Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
The Germans are coming in from Hamburg today (my wife's father and sister). So I will be tied up the then next three weeks. Ugh! Why do Germans take such long vacations?

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Nothing at the moment. Yard is too waterlogged to get the bike out of the storage building.
Got several things in the works though. CBR 600 Tokiko calipers and an R6 Brembo master. Raising links to get the rear up enough to put the fork tubes back to level with the top clamp and gain a bit more ground clearance over the stock height rear and 10mm dropped front.
Needs to stop raining and dry out though..😐

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nothing at the moment. Yard is too waterlogged to get the bike out of the storage building.
Got several things in the works though. CBR 600 Tokiko calipers and an R6 Brembo master. Raising links to get the rear up enough to put the fork tubes back to level with the top clamp and gain a bit more ground clearance over the stock height rear and 10mm dropped front.
Needs to stop raining and dry out though..😐
Mo, what are the measurements of those raising links, center to center? Also, what quick shifter are you using?
Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Further ruining the once pretty aesthetics of my gen1. Bought a set of used rattlecan black wheels so I'd have a spare. Put in new wheel bearings and a new set of Bridgestone S22s to replace the Metzeler M7RRs that were on it.

I checked, and a 45 tooth sprocket will fit just fine on this chain, but I'm going to stick with the 44 for now.

It definitely looked better with silver wheels. And the cheap Arashi rear sprocket.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
661 Posts
They're 14cm center to center. Stock looking to be somewhere around 147-148mm.
And I'm using a Dynojet QS that works through the PC5..
I've been thinking of doing the same, getting the rear in up. With my K tech shock set on the highest level, bike is leaned over quite a bit while on the side stand. I wonder if another 7mm will be too much. Thinking of maybe adding material to the bottom of my side stand to compensate.

And back to the OP. Helping a friend this afternoon put together and set up his new YT Decoy 29 core 2.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the same, getting the rear in up. With my K tech shock set on the highest level, bike is leaned over quite a bit while on the side stand. I wonder if another 7mm will be too much. Thinking of maybe adding material to the bottom of my side stand to compensate.
I may have to watch out for that with mine. If I have to I'll see what's laying around the band saw at the shop. Cut one side out of a piece of square tubing and weld the needed amount of the "C" that's left on the bottom of the stand foot.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Regarding a longer kickstand, just throwing out some numbers here... could help someone, I dunno

My Penske shock length is 338 mm (8 mm longer than stock)
I lengthened my kickstand by about 4 cm. Seems to me to be very good now - not too leaned over, plenty stable and not tippy.

1st try (mistake): I cut through just below the "L" bracket, and welded in a section (about 4 cm.) of steel tube. Oops. Angle of footpad was completely wrong.
2nd try: Stuck a thick section of all-thread inside the tubing, then glued inside with JB Weld (making sure to keep the welding surfaces clean).
Set the bike on the kickstand, adjusted the angle of the pad to correctly sit on the ground, then marked or taped the position.
Removed kickstand and allowed the glue to set. Welded, ground, painted, et voilá. Perfect. Stock look but stealth.

I love having the lengthened kickstand, it's definitely worth the trouble.

·
very big dumb
9,191 Posts
Further ruining the once pretty aesthetics of my gen1. Bought a set of used rattlecan black wheels so I'd have a spare. Put in new wheel bearings and a new set of Bridgestone S22s to replace the Metzeler M7RRs that were on it.

I checked, and a 45 tooth sprocket will fit just fine on this chain, but I'm going to stick with the 44 for now.

It definitely looked better with silver wheels. And the cheap Arashi rear sprocket.

View attachment 61243
View attachment 61244
still no hugger? :(

·
very big dumb
9,191 Posts
im trying to dig out my shop. my parents decided to sell their crib which means my shop is flooded with my dad's table saws, tile saws, miter saws, nail guns, and other assorted home improvement bullshit. rip any floor space i didnt really have to begin with

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,033 Posts
It was a weekend of tinkering for me actually, although not my own projects. Started helping my neighbor get a new ultralight one-piece driveshaft into his CTS-V. I've been out of the fast car game for a while now, but I'm very familiar with GMs LS-series of engines. I spent some time drifting my Dad's old first-year for the LS1 Z-28 back in the day (6-speed of course :p ). The LS has come a long way since; this Caddilac is putting somewhere in the neighborhood of 800hp down (at the flywheel I would assume). It's a beast. It sounds like my neighbor ran into exhaust bracket and driveshaft clearance issues though, so I think me and my angle grinder will be down there this evening after work. Once that is done, we need to rebuild the front caliper on his Hayabusa... it's sticking and hanging up on the rotor, and he only has one front caliper because the previous owner drag-raced it and figured the weight loss on the front was worth the decreased braking. I have to wonder what the difference in ET was between two calipers and one?

Supercharged Caddilacs and Hayabusas... ah to be young again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
still no hugger? :(
I was putzing around with it a bit yesterday actually, but I'm still not certain how to mount it. I will get it eventually, I promise. I just need to work out the spacer situation.

im trying to dig out my shop. my parents decided to sell their crib which means my shop is flooded with my dad's table saws, tile saws, miter saws, nail guns, and other assorted home improvement bullshit. rip any floor space i didnt really have to begin with
After your long haul in the Dodge van, your shop already looked like it was packed to the gills. I'm guessing you have to swing around on monkey bars to traverse parts of it at this point!

Looking sharp Matt.
Gracias Geo. The gsxr fairings make it kind of hilariously wide from the front. But they held up alright on track, so that was good.

·
very big dumb
9,191 Posts
After your long haul in the Dodge van, your shop already looked like it was packed to the gills. I'm guessing you have to swing around on monkey bars to traverse parts of it at this point!
actually you'd be surprised. this weekend, before all my dad's stuff invaded, we had almost zero clutter (every bike i had to disassemble is apart, most of the parts are cleaned and racked). the only major things outstanding in the regular work queue is cleaning a bunch of motor parts from a half dozen motors that came apart and listing them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Never seem to get round to my stuff so today after and putting up another 14 ft long book shelf in our spare room (that makes 11) for my wife.
I went out to the local dirt bike shop to look at the Sunday motors flat trackers.
I was half thinking of getting one to improve my skills and not risk my road bike, but I don't know where I could use it, so just got a flyer.
I'm 60 and the practice track time is organised buy age groups because it's aimed at kids.
Once home put my sv650 lithium battery charge and remove my volt meter and wiring and lowered the bars 1".
Both these changes are to make clearance for the 1/2 fairing I am currently mounting but the weathers too sh*t to do much else.

·
Registered
405 Posts
They're 14cm center to center. Stock looking to be somewhere around 147-148mm.
And I'm using a Dynojet QS that works through the PC5..
Hey bud, not meaning to pour any cold water on your plans but you'll possibly find a 7-8mm difference in length is too much. I went down this road a few years ago with my Gen 2 race bike which had dog bones of length 144mm. I fitted some Ducati ones which were 140mm so only 4mmm diff and it jacked up the rear by 13mm and increased my swing arm angle to 14 degrees. All it wanted to do was tuck the front end under, esp on slow, tight corners but to be fair I didnt raise my front end as you intend to. Will be curious to hear how it pans out for you.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Hey bud, not meaning to pour any cold water on your plans but you'll possibly find a 7-8mm difference in length is too much. I went down this road a few years ago with my Gen 2 race bike which had dog bones of length 144mm. I fitted some Ducati ones which were 140mm so only 4mmm diff and it jacked up the rear by 13mm and increased my swing arm angle to 14 degrees. All it wanted to do was tuck the front end under, esp on slow, tight corners but to be fair I didnt raise my front end as you intend to. Will be curious to hear how it pans out for you.
I will definitely approach with some caution. I have the fork legs up 10mm in the clamps now with the rear at stock height and it's working good. Was going to put them back to the OEM level with the top of the clamp when I added the raising links. Might end up being a ride or two and "nope". I may be somewhat down a rabbit hole trying to get the SV to turn like a 600 or my Ducati. But, if all else, I can go back to the setup I have now, and raise the pegs a hole on the rearsets for track days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts