Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 sv650s with a burning oil problem. I am 99% sure it’s not leaking as I have not found any leaks under when checking. Around every 200 miles I’m having to fill 1/4 of a quart. When I accelerate there is a small amount of smoke that comes out the back that you can only see when stopped. Also the inside of the exhaust has lots of black stuff which I’m guessing is burned oil. I am talking to two mechanics and one is saying he thinks it’s the piston rings and the only ways to see for sure is to take apart the engine and see and then replace the piston rings and rebuild the heads. The second one is saying that I should to a compression test and a leak down test to diagnose it first. The second one however is saying that won’t do anything and need to tear it down. Not sure what I should do as I am new to bike repair and would appreciate any advice

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I'd definitely do the compression and leak down tests to see just what is going on in the motor. See if it's pretty much the same with both cylinders, or if it's consentrated in one. Either way it's going to require a tear down to fix.

·
Premium Member
'18 SV650
84 Posts
Do the test, but it's very likely the rings. Mechanic #1 may not be talking straight; or else he knows very little about engines.

Does the engine produce excessive oil smoke when you start it after it's been sitting overnight? If so, then there may be worn valve guides or seals, and that would justify Mechanic #2's claim that the heads need to be rebuilt. If not, and if Mech#2 hasn't done any tests with a vacuum gauge, then he also may not be talking straight. Or he may be arguing that as long as he has everything apart you might as well have him do the valves. That could be a fair argument if the bike has high mileage.

·
very big dumb
9,102 Posts
are you checking the oil with the bike vertical?
if you check with the bike on the kickstand you're overfilling and burning off excess

procedure from manual:
run bike for a couple minutes
turn off and let sit for a minute
make the bike vertical
look at sight glass

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Very important to let the bike sit for a few minutes or oil won't have time to drain back down to the sump, giving you a false low.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a 2005 sv650s with a burning oil problem. I am 99% sure it’s not leaking as I have not found any leaks under when checking. Around every 200 miles I’m having to fill 1/4 of a quart. When I accelerate there is a small amount of smoke that comes out the back that you can only see when stopped. Also the inside of the exhaust has lots of black stuff which I’m guessing is burned oil. I am talking to two mechanics and one is saying he thinks it’s the piston rings and the only ways to see for sure is to take apart the engine and see and then replace the piston rings and rebuild the heads. The second one is saying that I should to a compression test and a leak down test to diagnose it first. The second one however is saying that won’t do anything and need to tear it down. Not sure what I should do as I am new to bike repair and would appreciate any advice
I have an '04 I purchase brand new... around town uses very little oil if any... riding fast'n'hard on 2-4 day rides it uses 1/3rd of a litre every day without fail... 1 litre on a 3 day ride... has done since new... i've run it on API-SN spec car oil since new as it's half the price of bike oil... 110,000km ... its fitted with an oil pressure gauge and O.P. hasn't ever changed... Personally I wouldn't worry about it as there is nothing you can do about it. If your like me then just ride it... enjoy it... put oil in as necessary....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an '04 I purchase brand new... around town uses very little oil if any... riding fast'n'hard on 2-4 day rides it uses 1/3rd of a litre every day without fail... 1 litre on a 3 day ride... has done since new... i've run it on API-SN spec car oil since new as it's half the price of bike oil... 110,000km ... its fitted with an oil pressure gauge and O.P. hasn't ever changed... Personally I wouldn't worry about it as there is nothing you can do about it. If your like me then just ride it... enjoy it... put oil in as necessary....
Yea for me it was ridiculous tho. Like 1/4 a quart like every 200 miles or so. Id go out for a ride and have to fill it up then go out for another ride and fill it up. Was getting really annoying and wouldve spent a lot on oil and stuff. I got my piston rings replaced around 19,000 miles and my bike is at 26,000 miles and inbetween those 7k miles I only lost like maybe a quart or quart and a half of oil.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Something is definitely wrong for an SV650 to be using oil.
I use Amsoil 10W-40 full syn in my '09, ridden hard, oil changed at 3500 miles, no usage. Still the same sight glass level as it was when I filled it at the last change.
It has nothing to do with the brand/type of oil used. The motor is going to burn it, or not, no matter the label on the oil bottle.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
826 Posts
I burn about a half quart in 500 miles, gen1, 11,500 miles on the odometer. I just add oil and consider it good engine lubrication.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Having had to deal with higher oil usage ever since I changed the front cylinder head with a random used one and researched the problem, my guess is this:
leaky valve seals

This seems to be the main reason for oil consumption on SVs according to my research and a 60k mile engine that was taken apart on the German SVRider site. That engine showed very little wear on rings, cylinder walls and valve guides, but its valve seals had hardened and had slightly damaged top rings.

Your bike's mileage is not high enough for the cylinder rings to have worn down, but the bike is old enough for the valve seals to have dried out, especially if it wasn't ridden regularly.

When do you see smoke? If it's on startup only it points to valve seals (see post #9 in this thread).

Possible causes for high oil consumption:
• Valve seal leak on exhaust side --> no oil in combustion chamber, so no discolored fumes are visible, but oily residue in exhaust pipes and muffler
• Valve seal leak on intake side --> discolored fumes on cold start, vanish when engine is warm
• Piston compression rings are worn out --> discolored fumes at all times; compression will be low or variation between dry and wet compression test will be significant
• Piston oil ring is worn out --> smoke on deceleration; oil is not scraped off from piston wall, so it is burned in the combustion chamber; compression test won't show any problem, neither will a leak down test.

Edit: added link to picture of used valve seals on German SVRider page.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts