Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 03 suzuki with 5k miles last year. I put 5k miles on it in the first season which included a 13 hours ride from North Jersey to Union Mills NC nearly 700 miles in one day! I then spent the next day at tail of the dragon Deals Gap Ten. This wore my tires down a bit! My question for you guys is what is the largest tire that will fit on my bike without modifications on the stock rims? Also, any advantages and disadvantages that go along with this decision. I know that normally you put back what the manufacturer put there to begin with, but would like to get some opinions/info.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
524 Posts
160 on the rear. that's what the manufacturer recommends right? If there was a better size they would had went with it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
General rule of thumb:
4.5" rim = 160
5" rim = 170
5.5" = 180
SV stock wheels are 4.5", so 160 is the best bet. Some mfg's rate their 170's as a fitment on 4.5" wheels. Best to check with the mfg for best fitments. You'll find that most mfg's recommend 160/60/17 for our lovely SV's. Personally I think that size is a perfect for the power and chassis of the SV. And you really don't gain anything by changing the stock size... except maybe a pinched tire profile.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
What an original question, I can't believe it has never been asked. Hey Nexus, maybe you can help this guy out?

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
This "Holy Crap" you speak of.....is it blessed by just a regular priest......or do you need a bishop? ;D
I believe this particular crap was touched by the son of god himself.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This "Holy Crap" you speak of.....is it blessed by just a regular priest......or do you need a bishop? ;D
I worked this theory out many years ago. "Holy Crap" is derived from the immaculate turd. And that would be... A turd which is accompanied by so much gas that it exits without actually touching, thus no wiping is required...

Really. You can look it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i see that they make up to 200 for pilot power 2's for 17 inch rims but i dont know if they will fit the 03 suzuki

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Rim diameter is irrelevant when purchasing wheels. The width of the wheels is how you decide what tires you can run.

The SV has a 4.5" rim that will not fit bigger than the recommended 160 without altering the profile of the tire to a dangerous point.

Like riding, what you decide to do is a risk outside of the engineer's recommendations.

A 180 looks weird and I doubt a 200 will even be able to keep a bead on the stock sv rim.

EDIT: Everyone on the forums will tell you the same thing in their own sarcastic way. That's just how we (not unlike your tires) roll.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Best bet is to stick with the 160 if you're going to keep your stock rims. If you wanted to do a wheel swap then you could go as large as a 180 in the stock swingarm though some have claimed to run 190's but clearance would be VERY tight if it's even possible.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts