Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should i stick with o-ring chains or should i get an x-ring chain? and what brand do you guys recomend also what tools will i need for working on chains my self?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
B.a. said:
should i stick with o-ring chains or should i get an x-ring chain?  and what brand do you guys recomend also what tools will i need for working on chains my self?
don't waste money on anythng special, oem spec o-ring chain will outlast the sprockets

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
RandyO said:
don't waste money on anythng special, oem spec o-ring chain will outlast the sprockets
Some people choose to have different then OEM for performance factors... one of which is weight.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
the chain wears the sprocket, so a better chain won't wear the sprockets out as fast
dirt wears sprockets, whether on cheap chain or an expensive one. oem sprockets last the longest regardless of what chain you run, any o-ring chain will outlast the oem sprockets if kept clean.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
RandyO said:
dirt wears sprockets, whether on cheap chain or an expensive one. oem sprockets last the longest regardless of what chain you run,  any o-ring chain will outlast the oem sprockets if kept clean.
Im curious... so dirt is what makes sprocket teeth angular after X miles? I could have swore that there was more to it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nudist said:
Im curious... so dirt is what makes sprocket teeth angular after X miles? I could have swore that there was more to it.

My understanding is that as the chain stretches and the indivdual bearings wear out the link lenghth increases . It then wears out the teeth because of the increased slop.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Nope,  beg to disagree ...

I worked in a paper mill for more time than I care to admit and chains if enclosed and lubricated will last 5 years or more.
And that is a 24 - 7 operation.

On a motorcycle dirt gets embedded in the lube and acts as an abrasive chewing up the sprockets.

The chain is what is carrying the dirt, that is why one must clean their chain every Saturday morning  ;D (my habit)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
IN GENERAL:

Non O ring is cheaper and will last shorter than O ring

O ring is slightly cheaper and will last slightly shorter than X ring

Non high performance bang for buck: O ring religiously maintained

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
The advantage of X-ring vs O-ring is it has less friction.

It is easier to bend a X-ring chain around a sprocket, the O-ring is stiffer because it has more friction.

Longevity ... six on one hand and half a dozen on the other ... that is one pi$$ing contest I am going to avoid.   ;D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Currently said:
The advantage of X-ring vs O-ring is it has less friction.

It is easier to bend a X-ring chain around a sprocket, the O-ring is stiffer because it has more friction.

Longevity ... six on one hand and half a dozen on the other ... that is one pi$$ing contest I am going to avoid. ;D

Currently hit it on the head: Longevity has much more to do with chain maintenance than whether it is an O or X ring...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Currently said:
Nope,  beg to disagree ...

I worked in a paper mill for more time than I care to admit and chains if enclosed and lubricated will last 5 years or more.
And that is a 24 - 7 operation.

On a motorcycle dirt gets embedded in the lube and acts as an abrasive chewing up the sprockets.

The chain is what is carrying the dirt, that is why one must clean their chain every Saturday morning  ;D (my habit)
the chain on my XV920R has 48,000+ miles with no visible sign of wear, it is a completly enclosed non o-ring 630 chain, I have changed the grease once, but never have had to adjust the chain

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
RandyO-- Scottoiler on the XV920R as well?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
RandyO--  Scottoiler on the XV920R as well?
no, it's an enclosed chain the enclosure that surrounds the chain & sprockets is filled with grease. In owners manual, it specs to inspect tension every 8,000 miles adjust as necessary, Replace lubricant every 32,000 with 1 litre Shell EP-1 or equiv (3 tubes of red grease)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Fully enclosed? I misunderstood/didn't fully read your previous post. Jeebus, no wonder they last that long... Is there a way to possibly mod an enclosure for an SV?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
Fully enclosed?  I misunderstood/didn't fully read your previous post.  Jeebus, no wonder they last that long...  Is there a way to possibly mod an enclosure for an SV?
it's quite elaborate, I be the setup weighs as much as a shaft. it has and aluminum casing arounjd the sprockets, there is a plug onthe top of the rear for fill ing with lubricant, and 2 inspection ports one to voew the sprocket (one tooth at a time) the other for chain adjustment, kinda like checking oil the chain sag is kept between 2 lines the plastic tube that connect the front & rear cprocket housing are accordion to allow for swingarm travel

it looks FUGLY is the major reason the concept never caught on

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Wow, that does sound elaborate. Fugly is as fugly does, it sure sounds like it works.... I'll be browsing for some more info, that's an interesting concept. I had no ideer such a thing even existed...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.