·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind for the bike?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Stranded. Though, I guess it could depend on what your application is. Probably not.
To my knowledge, solid core is generally only used in houses.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
why would you want to use solid? i was always under the impression that its not nearly as flexible and that such as stranded which is why strandeds better for automotive purposes?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool you guys just 2nd what i thought thanx again.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Never use solid core wire in an environment that is subject to vibration.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Never use solid core wire in an environment that is subject to vibration.
and wires subject to flexing

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Home Depot and Lowes where I live both sell stranded wire, THHN / THWN oil and gas resistant. That's what you want to use. Not all stranded wire is created equal. It's available at electrical supply places also.

·
Registered
330 Posts
One of the biggest problems with solid wire is the joining to the connector at the end. The vibration will loosen it and that starts arcing and all kind of othe bad macumba. You would have to have the wire wrap around a stud with a washer the captured the wire to avoid this but stranded wire is definitely the better way to go. Solid wire is best left to things that travel as fast as your house.

Zak

·
Registered
53 Posts
Electricity can only travel on the surface of a conductor, not through the center. Stranded wire has much more surface area, so it also can handle more amperage than a similar size of solid wire. I've never understood why stranded wire isn't used in residential wiring.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
pokey said:
Electricity can only travel on the surface of a conductor, not through the center.  Stranded wire has much more surface area, so it also can handle more amperage than a similar size of solid wire.  I've never understood why stranded wire isn't used in residential wiring.
Not sure where you're getting your facts but this isn't true. The resistance/linear foot in ohms of stranded wire is (very slightly) higher than the resistance for solid wire of the same guage, even though they have the same copper cross-sectional area.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ridesideways said:
Not sure where you're getting your facts but this isn't true.  The resistance/linear foot in ohms of stranded wire is (very slightly) higher than the resistance for solid wire of the same guage, even though they have the same copper cross-sectional area.
I think I know what he was getting at... As the frequency of a signal increases, for a given copper medium, current flows only on the outer surface of a wire (known as skin effect to us comms guys)... as you use less available cross section of the wire, you increase the resistance and you get a higher attenuation of the signal.

For a given signal frequency (of which on the bike would be very very low), you're not going to see this effect. You're gonna want to use stranded for the reasons mentioned above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Solid wire is used in houses because it is less expensive for the same gauge wire. More strands = more flexibility = easier to use but the additional strands = additional machine time/ labor to manufacture and that = more more $$$.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Also, if that were the case, (power only on outside of wire) huge 100KV+ Lines would use hollow copper tubing instead of 1.5" thick copper wire, for example

·
Registered
745 Posts
Somebody is finally talking my language. I just got through testing some 3000 - 169 strand copper with 650 mils of insulation rated for 69kv. :eek:

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a Quality Assurance Tech at a wire and cable manufacturing company. ;)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
stranded for sure, need flexibility and vibration tolerance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
exactly right as far as houses go its all about cost. Plus you ever try to put stranded wire on a recpicale. one more good point always use barrel splices never wirenuts or tape it can cause things to come loose and arch and they burn your bike down

1 - 18 of 18 Posts