Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What to look for when buying...updated!

Hey all.

I have a line on a 2005 SV650 naked model. Under 2K miles, and unmolested by the pics I have seen. That being said, what should I look for with regards to any model-specific issues? (I checked the basics when I picked up my MX bike but thought the SV may have quirks of its own.) If there's a subforum around here that I missed in my youthful exuberance please advise and I'll quietly tear into it. Thanks in advance.

K

Edit: A friend and I picked up the bike on Saturday. I couldn't have asked for a better-kept SV. It looks showroom fresh except for one scratch on the factory exhaust (looks like a garage scrape). It gave a flawless cold start, has excellent tire condition (no squaring or low tread), slick shifting, zero mods, etc. Also, the dealer replaced the tank under recall a while back. My bud put 45 miles on it before we decided to load it into the truck for the last 120 miles home. He raved about it with a smile that couldn't be sanded off, heh.

These are addictive. Yesterday my wife sat on it for a few minutes and, after getting an idea of its heft, controls, etc., asked when she is taking the MSF class. We may need a second one in a year or so...anyway, so begins our street cycling journey. Thanks to all who responded to my questions.

PS We went to the Vintage Motorcycle Museum while we were in Solvang. Neat place. They have some radical bikes, including a rare non-raced Britten and a heinously ugly Ducati from 2001.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is that the year with the recalled gas tank?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
......oh great. I feel better already. heh

But that's a place to start, thanks.

Edit: Yes, yes it is that year. There's something to ask the owner, thanks again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey all.

I have a line on a 2005 SV650 naked model. Under 2K miles, and unmolested by the pics I have seen. That being said, what should I look for with regards to any model-specific issues? (I checked the basics when I picked up my MX bike but thought the SV may have quirks of its own.) If there's a subforum around here that I missed in my youthful exuberance please advise and I'll quietly tear into it. Thanks in advance.

K
It is so hard when you are buying use, the sky is the limit of questions to things that might be wrong but not revealed, in the end it is all a gamble...

You just got to make sure that you are buying something that you like, that way when you do find the little bodies under the rug, they won't bother you as much...

Maybe I am spoiled by new bikes, my last 3 bikes had been new and I just got a used one and man, everyday I discover an insignificant little thing that just went over my head when I went to check out the bike for the first time.

For example, by bike is basically new, only 5K miles, and everything looks good, but I know something is going on either a bad chain, sproket, tires or something, but I just don't like how that bike feels when I let go of the gas just coast while still in gear.

But, I am in love with this bike, this is the a dream come true, I knew what I wanted, I waited a long time until the right bike came along and the little ride that I gave it when I went to pick it up was not enough for someone like me to notice anything wrong.

The best thing to do is to find a mechanic friend or hire a season mechanic to go with you to look at the bike and to test ride the bike for you. What my bike is doing is something that a seasoned mechanic would had detected a mile away.

All my new bike I sold in prestine conditions, when ever I moded them I took extra care to preserve the original status as much as possible. On the other hand, the previous owner of my bike, he ment well but he just was not a delicate person. All his mods I have found areas where I would had put a little bit of extra effort to make it better.

He installed bar end mirrors which I thank him for doing so I did not have to pay anything to find out that I don't like bar end mirrors. But in the process of installing the mirros seems like he could not get loose the bar end weights so he just took one of those pressure plyers and scratch up down to the metal both bar end weights...

Where did we go wrong, why can people take pride in anything they do anymore and learn how to preserve anything that you don't need today for later or for those that come after you...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I should be able to get a pal, who has ridden for about 35 years and rides a Vstrom just about every day (doing his own work on it) to go with me to take a look. This guy is very detail oriented and his sister rides an SV650S so he's armed to the teeth with knowledge. :)

And I know what you mean. I've seen some bad shadetree work that makes me wonder if the previous owner cares about much at all. How well I take care of my possessions is a matter of pride. Sad that it isn't that way for more folks.

This is the original owner, and he just emailed me to say that he's sending more pics. He also wrote that the bike has been garaged when not in use and the tires look about 50% worn but not UV checked. Fingers crossed! And I need to ask about the gas tank recall when I reply.

I'm stoked. I'll probably head out there with cash and the truck next weekend. He's asking less than in other ads I've seen so if it checks out I'll need to grab a street helmet and my M1 cert asap. Oh forget it, I'll run my MX and goggles for a little bit, hooligan style. heh

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would say with 2k miles it is hard to be a risk

not much can go wrong, but give it a once over , look for leaks and anything obvious, noises are a hard one on Svs as they have thier own set of rattles and shakes, I took mine to a shop to be checked out because it made more noise than I liekd and was assured that all was normal for the SV

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kelly! I couldn't see any leaks in the pics sent so far but of course will know for sure when I see it. I told my friend to take good care of his ears before we check it out. I'll give a little pic here:

I think the only thing I could find was light water spotting on the windscreen. I don't blame him if he washed it before getting pics, I would too.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
+1 to what everybody else said.
I always ask for maint. receipts. And look at every nut, bolt & screw for evidence of rounding off or striipping - sure signs that an idiot has worked on it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good call terryb. I know I have to ask about the tank replacement, and either get the receipt or knock off a load if it hasn't been done.

I just realized I may have gone to high school with the owner. If he's who I think he is, he's no doofus. Time will tell.....and in the meantime I should buy myself some gear and a class. It's like being 16 again, only I'm less of a tool now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello,

That is funny, I just got the same exact bike about 1 month ego, 2005 SV650 Naked. Mine was not as clean and it had some mods, but I still jump on it with not regrets so far. I didn't know there was a gas tank recall for 2005 so I did not ask and I don't think my bike was corrected, but so far no problem with my gas tank, I just pray for GOD protection at all times.

From the look of that bike on the picture, how clean it is and how stock it is, zero mods, I think you should not make too much a fuzz about the tank issue and just jump on the deal unless you can spot something extremely wrong when you see it in person.

It takes the eyes of an eagle to spot a good deal and it takes the speed of a rabbit to snatch it. This is a great time to shop, take advantage of someone else needs and do not miss a good opportunity.

Now, let me elaborate on some other points ...

>> I'm stoked. I'll probably head out there with cash and the truck next weekend.

Do not ride that bike home without a tag or getting a temporary tag first. I got a $200 for riding a not register bike and not having a tag. The seller can get you a paper tag under his liability for $5, or you can get your own temporary paper tag under your own liability for $5, just call the DMV. Best would be to bring a trailer to haul the bike home.

>> He's asking less than in other ads I've seen

At the time of my purchase, a 2005 SV650 Naked was worth $4010 by my bank book value, they get the commercial version of KBB/NADA etc. I would say that bike should have a book value of $3900 by now, so I hope you are not paying any more then that...

>> so if it checks out I'll need to grab a street helmet and my M1 cert asap. Oh forget it, I'll run my MX and goggles for a little bit, hooligan style.

I don't know how much riding experience you have with these type of bikes and how long it has been since you have ridden and what kind of bike was your last bike.

Note that the SV are a complete different animal, they are not smooth by nature, SV are very torque/peaky with a lot of what I would call abrupt engine break. It is a complete different animal, very different from everything else, I don't want to get into a debate of the SV qualities here.

All I want to say is, be extra careful on your first ride and use all your proper gear just in case... Once you get used to the SV traits, it becomes second nature, but the first SV ride is always a bit of a shock for the regular Joe.

>> Noises are a hard one on SV as they have their own set of rattles and shakes,

>> I told my friend to take good care of his ears before we check it out.

+ to that. I once turned down a great deal on a 03 SV because of its natural engine noise as I was accustom to the sound and feel of the I4 engines.

The SV engine is noisy and sparky if that is even a word, and it uses a push rod valve system that tend to be noisier. Again, at first you will be shock by the engine traits, but eventually everything will feel normal.

The most important tool of a great mechanic are his ears, and that special hearing can only be obtained through years of experience dealings with engines. A good mechanic can tell you what is going on inside of an engine in less then 2 sec without even touching the vehicle.

Without any further ado here is a picture of my baby that should serve you for comparison...

Duty Engine...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great points SVibe, thanks a ton. I went too fast and forgot to write that we're in the truck with a ramp to bring it back, although now I could see my friend wanting to ride it through the 166 route back. Good tip on the tag.

Actually, you hit the price on the head! I don't plan to haggle much (if at all) if it is as good as it looks from here. I know about the countershaft seal leak and will check for that among other things. Having over 30 years of auto tinkering (had to start young, long story) and a bud who lives and breathes motorcycles won't hurt. heh

My KX250 is of course just an offroader, but it has me prepared to be sparing with the throttle as you suggest. I know that asphalt riding will be quite difficult, hence the MSF course and the million questions I ask my riding friends.

Thanks again for all the tips. Much appreciated.

Ken

PS I dig the way you hung your license.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great.

Let us know when you bring the baby home and post lots of pictures... :nana:

With regard the plate on the bottom, I had to get rid of that, here in FL the going rate for a horizontal tag is $1K, so if you look on the picture of the trailer, the plate is back up vertically right under the tail light...

Happy riding... SV are great!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Tank replacement is only for CA SV's - years 2003-2006:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/~/media/Recalls/TL_SV_DL_num_34_Fuel_Tank_Recall.ashx

Only advice I have is ask him to have the bike cold for you when you show up. The bike should fire very easily and should idle smoothly, even when cold. Listen for surging as the bike idles. I always look under foot pegs to see if the feelers are worn and at tires as evidence to how the bike was ridden. You can race a SV for 2K miles and it will still be just fine but it's worth a look. Ask when he did the first service, not "did you change the oil at 600 miles?"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roger that SVibe. Man, a grand for a tag rotated 90......we know where some salaries are made. And I plan to be quite happy, and camera happy.

siisgood: This one's a CA 2005 model so I need to ask the owner about it. Thanks for the reminder to have it start cold. These are the original tires, and if my bud tells me it looks hardly used (even for 1800 miles), and the hero-blob things are still long, I'll be happy. I wonder if the rear will be chicken-striped. If so, maybe it was really babied. heh

Thanks again guys. Off to dream about the bike.....and my first set of street gear, my M1 cert, etc etc etc....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Also too babied is bad for the tires too. My buddy just got a F4i and the front was so squared off it was unsafe to ride and he needed to replace it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heh, my friend mentioned that today. Since they're the originals I am budgeting for new, but the don't look squared off in the other pics the owner sent. By Saturday night it'll all shake out. Thanks for the input siisgood.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holy cow. I'll be busy every night until the weekend now! In a good way...Thanks man.

K

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I'm in the market for an SV650 or comprable (Kawi 650R or Yama FZ6). So far my research has SV with a small lead. Don't think I'll go wrong with any of them but it will probably going to come down to personal riding impression but watching a few youtube videos and hearing that 90Vtwin gave a definite edge!

Anyway, going to start touring dealerships for some hands-on research. Leaning towards used so what besides what's already been mentioned here should I be on the lookout for?

Model typical oil leaks at certain seals or cracking/fatigue on structures, etc?

Gimme some insight into your buying experiences

How close to the Bluebook value did you pay? should I expect to pay closer to the trade in value or dealer retail for a private seller with a used bike?

Also, when it comes to add-ons and mods, should I tack on the original price of part or factor in depreciation?

Hope that's not too much for one post. Thanks, ride safe,
Jay

1 - 20 of 26 Posts