Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i need the help of all you SV mechanic gurus.

i recently had a lowspeed accident that ripped the front fairing of my 05 SV650s apart and scuffed the right fork and swingarm. they're still good, mechanically speaking, but i was thinkin this would be the perfect time to uprade the suspension. i looked thru that gigantic sticky about fork swaps but cant make heads or tails of it since i have no experience with motorcycle suspension plus theres so many ppl sayin so many different things that its confusing to figure out what works and what doesnt. im assuming from what i read that a k5 gsxr 600 frontend will bolt right up to my k5 SV but ill lose my speedometer? will the connections for the throttle and clutch also bolt right up? whats the years of gsxr frontends that will fit on k3-k6 sv? i guess all k5 gsxr 600/750/1000 frontends will bolt onto a k5 SV? will i be able to use my top triple clamp and ignition/starter or will i also have to get that? god i wish i knew what would work. seems like a huge mess between parts that will and will not work. :-\

i also saw that other thread about possibly changin out the swingarm, i was readin into it and from what i got is that the k5 gsxr 600 swingarm will bolt right up except that the exhaust would be in the way somehow... should i buy a gsxr 600 swingarm and shock?

what would u guys do? should i make the bike back to stock or try and upgrade a bit? street fighter it or go back to fairings? i like both looks, just kinda confused on what i should do and need a lil insight.

id love to upgrade the front forks and swingarm/shock, but i lack the knowhow... but im willing to figure this whole mess out. i cant think of everything i need to ask right now, ill reply back when i run into those questions. i know ill have more questions. ;D

·
Registered
397 Posts
See my signature. I used a 98 SRAD front end, controls and brakes with a 91 1100 rim (to keep the stock speedo drive). Everything bolted together without trouble, I only needed to have a custom axle machined to fit the different forks/rim/speedo drive.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
personally from what i've read/been told. the showas of the (not sure about years) 2002-2003 gsx-r 750's are the best as far as quality goes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
B.a. said:
personally from what i've read/been told.  the showas of the (not sure about years) 2002-2003 gsx-r 750's are the best as far as quality goes.
Yeah, if you can find newer forks and brakes go for it. But I had a deal come up on a complete suspension off and brakes a 98 for less than 200$, so I couldn't resist :) SRAD triples bolt onto the stock steering head bearings; I'm not sure if that is true about the newer setups.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i saw an item on ebay that had forks, lower triple clamp, clipons, controls, calipers, master fuild reservoir, fender, and axle for about 300-400 dollars. its off of a 05 gsxr 600. wonderin if this would work on my bike or not, im pretty sure it will. if it does i think i might bid on it that way all id need is front rim and rotors. my only concearn is if my top triple clamp off my SV work on the gsxr forks...

thx for your guys responses. i think if the check from the insurance company is big enough ill rebuild the front fairing again rather than cuttin cost and going street fighter.

also should i pickup that 05 gsxr 600 swingarm and shock? think itd be worth it? thx again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scratch that gsxr 600 stuff... gunna try to piece together a 00-03 gsxr 750 front end. so far i found a lot of what i need on ebay. figured out i will need the top triple clamp. can i use my clipons and controls? or will i need to get 00-03 gsxr 750 clipons and controls? im thinkin that i will have to. ok well, thx for your guys input.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
the showas are the best frontends, 00-03 750 and 04-05 600 and 750's, the 1000's use the kyb, not as good,

even the srad 750's are

you need GSXR forks/triples/clipon's/calipers, wheel and rotor, use stock sv controls and can use the stock mastercylinder

speedo solution http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=41064.0

swingarm, the gsxr is differant and needs modifications

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome thx jimdaddy. 

just picked-up a set of 00-03 750 gsxr forks!!! with top/lower triple clamp, and axle for $296 including shipping.  i was figuring id have to use my stock controls on the750 clipons... just wasnt sure that my controls would fit on em.  now im huntin for the rest of the parts.  oh ill also need hardware, guess ill pick that up at oneida or ronmeyers. 

i could get aftermarket woodcraft clipons from the sv race shop, they seem to be less expensive than buying stock.  oneida wanted $98 for just one clipon!  :eek:

sent jimsv an email about his kit.  see what hes got available.

oh i got another question, will a k4 gsxr 1000 rim work with the 00-03 gsxr 750 axle/forks?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
P-Low said:
awesome thx jimdaddy. 

just picked-up a set of 00-03 750 gsxr forks!!! with top/lower triple clamp, and axle for $296 including shipping.  i was figuring id have to use my stock controls on the750 clipons... just wasnt sure that my controls would fit on em.  now im huntin for the rest of the parts.  oh ill also need hardware, guess ill pick that up at oneida or ronmeyers. 

i could get aftermarket woodcraft clipons from the sv race shop, they seem to be less expensive than buying stock.  oneida wanted $98 for just one clipon!  :eek:

sent jimsv an email about his kit.  see what hes got available.

oh i got another question, will a k4 gsxr 1000 rim work with the 00-03 gsxr 750 axle/forks?
should, you need rotors from a 00-03 gsxr tho, i might have some calipers for that front end as well, PM me if interested

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya i know ill need the 750 rotors cause the 1000 rotors are bigger.  so your sayin the k4 gsxr 1000 rim will work tho? 

im already trying to get some calipers/master cylinder/lines off ebay.  if it falls thro ill send a pm.

thx again jimdaddy

was just doin some more research and found out that the k4 rim will work. :)

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
P-Low said:
ya i know ill need the 750 rotors cause the 1000 rotors are bigger.  so your sayin the k4 gsxr 1000 rim will work tho? 

im already trying to get some calipers/master cylinder/lines off ebay.  if it falls thro ill send a pm.

thx again jimdaddy

was just doin some more research and found out that the k4 rim will work.  :)
you can also use sv master/lines with the gsxr calipers, it's up to you

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
As far as the discs go, any GSXR from 1997 (and some from 96), as long as it doesn't have radials, will fit. They all use the same 32mm discs. You can get a wee bit of variety in the disc carriers so you can choose the colour you want ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thx north.  ya i was lookin at the gold and black rotors  :)  thinkin ill get the black ones since gold wouldnt match anything

what did you mean by radials?

hey i was researchin rims again, and i read that someone said that early hayabusa rims will work on the 00-03 gsxr 750 forks.  is this true?  and if so what years?

another question lol... what size clipons fit the 00-03 gsxr forks? 50mm?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Oh yeah, that's right, sorry- all Busa ones will be fine as will all TL1000S and R ones! By radials I meant the newer forks with radial brakes, like this year's GSXR 1000. They have (I think) the same disc fitment but 300mm instead of 320, no good for you.

Clipons are, I'm pretty sure, 50mm but don't quote me. You can find out on the Harris website. Lots to choose from- I used stock GSXR K2 originally but the setup worked out too low for the throttle cables to clear my fairing right (00 throttle cables go out the bottom of the controls) and it fouled my heated grip cables. So I replaced them with TL1000S, which are much higher but more slanted. I'm not sure about the slant, it doesn't bother me but lots of people see it and say it must be uncomfortable.

Some years of Fireblade fit too, think it's every set after they went past 900cc, but they're not a great fit- they're higher and flatter, but shorter and don't have the master cylinder reservoir mount. I rode with them for a while and marginally preferred them to the TL ones but they looked all wrong and there was a bit o bodging involved.

I don't know about your model, but for me almost no aftermarkets would be any use- all too low, they'd physically not fit with the fairing. The only ones that would work would be the ones designed to raise the bars.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok thx north, this is great info!

ya i noticed that there wasnt anyplace to mount the master cylinder at on the aftermarket clipons, but woodcraft does sell a reservoir mount seperate. ill try and get my hands on some gsxr 750 clipons. ya i went to the woodcraft fitment chart to figure out what would work. http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/clipon-chart.htm

cool, so i can get a busa front rim and be good. saw one cheap on ebay, ill see if i can get that.

so radial is the way the caliper is mounted to the fork? like the newer gsxr calipers arnt bolted to the side of the fork like most bikes, they're different... guess thats what you mean.

thx again! you guys have been really helpful. :)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
P-Low said:
cool, so i can get a busa front rim and be good.  saw one cheap on ebay, ill see if i can get that. 
NOOOO! The discs are the same, the wheels aren't the same as the more recent ones- and really that's what you want. For a carbed bike, the SRAD yokes and wheel are a perfect fit and match but not the same for an injected one. You want a wheel from a post SRAD model to match the yokes you ought to be getting (also post-SRAD model, more or less 2000 on)

Be careful with the clipons, like I say if you want to keep the standard fairing you might be getting yourself clearance issues.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i havent gotten a rim yet, just lookin at em. ;D

the rim in question is off a 01 busa. isnt that post SRAD? shouldn't it work with my 00-03 forks/axle? its ok if it doesnt, i was also lookin at a 04 gsxr 1000 rim... think id rather get that one anyways.

my bikes a 05, so its injected. i already got the triple clamps (yokes) when i bought the forks, they should bolt straight up to my bike. so im good on that end. just lookin for a suitable rim to fit on the axle now.

im also bidding on some 98 gsxr 750 clipons. they should fit the forks. wont know about clearance issues until i get a new fairing.

thx again

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
P-Low said:
ok i havent gotten a rim yet, just lookin at em.    ;D

the rim in question is off a 01 busa.  isnt that post SRAD? shouldn't it work with my 00-03 forks/axle?  its ok if it doesnt, i was also lookin at a 04 gsxr 1000 rim... think id rather get that one anyways.

my bikes a 05, so its injected.  i already got the triple clamps (yokes) when i bought the forks, they should bolt straight up to my bike. so im good on that end.  just lookin for a suitable rim to fit on the axle now.

im also bidding on some 98 gsxr 750 clipons.  they should fit the forks.  wont know about clearance issues until i get a new fairing. 

thx again
the rim you are looking for is a 01 and up 600 or 00 and up 750 or 1000, i think the busa is like the srad rim and the tl1000 and won't work

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Nah, Busa wheels are still the same as the old SRAD wheels for some reason (Suzuki sucks at stock reduction...)

Just to recap a bit, what you want is any GSXR1000 wheel (supposedly K5 and onwards is lighter, but sould still fit, can't vouch for either part of this), any GSXR750 wheel from Y onwards (2000 onwards) and any GSXR600 wheel from K1 onwards (2001), plus any SV1000 wheel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.