Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on '01 naked with a tank bra on it. Was looking at a Nelson-Rigg MG-950 Pro to match my N-R SB500 saddle bags, but think it may be too long. Also looking at the N-R CL-300 mini. Both the MG and CL are magnetic.

Tried a Joe Rocket Sport Tank Bag, but found it was way too tall for my liking... obstructed my view of the gages.

Nobody around here seems to really stock these items.

So, what brand/model are you guys using?

Magnetic or straps?

My only requirements are a map pocket and that it not be too tall (more than 6 inches or so).

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts

Brand: Fieldsheer

Type: Rio Series

attaches with magnets

I love it and use it all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I'm using a Cortech magnetic tank bag. I think I paid around $70 for it at the dealer. It has an expansion zipper, map pocket and a removeable rain cover. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I use a Givi Voyager tank bag. Has a smaller base bag, and then a larger expandable bag which zips on if you care for the extra room. Both bags have map pockets, plus random pockets on the side, and a nice change/money pocket for tolls.

It's magnetic.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i use this one

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cortech Mini Mag. It came with the bike. Huge when expanded, barely know it's there when in normal form.

It's not very big at all, but I still feel my jacket and helmet touch it when I tuck way in. I'm thinking a Joe Rocekt Manta in silver would do me well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use the same Nelson Rigg which you listed. Had it about 6 months and am pleased with the bag itself. However, I use it everyday for commuting and it's faded something fierce. Looks kinda purplish black now. I should've been taking it off while parked. Nice bag, just beware the sunfade. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

Icon Primer, I have the black one. Small, yet holds alot and its got way sticky magnets on it.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Tourmaster Cortech Super-Mini Magnetic

It's pretty small, but you can fit more than you think in there. I fit 4 cans of soda, plus my usual wallet, cellphone, keychain, pens, case for earplugs...and it actually had a little bit of room to spare.

I was pretty leary of something heavy being up there like that with nothing holding it on but magnets...but 4 cans of soda is pretty heavy, and I've been up to 80 mph with it there, and it didnt budge.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use the Luggage Locker. It bolts to the gas cap ring, and never touches the paint. It locks securely in place, and never flies off even if it's completely empty. It's expandable (like most) and the mounting ring can be used for their camera mount or laptop bag, but not at the same time. I'm having trouble getting the camera to stop oscilating, and the waterproof bag isn't waterproof when it's expanded. Other than that, I have no complaints. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with the system. It was a bit expensive, but you are definitely paying for quality. You can not tell that mine has been through a crash. If I were to do it again, I would probably buy the (non-waterproof) Cordura version, or (because they do custom stuff) ask that the expander be left out of the waterproof one. On the SV people asked me about it all the time, but on the S4 people only notice the bike.

Here's the bag.
Here's the camrea mount.

They have some innovative tail bag options as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Chase Harper expandable one. I bought it used off ebay so it was a good deal, but I wouldn't buy it again. The way it expands, using velcro to keep it "unexpanded" annoys me. It does have a super handy clear map section on top though, which is mostly what I use.

·
Registered
398 Posts
gahdzila said:
Tourmaster Cortech Super-Mini Magnetic
I have this one as well. Very nice for light duty. My only beef with it is the map packet is tapered towards the opening. This makes it more difficult to insert maps than it needs to be, and kinda limits the usefulness of the map packet.

If I were to do it again, Id buy one with a more square top profile for the maps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've also used several other brands of bags, velcro is a bad way to de-expand a bag.

No bag without a map pocket is even worth the space it takes up in my closet. I got a Joe Rocket Manta, because it came free with my Triumph, so that's how much I charged Beldude for it. I guess it would be ok if you know all the roads where you were going, or (like Beldude) you only use map books that don't fit in the pocket anyway, but for me it was just useless.

I also like my bag to have a side pocket, because I'm an EZ-Passless neanderthall, and I need access to my tokens.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I use a Bagster Alpha, which clips onto my tank cover. It's a wee bit bulky even when collapsed but otherwise it's fantastic- expands to be basically as big as you'd ever want a tankbag to be, totally waterproof, no question of it moving about or damaging paintwork as the cover's designed to work with it, even looks OK. Not cheap though...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oxford Humpback Tank Bag

Just map pouch (base with bag taken off):

Normal:

Expanded:

EDIT: it's magnetic, but it has a strap that can go around the steering stem for more peace of mind. I use the strap, but I've never had a problem with the bag moving, the magnets are really powerful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts