Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Ive heard things about pulliing wheelies might be harmfull for the engine. Is that true? I heard engine cant get oil while pulling a wheelie? Answer please?!

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Supposably a few people on this board (dont know who) grenaded their engine from bad oil pickup when the bike is in the verticle position. Wouldnt know for sure, but it's a very common thing to hear. Generally it sounds more like the people that ride out a wheelie for extended periods of time, rather than the occasional up and down power wheelie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like Evilbologna said... the problem is with sustained wheelies.

I've rebuilt a mates engine cos he was doing 3km stand up wheelies... the engine didn't like it and his crank was partly eaten by the conrods as a result. The problem is that the oil pickup is inthe centre of the engine, so when you get past about 10/11 o'clock, the oil no longer reaches the pickup. His engine was a 99, that 'did' have the extra baffles fitted as per the recall... The 03 does have a slightly larger oil gallery so it would probably last a little longer...

Anyhow, my advice is that you don't do wheelies longer than about 500-600ft, or you'll be doing damage... Little ones would be fine I'm sure.

I posted pics on www.sv1000.zyns.com in the 650 section of the forums, name of the thread is "oil pickup" or something... have a look...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the 03+ ones ok doing them? I heard they have the oil pickup in the back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No.... the 03's will still run out of oil. The pickup location is the same, the gallery is just slightly larger, so it won't be depleted of oil quite as fast. I still wouldn't recommend prolonged wheelies. Buy a gixxer if that's what you want.... Or a VTR.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Lockers_Au said:
No.... the 03's will still run out of oil. The pickup location is the same, the gallery is just slightly larger, so it won't be depleted of oil quite as fast. I still wouldn't recommend prolonged wheelies. Buy a gixxer if that's what you want.... Or a VTR.
Buells use a dry sump oil system, perfect for prolonged wheelies. :wink:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
Lockers_Au said:

Yeah, you know that wheelie school I found online uses Buells. ;)

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Novadesigns said:
AvidSV650Rider said:
Lockers_Au said:

Yeah, you know that wheelie school I found online uses Buells. ;)
Rode my bro's XB12R on Sunday, and they are perfect for it... Lots of power and torque on hand... I just couldn't get over how well it handled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i've read a lot of posts on squids and wheelies in dangerous places..... so just know that this is not me.

i have been riding for about a year now and have gotten somewhat used to minimal clutch wheelies. i ride a 99 sv650 w/ about18K on it. the only time i do them is in a parking lot or on an empty street so don't think youre giving advice to a dumba$$ squid. but, my question is, how do i get it get higher. i pull out of a stop go at about 10mph then pull my cluth in and let it go to about 8K rpm then drop it. it only comes up a little. do i need to have a slower start speed..... higher rpm drop..... sit further back i my seat?

i also read about power wheelies.... same start.... at about 10mph open the throttle all the way for a split second, let go, then yank it again. it came up like a centimeter. any advice would help. thanks

chris

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
The SV will do a roll on wheelie in 1st gear no problem,,,,,just scoot back on the seat crack the throttle from like 10-15 mph and up she comes,,,,,Im a big guy and it is no issue with my 03 650. (cover the rear brake during manuver) get it high enough and shift to second. its an easy wheelie machine.. good luck. Save your clutch.

The key is not to pull with your arms neccessarily, lean back and straighten them out, let the bike do the work, you just balance it with the throttle....

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
the best is doing second gear wheelies i pulled one on the block behind my appartment when no one was around clutched it up at about 25 mph and bam right back into the balance point it felt like heavan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
on 1st gear, i can get it up ok by clutching. i cannot seem to just crack the throttle and make it come up. (i'm assuming cracking means to just opening up all of a sudden after going about 10-15 mph. ) i hold the clutch in right past the zone and drop it after it revs to about 9. however, when it comes up, it just goes right back down cuz i guess it happens to fast for me to accelerate and keep it up. it decelerates right after it comes up.... maybe hand positioning so when the bike comes up the throttle rolls closed.

2nd gear, i cant get for the life of me. i do it the same way. go about 20-25mph.... hold clutch in right past the friction zone, rev to about 9-10 and drop... but nothing. it just jerks and goes really fast. but no lift whatsoever.
my clutch mechanism is really shady. its abnormally stiff and gives me a handcramp after riding too long. i'm not just a wuss cuz my friends gsxr's clutch feels 1000% different than mine. don't wanna pay to fix it up, but could my clutch being crappy be a reason this isn't working?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Morpheous said:
The SV will do a roll on wheelie in 1st gear no problem,,,,,just scoot back on the seat crack the throttle from like 10-15 mph and up she comes,,,,,Im a big guy and it is no issue with my 03 650. (cover the rear brake during manuver) get it high enough and shift to second. its an easy wheelie machine.. good luck. Save your clutch.

The key is not to pull with your arms neccessarily, lean back and straighten them out, let the bike do the work, you just balance it with the throttle....
I like this method or a second gear blip (kinda). Start, shift from first to second, build power to the top of the torque curve, off the throttle all the way and back on full throttle. If done at the correct time in the torque curve and smoother enough and fast enough- it will come up. Do not pull and make sure you are in a regular riding position. Scooting forward or leaning down will make it more difficult. On the SV this will only work when accelerating moderately strong from stop > first > second > blip > up. Don't know why you can't downshift to second and then blip > up; it just doesn't seem to work. Someone more scientific will need to explain.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am having a hard time shifting into 2nd so my wheelies are very short. Any tips on shifting while the bike is in the air??

·
Registered
564 Posts
StinkWhistle said:
Don't know why you can't downshift to second and then blip > up; it just doesn't seem to work.  Someone more scientific will need to explain.
I belive it has something to do with your rear suspension compressing on the hard acceleration. <--this coming from some one who cant figure how to do one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was having issues with shifting to 2nd gear as well but giving her a little whack to bring the front to the balance point (maybe a littler higher) then shift to second but shift hard so you don?t hit neutral which will kill your bike and the family jewels. I?m still having issues keeping the bike at the balance point due to the jerky throttle response (even after the TPS adjustment). I?m still new to the bike and I expect I will get used to the throttle response and be able to control the wheelie indefinitely.

Sum up steps I use:
1. first gear 10-15mph,
2. ¼ blip of throttle
3. full off throttle immediately to full throttle
4. bike at balance point
5. small blip with immediate shift to second
6. ride her out or shift to third.

·
Registered
51 Posts
DON"T WHEELIE YOUR SV!!!! Read my post "OH NO Spun Rod Bearing" All af that was because of wheelies. Don't do short power wheelies, with the wheel more then three feet afloat. The pickup is actually in the front of the motor, so the oil pump gets absolutly no pick up in the vertical position. However, as bad as they are for the bike, they are still a blast. I used to wheelie my sv everywhere, and i mean everywhere. The balance point is much higher then you think, much higher then a actual sport bike. I would do wheelies at night and my headlights point straight up, literally. The best method i have found, start from a stop, accelerate quickly, but not full throttle. When your digi reads 25-30, (i have found 28 is the best), Quickly snap the clutch. Quickly in, quickly out, bike immediatly stands up, comes up fast however so be careful. Remember that the faster your moving the better balance you have.

·
Registered
606 Posts
No problem doing long wheelies. Just clutch it up and hold the balance point for as long as you want. Later when the motor starts to make knocking noises, just call us and we'll dispose of the remains for you. Have a nice day ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay no wheelies on the SV :'( Is there a way to relocate the oil pick up? One of two things is going to happen. 1. I spin a bearing too, 2. I spin a bearing too. I cant see myself not doing them. I guess if the oil pickup is located at the front I guess I will have to learn to do stoppies :-X there has to be a better way!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts