Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my wheel bearings out and I have learned that I will never again replace my own bearings (excepts maybe the steering bearings since they are beyond shot and I imagine it'll be easier than the rims). Heating with a blow torch worked wonders. My question is when I go to place the new ones in is it better to freeze em or torch the rim again? Gonna grease em up either way but I have a feeling that doing both torch and freeze will lead to some very cracked bearing races (or worse rims). Just curious which I'll have an easier time with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always put the bearings in the freezer for a day and a propane torch on the wheel. Removing the race on the steering head bearings can be a challenge.
I bought a three pronged bearing puller that was just barely too big for the inner race of the wheel bearings. Should work beautifully for the steering head outter though. So freezing the bearing and torching the rim doesn't crack the new bearings outter race? Thought for sure the huge difference in temp would harm it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Freeze the bearing (at least a day), light, light coat of oil on the outer race. If it's super stubborn, heat the wheel.

What are you using to install the bearing? Press or hammer + seal/bearing driver?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried using a G clamp on the socket to force the bearings in? Used to do that on my ktm enduro
If I had one big enough I definitely would go for that, saves having to be careful not to go to far and push the inner race of the opposite bearing with the spacer. I got em in though, froze em for a day, greased the outter race, torched the wheel and they were in in 3-4 taps each. FAR fucking easier than it was to remove the old ones...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.