Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going to flatter myself here, I'm not going to be in a fast group any time soon, not since I knackered my leg... But I've got a spare set of wqheels waiting for rubber, and I really don't want to go back to the track on Roadtecs- they're great tyres but not up to the straightline braking demands on track IMO.

My exact specs are that they have to be fine without tyre warmers, and be able to deal with some road use- I tend to ride to my local track so no generator/warmers available. 120/70 and 160/60... That's GSXR front end and around 80rwbhp. And I'd like more sticky than I can usually use effectively, to give me a bit of a safety net next time I screw up :)

Cheers folks

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd go with pilot powers. I have not heard one single bad thing about them. In fact I'm getting a set tomorrow! :p

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're definate contenders :) I'm also half thinking of going back to Sportecs, since they're cheaper and I know them. Cheers!

M

·
0 Posts
gonzo221 said:
I'd go with pilot powers. I have not heard one single bad thing about them. In fact I'm getting a set tomorrow! :p
I'll do the same soon. No bad comments about them. I'll just ride few more kilometers with my stock D220's before getting the Pilot Power.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah everyone loves them, and they say if you monitor pressure regularly you can easily get 5k miles out of them. I have seen them and touched them when warmed up and man are they soft on the sides. You can actually pinch them, sweet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would think you'd be fine with about any decent sport compound tire. Haven't tried the PP's yet, but I've been fine up to this point with Sportec's, Diablo's, ZR208's, ect....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Track days

I've done track days on 208's, BT-012SS, BT-010 and Pilot sports. I wouldnt hesitate to mount the new BT-014(although I havent tried them yet) or the Pilot Powers. I'm a Bridgestone fan but recently flogged a new set of 208's on a GSXR1000 for a week in the Smoky mountains and I really like them. They grip superb even cold. Dunlop has so much racing experience you can have tremendous confidence in there tires.

Craig
05 SV650S

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input folks. I'm sure Nick's right that I'd be fine with any halfway-sticky tyres but I figure if one is going to be better there's little siense in not going for it since price and availabity isn't goign to be a big issue.

Cheers!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Northwind said:
My exact specs are that they have to be fine without tyre warmers, and be able to deal with some road use- I tend to ride to my local track so no generator/warmers available.
pilot powers are outstanding tires, they are what I run. But I do more street riding that track riding, so I need a tire with good grip at street temperatures, acceptable wear, and still good track temps.

By the above statement, you want a track tire that can handle "some street use." To me, that implies track performance is more important that street to you. If that's the case, a DOT race compound tire would be better. In which case I would recommend either the power race or diablo corsas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 for the pilot powers. I love mine

·
Registered
830 Posts
pilot powers are my next purchase for the track.
but if your running at lower speeds on the track any tire will do.

i've done a bunch of track days on a bridgestone combo (BT020 rear and either a BT010 or 014 on the front)

the 020 is older technology now, but it handled pretty good on the track up to the intermediate level. it also lasts a long time on the street.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Northwind said:
I'd run a Sportec/Roadtec mix over the 010/020 I think, saves me a tyre :)
i ran a 014 front and rear on monday. it was awesome. as long as its a nice warm day, you'd have to go real fast to get past the grip of most sport tires.

don't know much about cold conditions or rain.

·
Registered
397 Posts
208's work rather well....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did a trackday, on bridgestone 010's they worked pretty well, only had them pull out from me once, but it was controlled and not a problem. My current 014's are alot better, I can't imagine how great those would be on the track. the 014's are cheap too.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers pilot powers 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts