the bike yet to even be trying this stuff. If that is the case, don't sweat it. Just spend as much time learning to ride as you can, and all the BS will come naturally in time. One thing's for sure: the front WILL come up on a SV1K if you open the throttle quickly, and your weight has nothing to do with it.

As long as you are somewhere with no cops and no traffic, you could also accelerate slowly away from a stop sign or light, and open the throttle up right as you ride over the crown of the road. This will loft the tire even easier than tugging on the bars.

Just don't whack or pop anything, and practice a little. Oh yeah, and general rule of thumb, don't listen to anyone that rides a GSX-R on the street. He may be a really good rider, but if you don't know him well, the odds are much stronger that he's a wanna-be stuntah street squid, yo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I kissed wheelies goodbye as i am stretching and slamming my 1000s
But before, I can do wheelies on command just by slightly bouncing the
front suspension then rolling it up. It takes practice and balls to walk a bike.
The bike will also come up on the right shift point b/w 1st and 2nd.
I believe anything after that requires clutch. Good Luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks thats alot of help,Ill try it tomorow when I ride Im going to take my time and get the feel for it.Im going to try that double rev first with a little practice. ;D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got to try it and got the wheel off the ground,not to high but noticable.Im in no hurry so Ill keep practicing.This will not tear my clutch up will it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
duane said:
Finally got to try it and got the wheel off the ground,not to high but noticable.Im in no hurry so Ill  keep practicing.This will not tear my clutch up will it.
Just make sure the chain is loaded before hitting the throttle! If there is slack in the chain it will bring the wheel up but you're putting a lot of un-needed stress on all the other components including the chain! :'(

Cheers

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just lately crashed my bike due to a high speed wheelie (130). I don't recommend them, but they're a ton of fun. The easiest way, I find, is to have your RPM's at about 7500 and push down on the forks as hard as you can and as they're coming up, give it a fistfull of throttle. You should be able to do this in 2nd gear as well. I went over backwards on mine shifting into 4th gear while in the air. Don't try shifting in the air. It's gonna end up in a crash.

·
Registered
107 Posts
03-SV650RR said:
I just lately crashed my bike due to a high speed wheelie (130).  I don't recommend them, but they're a ton of fun.  The easiest way, I find, is to have your RPM's at about 7500 and push down on the forks as hard as you can and as they're coming up, give it a fistfull of throttle.  You should be able to do this in 2nd gear as well.  I went over backwards on mine shifting into 4th gear while in the air.  Don't try shifting in the air.   It's gonna end up in a crash.
A buck 30 on a 650? Hope yer alright......

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
130mph wheelies on a 650?

yeah thats horse sh!t.. sorry, but it is. :-\

·
Registered
537 Posts
if you don't want to wreck your bike, don't do wheelies. it'll hit the pavement sooner or later. i know some friends who stunt (even have videos out) and they're great at it (12's, circles, etc) but all of their bikes have been down multiple times.

just the nature of the game esp. if you want to be good at it. if you wanna practice, buy a beater bike, maybe something w/o alot of hp so you actually use technique, not just a heavy throttle hand. don't use your pride n' joy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
wonderjosh said:
130mph wheelies on a 650?

yeah thats horse sh!t.. sorry, but it is.  :-\
Mighta been a helluva downhill and a good bump to lift the front-end off with........

·
Registered
171 Posts
sorry guys,
I'm from the great white north.(Canada)
I tend to use kilometers per hour ;)
130 would be about 75 mph I'm guessing.
Sorry for the confusion, but yes, I'm okay - only a cracked rib and lots of road rash (my leather jacket lifted up and my hip got rashed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just recently put a 14 tooth sprocket in front, and a 45 tooth in back of my svs. I can lift the front end up realy easy now in 1st gear.

Having a hard time figuring out how to get it up in second though, I don't pop my clutch to wheelie in first, havn't tried to do it in second. Is that how I should do it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
No, no, no.
Don't use the clutch to wheelie.
Push down as hard as you can on the forks and give it a fistful of gas.
She'll come right up for you

1 - 20 of 84 Posts