Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have just installed the dual headlights from Busters and I now have a mess of wires and connectors that were housed in the back of the factory light. What can I do to weather proof the connectors??? I can zip tie the wires out of the way so you can't see them but I am afraid they will get soaked and short out in the rain. Any advice???????

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was thinking of just wrapping the connectors in electrical tape and then putting something like a bike inner tube over everything and zip tieing the ends. I would like it to look good even though you don't really see it though and I am pretty sure that will look like sh#$!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would say the best thing is to tuck them in somewhere the best you can. You shouldn't have any bare connections, but you probably have a few connectors hanging out. I would goop it all up with some di-electric grease. I have the Busters lights and have had no electric problems for the past year + that they've been installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I usually just try and use "weatherpack" style connectors from Waytek. May not be an option since it's already wired, but for future projects it will handle just about anything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
you can buy liquid electrical tape. it looks and applies like rubber cement but dries to a black or white hard rubber material. i use it for electrical connections after soldering them, should keep out the water too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool! Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any bare connections just connectors. I think what I am going to do is put a piece of heat shrink tubing over them (extra long) and then electrical tape the ends of that. Also Maybe I will use that dieletrical grease. I have never heard of that before can you get it at an automotives store??? Also what about getting BIG shrink wrap for the connector for the insruments. Thanks for the help I love the lights they look and work better (IMO). I can't say thanks enough to everybody on this board I have never worked on my bikes myself and already (i have only had my sv for about 10days) I have done tons of work on it. New bars, signals, fender eliminator, lights, oil change. Thanks for the help!!

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Try self fusing silicone tape, you can get it at RadioShack.

It looks a lot like electrical tape but when you wrap it around itself, it fuses together. Di-electric grease inside the connector is a good idea too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great I will go get some of that tape tommorow. Where can I find this Di-electircal grease???

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
B.C. said:
Great I will go get some of that tape tommorow. Where can I find this Di-electircal grease???
I don't know if RS sells it but I know Pep Boys does. It's usually in with the trailer hitch wiring stuff... it's commonly used for the trailer -> car wiring plug...

T

·
0 Posts
The stock connectors are weatherproof & it might be nice to have all the same type. They are AMP (Tyco) Econoseal J series or III series. Need to find a distribitor - I haven't had any luck yet. If you do let me know.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can get AMP connectors at work, but unfortunately they are all Sea-Doo part #'s. We get them directly from SD. I'll have to ask the Wurth guy next time he is in if he can get them.

T

·
0 Posts
athflying79 said:
I can get AMP connectors at work, but unfortunately they are all Sea-Doo part #'s. We get them directly from SD. I'll have to ask the Wurth guy next time he is in if he can get them.
If you are successful, and you don't mind, would you run a new topic about electrical connectors?
If they are J series, I have a catalog with the AMP part numbers; we can use that. If it's type III I can't be much help.
I've tried Tyco's website / on-line part search and it is a real pain-in-the-ass.

EDIT: Clarification - I have the catalogue for J series connectors Mark II+ . There are Mark III out now, but I don' t have pictures of them. The Mark II LOOKS like what I have in the '03 SV650.

Also looks like special tools are needed to assemble these things (grrrrr).
For reference, here's some Mk II part numbers needed to assemble a 3 position connector

Cap Housing 174359-2
Cap Lock Plate 1-174360-1
Tab contact 171661-1 (AWG 20-16)

Plug Housing 174357-2
Plug Lock Plate 1-174358-1
Receptacle contact 171662-1 (AWG 20-16)

Rubber Collars 172888-2 (AWG 20-16)
Cavity Plug 172748-1

·
Registered
197 Posts
PM me as a reminder and I'll take some pics of some. I honestly have no clue what series they are. I'll take a look and see if they have a part # or description on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts