Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

A good friend of mine is deploying to Afghanistan in about a month, and she's offered to sell me her 2006 SV650S with 7500 miles for $3,000 (Told you she was a good friend!). Anyway, she hasn't modded anything, but she bought it with 3K on it and the previous owner had; and she doesn't know all of the details. I'm trying to piece together everything that's been done to this bike; I can tell what most of it is, but I could use your trained eyes to pick out more subtle mods! Here she is:

I know it has a lowered seat (1" lower), and Heli bars. Aftermarket blinkers and an aftermarket rear hugger fender too.

So, to start, it has a Yoshi pipe; I believe it's the full 'slip on', please just give me an idiot check here:

I also know that the Yoshi pipe comes with a removable baffle, to reduce noise levels a bit. Is this what it looks like installed?

I'm guessing the suspension is all stock; but is there any good way to tell? Here's some pics:

Then here's some random close-ups:

Heli Bars!

I failed to get a good picture of it; but there is also 2 wires attached to the positive battery terminal. One looks aftermarket; it's got a lead on the positive terminal then it immediately has an in-line fuse. Is this standard, or did they wire something in? A Powercommander perhaps? :D I can't remember the brand, but the fuse housing did have a name on it (not Suzuki).

Also, anything else you can recommend I look for? Bike seems to be in great shape; the frame sliders are cheap and crappy, those definitely need to go. And the chain needs to be greased and tightened (it's been sitting for almost 2 years, she deployed last year as well).

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get this SV :)

-Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
The wiring to the battery with an in-line fuse could be a hookup for a battery tender. I'm not sure if any additional connection is made to the battery for a PC. If you look closely between the tail and the subframe in this pic you can see the hookup for the tender: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2408/imag0206lf.jpg

The yosh is just a slip-on. Looks like OEM suspension. I'm no expert but you'll probably want to forget about lubing and adjusting that chain and just replace it, to me it looks pretty rusted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like the bike is in pretty good shape. I wouldnt say that $3000 is a great deal, I got my 06 SVS for 3500 with 3300 miles and similar mods. You're correct about the yoshi pipe, it is the slip on and not the full exhaust. Suspension also looks stock.

About the extra lead on the + terminal, check the storage area under the seat. This is where most people put the Power Commander if there is one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
First thing is that chain needs some serious r&r.. Needta load that baby up with kerosene and a medium bristled brush to get all the gunk and surface rust off it and keep it lubed to prevent further grunge buildup..

And yes that is the stock shock and forks. No mods done unless internals to forks which I would be surprised if they were..

Finally, yes the Yosh is just a slip on. Not a bad thing by any means.

Mileage and condition, I would say $3k is a good buy..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thing is that chain needs some serious r&r.. Needta load that baby up with kerosene and a medium bristled brush to get all the gunk and surface rust off it and keep it lubed to prevent further grunge buildup..

And yes that is the stock shock and forks. No mods done unless internals to forks which I would be surprised if they were..

Finally, yes the Yosh is just a slip on. Not a bad thing by any means.

Mileage and condition, I would say $3k is a good buy..
I was hoping it was a slip-on; I know just the can doesn't provide as much of a bump in power.

As for the chain, I put cleaner on it and ran it up and down the street gently, then let it sit over night, then greased it up. Looks much better now.

Thanks everyone! I was hoping for a PCIII to be hiding in there somewhere but I don't think it is; and yes, there is a connection for a battery tender. I should be buying it the middle of this month (my friend is away for special forces training), I'll have a new thread on how that goes!

-Mike

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It's nice to see a prospective bike that is actually in good condition (sans the chain) and is going for a respectable price :)

I hope you're able to negotiate a deal that includes that boss keychain.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I think you are confused about the exhaust. the way you talk about it you seem to say slip on when others would say "full exhaust system." You have a slipon, which is just the can, not the headers. A full system, with the headers, is where you get the HP increase.

Also, you have heli-bars. No idea on the cost, but I don't think they are cheap. They raise the height of the controls higher than the stock clipons.

As others have said, that chain is a piece of junk by now. Replace it immediately and remember that an owner who would let a chain go that badly probably wouldn't be the most anal about oil changes, flushing/replacing other fluids, etc on schedule. The oil is the only one that would worry me a little with the mileage on the bike, but if you get a satisfactory answer that it has been changed on time (since it is a friend's bike) then it's a pretty good price.

·
Registered
147 Posts
As with what a few people have said, slip on exhaust, looks like stock suspension Front/rear, and the chain looks like it could snap under hard usage.. but for 3 grand, that a steal.. i got my 03 for 3 grand, but it was copper with a lot of mods on it, and a good amount of miles

·
Registered
85 Posts
i agree with DylTayVB, dont sound like the best deal to me .
me paid $3700 for 07sv650 N , with 6k miles.
the rear shock is so skinny it must be OEM , how i know ?
that is the only mod i got done my sv.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
The color is wrong for a 2006. It's a 2005 or a 2007. My guess would be 2005.

And I say that because it looks like the manufacturers plate says it was built in 10/04.

I also agree that the chain is toast. And since the tires are seven years old, I would replace those too. And the rest of the fluids.

I like it. Nice bike. It's in good shape. :)

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
+1 on the chain as an indicator. You would be wise to change:
oil
oil filter
air filter
coolant
brake fluid
battery

As for the chain itself? I'd spray some WD-40 on it, wipe it off, and riderideride!
Because After you've ridden it 15-20 times you may decide you need different gearing, higher or lower.
Then you get different sprockets with a chain of the correct length, and you're good for 10-15k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I would also change the frame sliders. Those don't look like they are going to do much for you. Put a set of motosliders on it.

And I agree with Verbal, its not an 06. Unless all the body work was changed. Thats not the 06 blue.

Looks like a good bike. Enjoy

·
Registered
352 Posts
Other mods = swingarm stand spools and tail tidy.

Does your friend have the swingarm stand to go with the spools?

Also, that oil filter looks suspiciously like the OEM filter. Maybe the oil was always changed using the same exact filter, but I'd wager it's never been changed or changed only once (mostly based on the condition of that chain).

·
Registered
569 Posts
That Yosh can does have the silencer in place. It comes off with those two bolts in case you want to experiment. Even w/o the silencer it's not too loud.
In addition to changing all fluids, I'd inspect/replace brake pads and give those disks some TLC.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts