Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm purchasing a bike here in a couple months, more than likely a brand new 04 if I can find one. Since this is my first bike I was wondering if people can throw me some pointers on what to look out for when I'm dealing with a salesman. Of course, if I can find a used 04 somewhere I'll get that instead, but for all intensive purposes how should I bargain it out or deal with the salesperson. I know to definately not settle for the price tag but around what area do you think I should settle around before tax and fees and stuff?

Anything is appreciative, thanks!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Stratches or mismatched fairings.
Rims, check them.
Bar ends.
If the mods where installed properly.
condition of fluids in the bike, has brake fluid ever been bleed, oil changes.
tires, big flat spot in the middle = burnouts.
missing chasis bolts.
Chain, slack and how clean it looks, ie has it ever been cleaned.
then, check out the rider, get out the squid guage.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Don't let them talk you into any kind of serving plan, they are overpriced and you can do a lot of the work yourself, even if you don't know how (as I didn't) it is not hard.
Also you can get gear much more affordably that at the dealer, so I wouldn't want that as part of the deal either.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Visit 2 or 3 dealers and let them know you are serious and that you are comparing prices before buying. When making the deal have them toss in a decent helmet and arrange financing at your bank if you need a loan.
to

·
Registered
71 Posts
The best possible scenario is to find an '04 that has been uncrated, but never used....meaning no fluids have ever been put in it....better dealerships won't ever start bikes, they'll have them sitting there pristine and empty.

·
Registered
836 Posts
lkm said:
Stratches or mismatched fairings.
Rims, check them.
Bar ends.
If the mods where installed properly.
condition of fluids in the bike, has brake fluid ever been bleed, oil changes.
tires, big flat spot in the middle = burnouts.
missing chasis bolts.
Chain, slack and how clean it looks, ie has it ever been cleaned.
then, check out the rider, get out the squid guage.
tires, big flat spot in the middle = long interstate commute? sensible riding? an area with mostly straight roads? Touring?

But bar ends are great indicators as to whether a bike's been on it's side or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I hear ya, ben. I've got 5k and flat spots on the oem tires and 0 burnouts and only 3 wheelies (all accidental...well except for maybe 1 when I put this guy in a mustang cobra in his place after he spun into 2nd for 3 straight lights)

Most of my mileage was done on I-35 at 75-85 mph (indicated) and straight as hell during some serious heat for the last 1k....DAMN I need new skins!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok riding

I live in oklahoma too and every tire i've ever put on gets the flat spots in the back. Tire pressure is always good and no burnouts, its just the stupid state's fault.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts