Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the tail section off my 03 (CA model) the other day and on the r/s there is a black canister , I'm guessing that is a smog canister or something. Is it possible to remove it ? i dont really see the need for it if its a smog device

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
powderdtoastman said:
Is it possible to remove it ? i dont really see the need for it if its a smog device
Why do you want to remove it if you don't know its function? If it is part of the emission control system, why don't you accept that as a "need for it?"

·
Registered
597 Posts
Not sure but...

I remember reading something about a canister under the rear side plastics. I'm not exactly sure but that could be an evarapitive control canister for the gas tank.

But remember, the bike is made to work with that stuff on there. If you just start ripping parts off, you could end up with a big mess.

Taking the PAIR system off was as far as I was willing to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
WTG, take that all you tree huggin hippies!!!

serisouly, why remove it tho? did you notice a large gain in HP??? More top end? Lets see the dyno

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
black canister

I'm pretty sure that is a canister w/ charcol in it to absorb gas fumes venting from gas tank. I removed one like that from another bike because the canister hung down by the rear wheel and, unless you put a beer sticker or NOS sticker on it I thought it looked goofy. Removing it will give you a little less weight, 'bout the same as a good bm:). If you do remove it, you may have some vacuum hoses to seal off, and have to route the vent hose down so vent to atmosphere. No performance increase by removing it and it does keep your bike from stinking up your garage/kitchen/bedroom (wherever you keep your bike) w/ gas fumes.

If someone knows better, please correct me.

Bones

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same thing on my VMax. It's for vapor recovery, emission stuff. My Yamaha mech told me it has no effect on power etc., but if it gets full, then I would remove it. If the bike is to stay in CA there might be inspection issues?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wills said:
If the bike is to stay in CA there might be inspection issues?
if you live in biggest little city in world you dont need it :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a few months late, but I've had the smog removal issue on my mind and just recent found this link. (right now)

My old RF600R had BIG gains with the removal of CA smog including the loss of about 5 pounds of weight. Of course the SV being an FI system vs. carb'd it may behave in a completely different manner. Has anyone actually removed all the smog and tested it for hp/torque/mpg changes?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
wills said:
If the bike is to stay in CA there might be inspection issues?
no inspection issues here....

·
Registered
2 Posts
california from my knowledge hasn't instated motorcycle inspections (unless pulled over for another offense). At least in the 10 years I've been riding here I haven't had one or heard of anyone getting one.. Cars, thats another story..

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I hate to be a party pooper, but.... Do the world a favor and leave it on.

-Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts