Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im planning on taking a road trip all over the western states this summer.... The trip is going to take approximately 2-3 weeks. I will be starting in Sandy Eggo CA, looping up to the border of Canananada and then returning to the point from which i started. What would you suggest that I bring? I plan on camping 2 out of 3 days and on the 3rd day spending the night at a hostel or hotel....

ps: this thread is on the touring category too, but i see more eyes here

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
bring irish whiskey.

seriously, make sure to include a first aid kit and flat repair kit along with your camping gear.

(and bring irish whiskey too.)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Pack 3 changes of clothes and wash them instead of trying to pack a weeks worth of clothes. Keep the shoes to a minimum, they take up lots of room. Riding undies, regular undies, socks, rain gear, some safety stuff, like tire plugs, zip ties and maybe a spare brake lever.

Pack your stuff in garbage bags in the saddle and tail bags. That keeps you from having to stop to put on covers if it rains. And it will you can almost count on it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pack 3 changes of clothes and wash them instead of trying to pack a weeks worth of clothes. Keep the shoes to a minimum, they take up lots of room. Riding undies, regular undies, socks, rain gear, some safety stuff, like tire plugs, zip ties and maybe a spare brake lever.

Pack your stuff in garbage bags in the saddle and tail bags. That keeps you from having to stop to put on covers if it rains. And it will you can almost count on it.
Excellent tips! thank you very much :)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
You're welcome. We did a 2 week trip last summer through 9 states covering over 3700 miles. So there's some experience there.

Look at the LDComfort riding undies, they are well worth their price. Get at least 2 pair.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're welcome. We did a 2 week trip last summer through 9 states covering over 3700 miles. So there's some experience there.

Look at the LDComfort riding undies, they are well worth their price. Get at least 2 pair.
I'll check them out for sure. I take it you were riding a SV, would you say its a dependable bike?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
roadies and groupies.

synthetic clothes (like under armor) dry overnight, so you can get away with packing 3 shirts and 3 pairs of shorts. Same for nylon or polypropylene socks.

a few common nuts and bolts, something to repair the shift lever with if necessary. Water bottle, snacks (not for munching, for long legs where you can't find food), maps, tire plugs and small pump. Forget those CO2 repair kits. Extra bungee or tie downs, very basic tool kit.

Do yourself a favor and keep going past the border a bit, come up through montana (some great twisties and scenery) and then scoot over to interior BC for some of the best twisties in our country.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm actually finalizing my list right now. I'm flying down to Christchurch, New Zealand tomorrow afternoon for a couple weeks on a rented SV650.

Last year I spent a month riding up and down the west coast on a Ninja 250, ended up packing too much (My setup) so I'm hoping to apply some of the lessons learned from that trip. I'm not taking camping gear this time, though, and there are some stuff I wouldn't take if there wasn't a flight required just to get to the bike (ie, some of the luggage), but still...

If it helps, I've got a small travel blog setup for family / friends so I don't have to deal with email. My latest posting has a list of what I've got packed so far. One big difference between my list and what you should take is tools. Make a list of the tools you think you'll need and take only those for the issues you think you'd be able to fix on the side of the road. If it's a issue that'll require taking it to a shop or calling for help then you can borrow their tools. For instance, when I went on my west coast trip I took a small bag with just the main sockets my bike used and a couple screwdriver bits. I'm glad I did...I had to swap out petcocks, fix a busted sidestand and tighten the chain while on the road. Just don't take your entire toolbox...

http://kiwibound.livejournal.com/

BTW: Highway 101... It can get crowded with tourists but it's a **** nice road. Beautiful scenery, some fun twisties, nice beaches, etc. Northern Cali and Southern Oregon are the best stretches in my opinion, though Washington is also good. 299 and 96 are also very, very nice. If they end up taking you in the direction you want to, take them ;D

EDIT: Spend some time at local camping / backpacking stores. REI is a good one, though check out locally owned places if you can. I've gotten some excellent space saving ideas just browsing thru their inventory, especially the backpackers section (they have to travel very light). Also, look into a Jetboil. It's a combination thermos / camping stove. Quick to setup in the morning for a quick meal of hot oatmeal and hot chocolate and more than once it's been a lifesaver after arriving to a campsite cold, wet and hungry yet miles from anything resembling a restaurant. :)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I'll check them out for sure. I take it you were riding a SV, would you say its a dependable bike?
Yes, very much so. I was in a group of liter bikes, with my little SV. I had no problems keeping up with them. Of course when we parked anywhere no one bothered it because they were ogling the duc and boxer cup replica.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
roadies and groupies.

synthetic clothes (like under armor) dry overnight, so you can get away with packing 3 shirts and 3 pairs of shorts. Same for nylon or polypropylene socks.

a few common nuts and bolts, something to repair the shift lever with if necessary. Water bottle, snacks (not for munching, for long legs where you can't find food), maps, tire plugs and small pump. Forget those CO2 repair kits. Extra bungee or tie downs, very basic tool kit.

Do yourself a favor and keep going past the border a bit, come up through montana (some great twisties and scenery) and then scoot over to interior BC for some of the best twisties in our country.
I'm actually finalizing my list right now. I'm flying down to Christchurch, New Zealand tomorrow afternoon for a couple weeks on a rented SV650.

Last year I spent a month riding up and down the west coast on a Ninja 250, ended up packing too much (My setup) so I'm hoping to apply some of the lessons learned from that trip. I'm not taking camping gear this time, though, and there are some stuff I wouldn't take if there wasn't a flight required just to get to the bike (ie, some of the luggage), but still...

If it helps, I've got a small travel blog setup for family / friends so I don't have to deal with email. My latest posting has a list of what I've got packed so far. One big difference between my list and what you should take is tools. Make a list of the tools you think you'll need and take only those for the issues you think you'd be able to fix on the side of the road. If it's a issue that'll require taking it to a shop or calling for help then you can borrow their tools. For instance, when I went on my west coast trip I took a small bag with just the main sockets my bike used and a couple screwdriver bits. I'm glad I did...I had to swap out petcocks, fix a busted sidestand and tighten the chain while on the road. Just don't take your entire toolbox...

http://kiwibound.livejournal.com/

BTW: Highway 101... It can get crowded with tourists but it's a **** nice road. Beautiful scenery, some fun twisties, nice beaches, etc. Northern Cali and Southern Oregon are the best stretches in my opinion, though Washington is also good. 299 and 96 are also very, very nice. If they end up taking you in the direction you want to, take them ;D

EDIT: Spend some time at local camping / backpacking stores. REI is a good one, though check out locally owned places if you can. I've gotten some excellent space saving ideas just browsing thru their inventory, especially the backpackers section (they have to travel very light). Also, look into a Jetboil. It's a combination thermos / camping stove. Quick to setup in the morning for a quick meal of hot oatmeal and hot chocolate and more than once it's been a lifesaver after arriving to a campsite cold, wet and hungry yet miles from anything resembling a restaurant. :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep it in mind as I get my stuff together. I was hoping to have some freinds come along on the trip but unsuprisingly its looking like its going to be a solo mission. I dont mind, if anything I enjoy the challenge, but you know, its more fun to have some amigos on the side. But ya, again, thanks for the tips, very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Also check out www.canyonchasers.net Dave is on the board here, Canyonchaser, obviously, and he's got a ton of experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts