Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Quebec, the price of plates have been rising, rising and rising for the past years and is still going to rise next year. Also, from November 15th to march 15th, you have to use winter tire, and there is no tire approved as winter tires for motorcycles. We pay plates for 12 months but can only use our motorcycle 8months. What do you guys think is the best way to protest against it? We have '' La journée du loup'' it's a big bike meet-up, blocking traffic : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ4qvGGs_vA

Some people suggested flooding their mail, someone suggested to block the customs to make the government loose a shitload of money ( we realised that its not a good idea since that will also penalise small companys that have nothing to do in this)

Anyways, I tought I would ask here if you have any good ideas.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Sounds like your government is descriminating heavily against motorcyclists with money farming laws and requirements...I assume they issue tickets for not using tires that do not exists also?... Time to protest or revolt if you ask me.

·
Registered
706 Posts
you could have a revolution ... oh wait they took your guns away

·
Registered
469 Posts
None of that will work. Motorcyclists are too small of a minority. The only way would be to protest it by bringing up new legislation ideas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like your government is descriminating heavily against motorcyclists with money farming laws and requirements...I assume they issue tickets for not using tires that do not exists also?... Time to protest or revolt if you ask me.
Yup, 300$ fine + they tow your motorcycle...

We have a fiew lawyer tryinng to help our cause, we'll see if they can help us out :S

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
We have a fiew lawyer tryinng to help our cause, we'll see if they can help us out :S
You need a friend in the Parliament/Legislature/whatever the heck you have up there. Finding a lawmaker that rides would be ideal but any sympathetic ear helps. Letter writing campaigns focused on specific people help. They have someone read each letter and summarize them for them, if they get letters in serious numbers you may get the chance to setup a meeting between the rep and their office to discuss specific concerns. Use spell check on your email before sending it or you will do more damage than good.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Why have a bike if you can only ride it 4 months out of the year.

·
Registered
835 Posts
What we can do here in Florida is get a credit on plates turned in.

So, if i know that i have a plate that is good/paid for 12 months And i decide to take the car off the road to rebuild the engine/brakes/suspension.... I will turn the plate in until I am ready to drive the car again. When I go to the tag agency I have a pro rated credit and do dot have to pay full price(this applies to motorcycles as well) I have done this numerous times as I use to build cars.

And here you can still insure a vehicle even without a plate.I have even had to register a car "off road" so I could get a registration for an apartment complex we lived in once because the lease stated all vehicles must be registered (not tagged). I hope this helps.

Let me ask you if you sell your bike before your tag is up and you turn your tag in, when you get another bike say four months down the road ( you just happened to buy your bike back from your friend) what happened to the other 4 months you payed for? Are you required to keep a tag on a vehicle you own even if you are restoring a 55 chevy that is going to take 5 years???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, then what's your problem??
Problem is we pay plates for 12months and we can only ride it 8 months... that's not normal. Even if before we did not really ride that much during winter, at least we could, if there was a nice day. Now we just CAN'T.

(month) (how much to pay) (repayment)
Mois................Perception........... Remboursement
avril et mai.......100%....................83.3%
juin.................83.3%....... ...........66.7%
juillet...............66.7%...... ............50%
août................50%.......... ...........33.3%
septembre........33%............. ........16.7%
octobre............16.7%................... 0%

This is the SAAQ table.

if we turn our plate in after september, we get 0% of what we paid back.

@08sv: I'm not sure I understand your question, If I turn in my plates, in august, they give me back 33.3% of the total cost of the plate. If the same day, I re-plate my bike, I have to pay 50% of the price. When we turn in plates we dont have credited months for what we had left on our plates, we get a part of the money we paid.

S

·
0 Posts
The Quebec gov't is so F|_|CKED up; they'll screw you 8 ways to Sunday every time. I got so fed up with all the bureaucratic red tape in Quebec that I finally left. I'd live in any other province before I go back there. Hell, I might even live in the US before I'd go back to QC. And don't get me started on Quebec's income taxes. Grrr. My advice, if you're going to ride in Quebec, join the Rock Machine, Bandidos, or Hells Angels.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Problem is we pay plates for 12months and we can only ride it 8 months... that's not normal.
Dood I pay for a trailer tag that I use once maybe twice a year. 50% of the moto rider in the US also only ride 8 or 9 months out of year but you don't hear them pitching a fit about having to have a plate for the full 12 months. Life sucks, life is unfair, sell your bike or deal with it.

All this because of 4 months where you can't ride your bike?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think his point is, for four months out of the year it is illegal for him to ride. Nothing to do with weather, the government expects him to buy a nonexistent part for his bike or it's illegal. Don't get me wrong, I bought a bike in Arizona for a reason. Never owned one in Colorado, or Boston because I didn't feel like owning a vehicle and then taking the T.

S

·
0 Posts
Your trailer tag probably costs $40/year, but I don't think he's mentioned that the Quebec gov't recently began charging over $1,000 a year to register what they refer to as a "performance bike" (and I believe they consider the SV to be in this class). Oh, and don't forget about insurance. In Canada, we get a$$-raped by insurance companies -- especially in Quebec. I'm sure he's paying at least $500 for minimum coverage (and that's if he's at least 25 years old and has a spotless record of at least 5 years riding experience).

Because of this nonsense, there's been a lot of really great deals on used sport bikes in Quebec.

Dood I pay for a trailer tag that I use once maybe twice a year. 50% of the moto rider in the US also only ride 8 or 9 months out of year but you don't hear them pitching a fit about having to have a plate for the full 12 months. Life sucks, life is unfair, sell your bike or deal with it.

S

·
0 Posts
This is a really good point. Sounds like a good case to take the gov't to court.

I think his point is, for four months out of the year it is illegal for him to ride. Nothing to do with weather, the government expects him to buy a nonexistent part for his bike or it's illegal. Don't get me wrong, I bought a bike in Arizona for a reason. Never owned one in Colorado, or Boston because I didn't feel like owning a vehicle and then taking the T.

·
Registered
835 Posts
(month) (how much to pay) (repayment)
Mois................Perception........... Remboursement
avril et mai.......100%....................83.3%
juin.................83.3%....... ...........66.7%
juillet...............66.7%...... ............50%
août................50%.......... ...........33.3%
septembre........33%............. ........16.7%
octobre............16.7%................... 0%

This is the SAAQ table.

if we turn our plate in after september, we get 0% of what we paid back.

@08sv: I'm not sure I understand your question, If I turn in my plates, in august, they give me back 33.3% of the total cost of the plate. If the same day, I re-plate my bike, I have to pay 50% of the price. When we turn in plates we dont have credited months for what we had left on our plates, we get a part of the money we paid.[/QUOTE]

You answered my question perfectly. So, unlike here you take a slight loss if you turn the tags in early when you go to reinstate the tags, so alls not lost.

As for the winter tire situation...

I would make/have made a steel brand and my tires would be branded stating snow use/tire/...canadian approved..whatever it was they needed to say on them.That is if you really need to ride during winter for the time being. Have you contacted A.B.A.T.E. to discuss this with them ? Try calling one of the northern U.S. ABATE representatives you may find some help through them or insight on how to effectively approach this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Dood I pay for a trailer tag that I use once maybe twice a year. 50% of the moto rider in the US also only ride 8 or 9 months out of year...

The point is if you or I wanted to we could use our bikes 12 months, 365 days. This poster is saying they are forced to pay for 12 months but it's only LEGAL to ride 8 months. Not even close to you using your trailer by choice a few times year, or many of storing our bikes over winter (again by choice) :rolleyes:. Plus their registration is ridiculous compared to ours here in the US.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts